No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a bit of bouncing about tonight. I'm kind of waiting for parts (especially a seal) - so I did whatever I figured needed doing
    first was weld the extensions together

I've been robbing parts from the Buick - but it makes no sense to simply sit on the parts for another 5 years

I ordered new lines and I'll have to adapt to the Scout box (7/16 fitting rather then 18 mm).... however, everything from the pump is metric so it won't be that hard to do. I also have to put another return into the power steering pump.... easy enough. I want brakes, and hydraboost will give me solid brakes - especially with 4 wheel disk brakes
    adapted the pedals

then I started planning the brake lines and putting the various sensors on the motor for EFI and the electronic dash

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• sandblast the body or not?

If I do sandblast (soda blast), do I do it now or after I've finished welding up the floor and the holes in the firewall?

the issue I'm running against right now is I have maybe 8 weeks more of days to paint/protective coat - otherwise, it won't get warm enough during the day to coat until next summer...

Comment

• You have done it all right so far....... it would be a shame to back off now.

I am in the same situation. Blast the frame before or after welding. My blaster really really really likes to prime stuff before he turns it loose. I want to give it the fine tooth comb going over while its naked though.

Blasting ALWAYS uncovers SOMETHING you weren't exactly aware of, so there is guaranteed to be more welding afterwards anyways.

Might as well just leave the floor and firewall holes for that session.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Parts, not the right parts, but parts and I made them work

I got to see this a lot - I would have updated last night but there was no update since I got to see this again today

cleanup a bit

problem 1
          that slot is in the wrong spot AND it doesn't have an o-ring - fortunately, I got to take it back apart and fix that today

adapter back in place

gear in place, if you look closely on your left, you'll see a copper colored shim...last night, after I had it all together, I spun the input and it hung up. I pulled it apart, and one shim hadn't stayed in place when I put it together.... thus, I got to see the first empty picture again today.

mufflers and cats came today

1st fitting

better fitting

now with brace

Comment

• so I didn't get much done today. beside picking up the Land Rover, installing a new microwave, and installing a drain on a water container the '40 got ignored....ish

seat base

I'm going to remove the electronics and simply use a key.

but of course to install that I need to take advantage of unexpected nice weather and haul the shell to get sand blasted

and pull the transmission from the frame so I can do some finish work on the clutch, etc

pull the tailshaft off

nothing looks broken

basically I need to hone out the seal area a bit more to get a seal installed

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 17, 2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• If you are of a sensitive nature... these pictures are NSFW!!!!!
              This goes doubly true if you like other netizens who say "ahoy matey"....especially those ones with such delicate constitution

DO NOT ENTER!

There will be NUDITY

my FJ40 is NAKED!

and other then showing a bit much underside

isn't too bad... I was concerned after digging 1/4" of bondo out of the rear corner

that said, I may have to find a fender solution

and I started welding holes tonight.... I think I'll keep the dehumidifier running in the shop and leave it naked while I fill all its holes

Comment

• may have to send those fenders to M&PC to be extended to fit over the front tires and patched/planished into submission!
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• M&PC are great people and have amazing skills - that said, it'd take less time and cost a whole lot less money if I did it myself. Which is EXACTLY why I'm doing this instead

metal tech tube fenders.

A well-kept secret in here is that I used to do that kind of stuff - only I didn't use paint everything I did was bare stainless steel. If I were to send sheet-metal-work out, I'd be disowned by my dad and couldn't attend a family get-together... It's also why I'm a white collar worker - that stuff is tough on the joints.

And you will actually see - the sledanette should be a good showcase of what I used to do.

Anyway, now you know - keep the secret

Comment

• OK... read you 5X5
                    Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Dang Man. Where is the swiss-cheese that blasting ALWAYS uncovers?

That's some nice naked metal right there. Jealous.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• that only happens on TV.

Comment

• party on Wayne...
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Today has been a nightmare, and tonight's work wasn't any better
                            I got the clutch on

and think I'm going to go with a pull-style hydraulic clutch..

then the problems started. So I first started with the hydraulic slave cylinder. I think I figured out why I has having so much trouble in my Corvette - the outlets I think were hitting on the housing - but only occasionally (hanging up on ribs).... I noticed it on here... so I spent plenty of time putzing about trying to make that work. Then went to the throwout style - and ran into another problem, I thought I drove the bushing in far enough (mind you, this was the 2nd bushing - yesterday I got reminded that the NAPA SKF version is too big and won't go in - I had this problem on the Corvette too)... this time, I though I hit it to bottom (felt like) but then dismissed the "why is it out a bit?"

and all the shops I use for work are busy - which is good because it means they do good work; but aren't so good about getting the work done as fast as promised (or I'd like)... oh well.

Comment

• rear differential at home, assembled. News at 11. Right now I have to go hide from my wife. Wish me luck.

Comment

• I as many others, have confidence in your skills...
                                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                                X