FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    rear differential at home, assembled. News at 11. Right now I have to go hide from my wife. Wish me luck.

Trying to avoid the "HONEYDEW" list or the "Date Night" eat out?

Comment

• Uh no, food and/or date would be excellent - I know this is weird to say, but I kind of like my wife - when my wife has trouble lining up subjects I get the nod to go hide... as I tell others, I don't get away with anything... though, tonight I stumped the older one which is quite a trick.

my wench arrived

just enough room to do a pull-style hydraulic clutch

the correct sensor arrived (e-speedo)

and the drive train is in....

and my wiring arrived for the TBI - what a helpful group of people (Howells)

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I like my wife too.. I also hide to preserve what little sanity I got..
        I think all good ones hide out of wisdom..

Comment

• I know this doesn't seem to show much, but actually, it's a big step

it means the pinion is in permanently and I can measure for driveshafts and axles (ordered the axles on Friday, will order the driveshafts on Monday)
          so the rear springs from a rubicon are a bit soft, but the front springs seem to be pretty close

you'll note my multi-colored zip ties which hold the shocks in place

so this picture is more for the driveshaft folks, but the driveshaft is 19 1/2" long, it has a 23* angle (max 33*) but the pinion and the output are 8* opposite each other which brings the actually degree difference to a reasonable 16* (for a short wheelbase 4x4, that's doing pretty good).

I'll pull the rear differential out in the next day or two and paint it.... gotta be pretty too

front hp 44.... the fronts are 1310 u-joints... I figure that's the cheap fuse in the system - I may have to scallop the cross member for clearance - if I do, I'll add a mid-hoop just so bad things don't happen if the u-joint breaks

twin stick too

now we're getting somewhere

no picture of the first of the brackets welded in place - but it is and I have to fab a couple inner brackets then paint the weld away

on to the bare metal - spray with phosphoric acid

then rinse

same with the hood

I also got onto removing the cowl vent... I figure I'll get that done, ground down, then cut the dash and dowse it all with epoxy primer... maybe tomorrow after work I'll get the rear differential painted and the hood too. The side panels need to be cut and I'm putting different markers in them so there's a bit of fab before they get primered, the tailgate is going to be a one-piece that hinges at the bottom with a ladder attached to it that will double as a molle panel

Comment

• continuing from yesterday

I ordered the driveshafts - so that should be the last of the big parts.... now the nickel and dime crap (like window seals and such)
            shock mounts (at least half of them)

and the other half in their rough form

epoxy primered the hood

and the fillers (and had a bit of trouble with it - I shouldn't have etched the metal)

the firewall I didn't etch, I just blew the paint on.... it went on beautifully

live and learn - the etched parts still aren't dry to the touch, the firewall is though it was last painted

and I finished filling the hole in the cowl

Comment

• one of those skills that I don't have is patience, and the one, most important skill in bodywork is patience.

I think a 71 Chevrolet pickup is coming into the shop for someone else - so I'm going to get pressed here - I need to spend the time, but I need to have this done.... I wish I had the patience of the guys who are doing the shoebox wagon.... but alas, it's not yet my skill.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                I wish I had the patience of the guys who are doing the shoebox wagon.... but alas, it's not yet my skill.
                You've done a fine job Aaron, I wish I could finish my projects as fast as you started and (almost) finished this one..

Comment

• An abundance of patience can be a detriment. See project threads by Stiney for details.....

Yeah, those perfect metalworking examples are intoxicating to behold, but I want something I am not afraid to play with afterwards.

Want to trade FJ for Healey?
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Want to trade FJ for Healey?
                    thinking.....
                    thinking.....
                    thinking.....

knocking dust out of lungs and ears....

thinking....

uh no

Comment

• brackets

brackets installed

sway bar

starting on the clutch

turn the bar around the other way

GM A-bodies have a sway bar attached to the lower control arm that works pretty well - thus, copying what they did is the idea behind this

flexy check for clearances

full compression

weld on clevis attachment points

burn finger.... time for new welding gloves (ouch)

Comment

• more stuff
                        driveshafts

epoxy paint

I got my Nitro, front shafts --- hmmm, something doesn't seem right but we'll see, it has been awhile since I've rebuilt a d44

I'm also going to have to do something about the spring pads, I had to rotate the axle for the driveshaft, so now they're no longer parallel.... oops.
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 20, 2015, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• FJ40 standing on its end

now with primer

and inside too

so the axle was a bit long, and Nitro suggested shortening it. It's close... I admit being concerned about the length of spline engagement but I don't do axles for a living and these have a lifetime warranty...

you can see where the seal is now with the shortened shaft

next up, finishing up the underside so I can mount it back on the frame (and gain some room back)

on the lower ball joint, I had to clearance a bit

Comment

• gratuitous shop shot

started working on the tub - roll bar backing plates

Comment

• just curious, but have you measured the height with cab or have you built a boat in your basement?
                              Last edited by Beagle; August 25, 2015, 06:20 AM. Reason: speeling
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• it's 3" taller then a stock FJ40

where I'm taking the picture is a 12' tall door - I doubt that I'll be unable to remove it

but do tell about the basement boat

Comment

Working...
                                X