No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found the last and final short (remember, 2 shorts - one through the fuel pump and one somewhere else) - the wires to the injectors weren't protected well enough. I don't like the design, but silicone fixes everything - and this time I think it was the best solution... we'll see

other work
    those belts I had before wouldn't hold you in place - I like racing harnesses so that's what I went with, yeah, not DOT legal, but so what? I've no problem going and arguing it in front of a judge... heck, that's what I do for a day job.

the plan is a belt bar across behind the seats then feed the harnesses through... tomorrow, at this point these are 100% better then what I had before.

antenna mount for my HAM radio. I still don't know where I'm going to mount it - probably remote-face mount but in any case I need an antenna, so that is what's next

I may bedline it... dunno, don't have tonight so this is where I stopped
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Time for another radio
      I don't love at all the smell of fresh paint being drilled through

but I did it anyway

hard part done

radio works. controller goes on the dash, the rest in the locked, glove box.

I was concerned about hearing the radio - but the dash actually works like a big boom box so locking the chassis in the glove box actually makes it more hearable.

so I think I have enough radios now. This radio transmits/receives on CB band, HAM bands 70cm, 2m, 6m, and 10m, and receives am/fm bands along with 800 mhz (police bands). Of course, I also have a regular CD player AND a CB.... can't have enough radios. lol.... I carry enough radios - I think... I have a couple hand-held HAM radios, FRS radios, and a CB radio.... why? because yelling through your windshield for someone to stop before they drive off a cliff is wildly ineffective....

Comment

• That would be the logical point to affix your antenna for good ground plane... I understand that there are trials and tribulations when undertaking a project of this magnitude, and while frustrating, you have to admit that your planning and ingenuity have limited them to a minimum... now enjoy the fruits of your labor!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• A friend suggested front to take advantage of the hood for the ground plane - that seemed like a good spot anyway and made wiring a cinch..

forgot a finished picture of the radio install (as if anything is ever finished)

Comment

• Some days....

So I drove it today to be sure I'd fixed all of the issues. That would be a big negatory. Now it pops the CEL on, puts the computer into limp-home mode (open loop), and throws a 44 code. A 44 code is the computer is getting a low voltage reading from the O2 sensor. That could be a bad O2 sensor - which is kind of unlikely because it seemed to be working fine before the whole wiring issue (and I realize that I may have fixed this too). Or the MAS is bad. Or a vacuum leak....

I'm thinking I'm going to take it to my mechanic friend tomorrow.... he needs to align it anyway... sigh.

but it has really cool radios in it

Comment

• It was the O2 sensor, I found how to test, I tested another 02 sensor I had - it tested fine; I pulled the O2 sensor from the truck - it didn't read at all.

Comment

• If it 'tain't one thing, it's 'tother (as we say in the NC mountains). Sorry it's fighting you.

Dan

Comment

• thanks... I've won, for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    thanks... I've won, for now.
                    It's a good feeling when you win!
                    Tim
                    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• enjoy the minor victories as they come... the losses seem to have habits of lingering on... but, you already know this....
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• O2 testing station

Comment

• Stick the probes in and heat? What values are you looking for?
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• anything but zero - if it doesn't work, the resistence won't change at all. If it does, it bounces all over the place - try not to get it too hot, I think its max temp is 900 degrees (the probe, not the shell on the outside)

woohoo parts to install

I don't like hooks because they can pop off and kill you.

but I hated the idea of destroying a hook to get it off (why, smittybilt, why?)

as you can see, I got over it

factor 55 builds an end that allows you to use shackles - thus you have a closed-loop-winching situation and it's much, much safer. Also, it allows you to run a license plate (stay tuned for how)

next a stabilizer. I knew I was going to put a stabilizer on it, but I didn't want to band-aid a problem so I drove for awhile without... that said, it does a neat death wobble when you hit a pothole or railroad tracks with one-tire-first.... so I'm fixing that

so I went through these ideas first

before I raided my parts box to create my own - funny, buying 2 stabilizers in a kit is cheaper then buying two stabilizers.

the parts

for those who think I can't weld, look away

a teaser while the paint dries

I'm also probably going to relocate my cross-steering arm up onto a high-steer arm then relocated the frame mount of the panhard down so that the bar is parallel with the ground... then it'll handle like a sports car....

Comment

• For the O2 sensor test - these are the instructions I followed

Comment

• Those sure look familiar. Weird size shocks I removed from the CJ7 frame....

Compared to your new stabilizer shocks

Looks like I may have found a use for them after all.
                                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X