No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm thinking of trying something a bit out-of-the-norm.

I have this nice little space

where I could put two batteries on their side. I've already got 3/16" stainless-steel plate that is going to be the skid plate going underneath it.

So the question is: would the disadvantages associated with hard-to-access be overcome by the advantages of freeing up engine space, lower CG, making them nearly theft-proof, and the ability to actually run larger (think 78s or even forklift batteries) be enough? I'm interested in your thoughts. Of course, the proper safety devices would be in place to guarantee no battery-related fire (true disconnect, high-amp fuses that are close to the batteries and solid battery boxes).... and there would be a jump-connection in a reasonably accessible spot.

When I first saw that space I thought it'd be a cool spot for them - but it's not a traditional place - so maybe there's some reason I'm just not seeing for putting them up front...
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 30, 2015, 10:09 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Lower CG and mongo sized 78s is enough to sell me.......weight is darn hard to ditch or put where it does some good, or at least does less harm.

Unless the option of modern super fancy/light/small batteries can be considered? That would be my first choice, but i don't know how well those work with winches.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Low mounted batteries MUST be a good thing! BTW - Looks good with the body panels on.

Dan

Comment

• Sounds like a winner to me.

Comment

• Looking great for the fitting of panels! I also agree with the battery solution...
            Last edited by silver_bullet; August 31, 2015, 05:37 PM.
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• corner work

I'm still not inspired on these yet - so no real progress on them

Comment

• I like this stuff, and since they offer a discount for both referrer and buyer - I'll post it
                - Refer a Friend Program -
                Hi SuperBuickGuy,
                Get a $10 off for each referral.
                Your friends get 15% off all products!
                *Discount expires on 2 October 2015.
                Forward this link or share it online:
                http://kbscoatings.refr.cc/7PG5DCW

the reason I like it is because it's really easy to spray, especially if you get the Harbor Freight gun I suggested.

Comment

• Neat, thanks! Did you get the chassis kit or the frame kit? (assuming you got a kit at all)

Short cliff-notes version of the prep and coating process?

Comment

• I bought the chassis kit - but on balance, I think you could save a couple dollars by getting your own degreaser and phosphate etch

Comment

• I swear the scaffolding takes more time then everything else

one side mostly permanent now to mirror

and mirror happened

it would be a lot easier, I suppose, if I had leveled the truck first... meh, can't get too bored doing this stuff (kidding)

Comment

• That's already a good looking rig.

Except the wheels. Really needs some Vectors.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                          That's already a good looking rig.

Except the wheels. Really needs some Vectors.

no, I don't swing that way.... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Comment

• Don't think I'd change a thing!
                            Like how there is a "face" in the front view... Almost "Cars" like

Comment

• tonights saga begins with hubs

dana 60 hubs

yep, front axle shaft diameter is dana 60 sized... just not dana 60 hang-down on the pumpkin

35 spline double-splined axles for the rear. I think I can safely say that these won't be what breaks

I wish Nitro Gear had engraved their logo on the ends - normally, I don't do advertising - they really have helped out on this project

the axles are cut-to-fit, so I need to trim 1/2" off and all will be well

and what took all my time tonight and will again tomorrow night

and a brace... I had to move the bracket back - it's meant to attach to where the stock fenders attach, however, that's exactly where the coil over resides... oh well, if I was afraid of fabrication I'd hang out on a 4x4 site and piss and moan about everyone else's project

and sheet metal is where I stopped

Comment

• so this is funny, to me.... look at this picture again

you get bonus points if you notice the radiator isn't level... I leveled the grill as part of tonight's work, and looked at the front and said "hey, wait a minute"... oh well, I also have to move it back towards the motor (lean it back) so the hood doesn't hit it... I wish I was as good as those guys on TV, *shrugs*

Comment

Working...
                                X