Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    the video - with optionals, it's about $180 (not including the alternator)
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 30, 2023, 07:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post

Probably the best thing to do. That is an absurd design/quality issue, somehow my Cherokee has gone 360K miles on the original u-joint so is there something they needed to know? I forget what brand I used on the Chall but it had the button-screw deal which I still thought was crap and wouldn't go endurance racing on.
    the temptation is take it to SEMA and ask them WTF.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

then tap over the washer to fit the curve
    Probably the best thing to do. That is an absurd design/quality issue, somehow my Cherokee has gone 360K miles on the original u-joint so is there something they needed to know? I forget what brand I used on the Chall but it had the button-screw deal which I still thought was crap and wouldn't go endurance racing on.
    Last edited by Loren; September 29, 2023, 10:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    In honor of my void-every-warranty policy, I present a brand new borgeson joint

then tap over the washer to fit the curve

finish welding the washers on

and installed with plenty of loc-tite... just so I have to really fight it to get it apart when the trailgear hydraulic assist arrives next week

in other news, I started disassembly of my various cs130s... pretty sure this one was off my H3 Hummer - overcharged badly but only had 1/8th of a mile on it (anyone want to guess why I avoid Powermaster?)

the brushes are brand new....

as does the rotor

the stator got crispy - those wires should be copper colored not crispy black

what the stator should look like

next up steal the toaster oven and heat the case to get the stator out... but that's for another day, thanks for looking

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    By borgeson's own advertising you are well within their tolerances of angularity :
    https://www.borgeson.com/Universal-Joints/
    what really kills is that the no-name joint is a better product.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    By borgeson's own advertising you are well within their tolerances of angularity :
    USE THE FILTERS TO NARROW DOWN YOUR SELECTIONSwitch End1 and End2 selections if you cannot find the joint you are looking for.Single needle bearing Universal JointsBorgeson needle bearing universal joints are machined in our factory on state of the art CNC equipment from steel, stainless steel, or aluminum. Borgeson single universal joints will operate smoothly at angles up to 35°. Angles over 35° can be accommodated by using a double universal joint. Double needle bearing Universal JointsBorgeson double universal joints can negotiate angles over 35º. Available in steel, stainless steel, and aluminum, these doubles accommodate angles up to 70º and are available in all spline and DD configurations.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

and 4K miles is "good"? i thought those things were better than
    the crappy factory rag joints.... makes me not want to change
    mine in the K5 to u-joints now if it only goes 4000 miles.
    any recommendations for a replacement for the rag joint?
    apperently borgesson discontinued the good one, all the parts
    stores sell generic replacements that SUCK.,
    no, not good at all but better then one mile.... and with that said, this is the first one I've ever had trouble with - also, can't put a rag joint there, not enough room. (but will I put the one on my Blazer that I already have? I don't know.).

so here are my GUESSES of what's going on
    1) phasing - the u-joint at the bottom of the steering column is like 20 degrees as opposed to 5 degrees (approx) at the steering box - thus the stumble motion is causing too much stress at the lesser angle (of course, why the upper one doesn't fail too? yeah, a guess)
    2) the huge tires - there is a lot of stress turning them
    3) manufacturing defect - the swedging the caps in is stupid... thus they come out very easily if there's any force on them.
    4) piss poor quality control. The caps are a very soft material while the yokes are forged (my money is on this one)
    5) life sucks and sometimes it proves it with screwed up u-joints.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 28, 2023, 07:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    lasted 4000 miles v. 1 mile

and 4K miles is "good"? i thought those things were better than
    the crappy factory rag joints.... makes me not want to change
    mine in the K5 to u-joints now if it only goes 4000 miles.
    any recommendations for a replacement for the rag joint?
    apperently borgesson discontinued the good one, all the parts
    stores sell generic replacements that SUCK.,

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    Direct feed for a MIG welder?
    if it's not over done, is it really done?

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Direct feed for a MIG welder?

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    coming soon, a CS130 rebuild and upgrade to 200 amp

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    but wait, there's more
    first, they made it back late last night

however,

wait, you'll say, that joint was brand freaking new when you left. How many miles did you put on it before it failed?

Summit came through and replaced it - and I'll void the warranty by tacking the caps on... this is BS. I was under the impression (obviously wrong) that going to u-joints was the stronger option....

yeah, the caps just fell off

and for the record... this is who to avoid

the old joint
    note the screws holding the caps in place?

lasted 4000 miles v. 1 mile
    in other news, panduit ties are not what they used tobe

and in yet other news.... occasionally the rear signals would stay on dimly. Couldn't figure out why - obviously a ground issue but from where?
    the steering column. Over time there wore a bare spot so it ended the problem - but moving the column around and suddenly the light issue was back.....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 25, 2023, 10:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    1400 miles, 3 days, 1 day on the Rubicon.... and I broke it. There, the tl;dr.
    home

much fresher when I left. I put the top on, mostly because it was supposed to rain - which it didn't at South Lake Tahoe, but pretty much the Oregon border and north... wet.

met up with my friends in California... if the Jeep looks familiar - look back, I wheeled in the snow with him pretty often.

but he moved to California - so here we are.
    while I haven't convinced him to get a FJ40 (he'd love one) he does have a sweet ZR2 diesel Colorado - which is the unrecognized hero of all of this... 100k miles so far, 13 mpg average and I think the slowest I pulled a hill was 45 mph....
    Got there Friday afternoon, died on their couch for a couple hours, went to BBQ in downtown Folsom. Outside of the Johnny Cash song - I had no idea where it was... cool little berg.
    Unloaded at the parking lot at Ice house dam.... really wish I didn't park below.... because it's like a mini-Rubicon getting your tow rig and trailer out of the lot....

met up with John's soon-to-be son-in-law... really really cool SAS Colorado

onto the trail

just before things started going pear shaped

think the SIL is going to fit in just fine (more on that in a bit because the story there isn't over)

got some nice shots of me trying to stand it on its front bumper

it does look good

and flex

Luigi is a good lab, but I think he was trying to find a new owner after bouncing on the trail

mind you, this is before the tough stuff starts.... and he's at 99% to get through this

random pics

John standing his TJ on its bumper

more pictures in a bit of the damage, but in a stupid simple spot the need for a welder and a mistake I made in assembly ended my run in... 2 miles... that's what I did.... took 5 hours

this is fix one, later pictures will show with Gorilla tape

so I turned around and another guy from another group was going out and offered to help if needed... he's there in the front... this is me trying to pull at tree over because I had to winch off a rock

I couldn't have hit this rock and more wrong

the trail fix

with gorilla tape

the problem

as it was, it almost came apart again
    so... high lift handle to brace the cross shaft, zip ties to hold it to the shafts, then a ratchet strap to hold it all together.... what was really cool and a shout out to all the people out there, I basically got to stand and watch in my "we are welders" (irony, love it) shirt. the guy said he'd done it before and I believe him.... neat people, nice weather.

the broken parts - the weld literally pulled apart

what I did wrong was I should have drilled and plug welded the adapters in place

why didn't I? simple, some bungs you cannot do that with

if you weld the one on the right, it'll foul the threads.... not just that but it will almost instantly rust then fusing the threads together and ending any adjustability you expect
    but still, I didn't plug weld, and I should have. whoops.
    with that said, the fixes, also the steering column started moving in the shaft - so I need to resolve that issue for once and for all (read, weld that bastard)

and there's a hitch in the steering - so figure that out (thought I'd fixed it)

what's to come is an onboard welder (which is kind of dumb since I've never needed one and have wheeled for 40 years).... ah well, whoever buys it from my estate sale can take it out of its box
    so it's fixed... this time, it'll break something else

I'm also going to complete the hydro-assist steering. I know how, need to order the ram - and that will help with this as well because it'll put less stress on the cross shaft/box/frame.

and the last bit.... their phone is still going to voice mail.... they may still be on the trail.... to be continued

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Leave him (her?) at your buddies place.
    there's a bird trapped in the shop tonight.... only one leaves.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

So far, the score is Sticky traps - 3, Turbo - 0
    Leave him (her?) at your buddies place.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X