No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the top brace removable? If so, how?
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
      Is the top brace removable? If so, how?
      see the allen screw?

you can see the parting line in the bottom picture, the top picture is without the cross brace welded to the removable bit.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 16, 2015, 09:35 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I don't normally open my cake hole when I follow a build but...I gotta say...I am glad you added the additional bracing on the shock towers...it was bugging me :-)

*sigh* it isn't a black diesel Chevy but I guess it's pretty cool...still a little bitter but....this one is growing on me more and more.... :-D

keep them pics coming...I have to live vicariously thru someone it may as well be you!
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

see the allen screw?

you can see the parting line in the bottom picture, the top picture is without the cross brace welded to the removable bit.

I did see that. It seems to be a pretty slick widget. I'm having trouble visualizing how it comes off with it welded. It appears to me the shock towers would have to spread to get it out of there. Have you removed it since you welded the ends on?

I've been enjoying watching the build. Keep up the good work.
          Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
          79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• yes, it does remove (there are two of them, one on either end of the cross bar) - that's where the admonition about not welding it together (very close tolerance) comes in... when I welded it, I got too close to the lower bolt so I had to touch it with a grinder to get it to come apart. and the motor wouldn't come out without the bar being removed.

they make these in a variety of sizes, including large enough ones to use for transmission cross members
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 16, 2015, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Believe it or not, I'm getting close to starting the final mechanical assembly....
              shock mount

drill through

I observed something interesting. I have a 3/8" B&D corded drill and my makita got too warm so I went to use the B&D... not 50% of the power of the cordless Makita... though I may have injured it drilling 4 2" holes

welded in

My corvette dolly works as a FJ40 dolly as well

and some green on the inside of the frame rails

I would have gone with black however there's like a month-wait... and I'll spray the frame black which will cover the green nicely. Sunday the plan is to paint most of the frame. I can't do all of it because I'm not done with the rear shocks... so I'll tape that off and paint it later... I can paint it under the vehicle, so it's really not a big deal...

anyway, shipwreck is getting there

Comment

• Just in time to climb some bluffs before the winter mud!

Comment

• well I goofed.... I read the instructions. The KBS coating that I'm using has a main coat and a top coat for stuff exposed to sunlight. Not only that but it uses its own thinner (and I'm brushing this on). So no paint this weekend (even though it'd be perfect weather for doing so since it is supposed to be 90* on Sunday). Oh well, I'll finish up the cage, etch it, and the corners so I can paint all of it at once. Maybe I'll even make the frame perfect rather than close enough...

Comment

• Today's fun... etching the frame
                    but first, how to turn the frame over... I could drive to Portand (7 hours there and back) and borrow my dad's rotisserie or I could make one or I could hum a few bars and do something that should work

and it works

yeah, so I didn't get it perfectly balanced... oh well
                    so then the phosphate acid bath begins

since I plan on painting the cage at the same time... it's time to remove it

I guess I'll post pictures of the actual removal tomorrow... and of what I'm going to do with the paint on the tub (once I decide what I'm going to do - I need to remove the red because it's not adhering well enough to paint over.... but I'm loathe to strip it)

Comment

• The winch mount. I see 4 holes drilled - are those to mount the winch, or are those drain holes?
                      My thoughts are that the winch mount looks like it would hold water, sand, mud, etc. which could be bad.

Comment

• mud? sand? water? that's crazy-talk.... this is a pavement princess. actually, I hadn't thought of that - I probably should drill a hole or two for water drainage

Comment

• Heck! I thought it was a step with the winch underneath....

Comment

• I thought it was going to make an awesome cooler mounting location......
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                              I thought it was going to make an awesome cooler mounting location......

It's for the Jeep-extraction-device. Cooler goes behind the seat.... and I'll still have room for passengers.

Comment

• Ouch....Touche'!
                                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X