• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axles with bits inside work better.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      and I have the axle - this one actually has bits inside...

Hope the bits are all in their correct places! ;)

Comment

• Progress update:

the transfer case will not go in through the top...

that block of wood is a new way of mounting motors (hehe)

the trans pan is flat to the frame, the engine is at 7* and the transfer case is just below the frame (failure)....

That means I might be cutting the floor to move it up... though I need to set the bottom link suspension brackets to be sure... I might make a skid plate or skid plate mount that also holds the suspension parts....

with headers... or better, did you know that S-10 conversion headers will work pretty slick for this project?

and with the steering box sitting about where it goes

so I measured a tentative rear driveshaft... 18".... that is too short, I'm going with a 38" or 40" tire - so I can move the axle back 3 1/2" to give me a 24" (on an angle) driveshaft... which is better. I guess the thing this really determined is a gear splitter (which is 7" longer) is a bad idea and I need to go with the Atlas case (which is more expensive)... however, if I lower the motor, things could be better.... I dunno, will have to give this some thought
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I'm board with your engine mount. But I guess it wood work. (Sorry - the ball was hanging over the net and all I had to do was spike it......)

Dan

Comment

• Cutting the floor might not be a bad thing. You could cut it, and rework the opening for clearance, and at the same time make it a large enough removable plate so the transfer case could be dropped in from the top the next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
              Cutting the floor might not be a bad thing. You could cut it, and rework the opening for clearance, and at the same time make it a large enough removable plate so the transfer case could be dropped in from the top the next time.

I need to come up with a fuel tank plan - whether it's leave it as is (under the passenger seat), or put it under a new rear seat... the limit to the side-to-side opening is that fuel tank and a storage compartment under the driver's seat.

Comment

• This is helpful
                Common 9" Ford axle widths

65-66 Mustang 57.25 inches
                67-70 Mustang 59.25 inches
                71-73 Mustang 61.25 inches
                77-81 Versailles 58.50 inches
                74 Maverick 8" 56.50 inches
                75 Mustang II 8" 57.00 inches
                67-73 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 9" 59.25 inches to 61.25 inches
                57-59 Ranchero and Wagon 57.25 inches (narrowest 9" housing)
                66-77 Bronco 9", 58 inches (has 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle)
                77-81 Granada/Versailles, 58 inches
                66-69 Comet, Fairlane, Ranchero 59.25 inches
                64 Falcon 58 inches
                67 Cougar 60 inches
                72 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches
                67-73 Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 59.25 inches or 61.25 inches
                67-71 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches

Comment

• Here's another one for many axle types:
                  http://www.carnut.com/specs/rear.html

Comment

• What's the width on a Ford 8.8 with 2 short axles? It's a common mod so there must be a width somewhere.

Dan

Comment

• 56.5" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• 9" will keep the wheel on it if you bust an axle I think? 8.8 is a c-clip rear.

There's not a lot of the cars you have listed sitting in any of the yards around here. What width are you looking for ?
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          9" will keep the wheel on it if you bust an axle I think? 8.8 is a c-clip rear.

There's not a lot of the cars you have listed sitting in any of the yards around here. What width are you looking for ?

yep... but most 8.8s are disk brake, so they retain the wheel too.

Comment

• My thought exactly. Disc brake retainers.
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• disk brakes work okay, unless you shear it at the flange.... that's the benefit of 9"... the other bit, I can get full-floater 9" axles from the nascar guys - in fact, I'm in the search mode to get a 40 spline, 4:11 geared, full float NASCAR rear differential... they're cheap (relatively) at $1000... simply narrow and redrill the flange for 6 lug.

Comment

• so did a bit more tonight
                                shock mounts need to go...

so I can set the steering box in place... ironically, it's the wooden motor mount that's now in the way.. but to fix that I need to set the motor

and I am using the radiator from the Studebaker.... it kept the 500 caddy cool, so it should be fine for this.

Comment

Working...
                                X