No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and while you're collecting your thoughts to respond to the missing part inside the transmission ... consider this - there are 4 bolts on the top of the transmission. All are in the same spot until I go to put it back together... now one has been changed for another bolt.... there is no one in the shop and the mice died long ago.... probably I'm just seeing the spooky action at a distance - and to think, they made a huge collider in Switzerland to prove what I just did in my shop.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• WEIRD AIN'T IT !
      I was thinking this Only happens in my shop.
      Even was straining the barn cat's litter box too see if that they went thru the "Black Panther" !! Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1026.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1265138

Comment

• good news is it was a Hummer transmission.... means I can replace it with a brand new part for pretty cheap... how cheap - $200 for a high mile, $1500 for brand new..... time to argue .... errr.... negotiate with a wrecking yard.

I know, I know, why don't I just find the bolt that's floating around inside:

1) it's a 'special' bolt meaning no one seems to make it

2) it's probably stuck to a magnet inside the case - and I have enough trouble already without that gremlin popping up at the worst possible moment

3) the synchros were marginal from the beginning

and.... having spare parts about (an entire transmission) is good practice (especially when they're dirt cheap)

Comment

• $325 for an 80k transmission... that works. my plan is to swap then rebuild this trans and put it on the shelf....

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            so I didn't get much done today. beside picking up the Land Rover, installing a new microwave, and installing a drain on a water container the '40 got ignored....ish

seat base

I'm going to remove the electronics and simply use a key.

but of course to install that I need to take advantage of unexpected nice weather and haul the shell to get sand blasted

and pull the transmission from the frame so I can do some finish work on the clutch, etc

pull the tailshaft off

nothing looks broken

basically I need to hone out the seal area a bit more to get a seal installed

and for those who wonder how this happened... yeah, me. I don't know why it came out but I had it apart to put the seal in place (which is why I was looking in old pictures - to find out what seal I need...).... dagnabit all.... now you all won't think I'm perfect.... worst of all is you'll have proof.

Comment

• well, $300 later and there is new, old hotness

and y'all said Toyotas cannot fly

Comment

• Well my Off Road compadre......
                I bought swap meet rims, sand blasted them, flat black painted Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200309_132521.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	785.9 KB
ID:	1265284e

​​​​​
                Last edited by Captain; March 18, 2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Then New Tires Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200317_155923.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	1265286 Being a Smart Idiot, checked the brakes while swapping Tires and Rims.
                  Good Idea, rear brakes were at the end of their service life !! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200317_183149.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	672.3 KB
ID:	1265287

Comment

• And of course found some other things that needed attention too !!
                    So for the unexpected extra work, all things are Good for another 49,000 miles

Comment

• time to remove stuff

thankfully when I bought the hard to find seal before, I bought 2

t-case out

now that I have a lathe, I'll make this really square

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                        And of course found some other things that needed attention too !!
                        So for the unexpected extra work, all things are Good for another 49,000 miles
                        not sure why you're adding this to my FJ40 build page....

Comment

• Because I know you would look here.
                          All is GOOD....

that is it ....

Comment

• Sorry for inserting a like subject in your story.
                            It took 3 posts to get the little bit of the Timber Cruiser's upgrades as I live in the Iron Triangle of Area BFE of Wisconsin. And phone, internet service is sketchy.
                            ​​​​​​I can share these with you thru a PM in the future.
                            Again, please accept my apology

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                              Sorry for inserting a like subject in your story.
                              It took 3 posts to get the little bit of the Timber Cruiser's upgrades as I live in the Iron Triangle of Area BFE of Wisconsin. And phone, internet service is sketchy.
                              ​​​​​​I can share these with you thru a PM in the future.
                              Again, please accept my apology
                              no apology necessary, just better explanation of how it fits.... it seemed very random...
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 19, 2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• brace

and it's out

with water draining from it....

blow the new trans apart

yep, there was water

water problem solved

oh look, the missing bolt

it takes grinding to adapt the front trans... or simply swap the already fixed one

and put the 'old' housing on

and clean and put the front on... the cordless milwaukie die grinder works awesome for this

new ready to install

installed

a bunch of fixes... for example, I didn't have a lathe when I built this.... now I do, now I can square it

maybe 20 thou off? not terrible

visual representation

much closer... tomorrow I'll finish that up

Comment

Working...
                                X