No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I took my car to the drags they made me take the fire extinguisher out of the mount on my rollbar. They said they think they can come unmounted in an accident, and become a projectile. I had to leave it in the pits, which meant if I had a fire I just had to wait for the crew to show up, and hope it could be put out b then.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

how would you restrain them? everything uses clamps...
      My fire bottle is restrained with a solid clamp and 2 Allen bolts at the point of connection - think a big connecting rod and you pretty much have it. There are 2 of those/bottle. N2O bottles, etc. all have to be restrained in the same way. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it. Again, I don't know the history behind it but most of these rules are the result of some calamity or other.

Found a pic: I fibbed slightly - there is just one bolt and the circle is split at just that one point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	1273625

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; July 2, 2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
        When I took my car to the drags they made me take the fire extinguisher out of the mount on my rollbar. They said they think they can come unmounted in an accident, and become a projectile. I had to leave it in the pits, which meant if I had a fire I just had to wait for the crew to show up, and hope it could be put out b then.
        sounds about right... who cares if youre trying to be safe?
        the rules say "blah blah" so yep god forbid you have a fire
        maybe you could toast some marshmallows while youre
        waiting foe the safety crew to get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

My fire bottle is restrained with a solid clamp and 2 Allen bolts at the point of connection - think a big connecting rod and you pretty much have it. There are 2 of those/bottle. N2O bottles, etc. all have to be restrained in the same way. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it. Again, I don't know the history behind it but most of these rules are the result of some calamity or other.

Found a pic: I fibbed slightly - there is just one bolt and the circle is split at just that one point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	1273625

Dan
          hard to pull that out when it's your buddy's car going up in flames...
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• 'Zakly. That's a permanently mounted fire system designed to protect the driver in the event of a fire. The nozzle points up from the base of the steering column and when I add the 10 lb. bottle (this is a 5 lb) it will discharge under the hood to the 2 most likely fire spots.. What I was saying is that this is the required mounting for LSR and, I think, NHRA and NASCAR. But they're not supposed to protect anyone else but the occupant. The portable extinguishers are in the push truck which are secured any which way (no requirements). Sounds like you have completely different needs.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              'Zakly. That's a permanently mounted fire system designed to protect the driver in the event of a fire. The nozzle points up from the base of the steering column and when I add the 10 lb. bottle (this is a 5 lb) it will discharge under the hood to the 2 most likely fire spots.. What I was saying is that this is the required mounting for LSR and, I think, NHRA and NASCAR. But they're not supposed to protect anyone else but the occupant. The portable extinguishers are in the push truck which are secured any which way (no requirements). Sounds like you have completely different needs.

Dan
              boy, how selfish can those folks at NASCAR be? :D next they'll ban garage door ropes (too soon?)
              they good thing in all of this, the bottle removes so if the track doesn't want them there - you can remove it.
              I'm not a fan of fire extinguishers - but when you need them, they can be a life saver.

Comment

• For my reference (and Squirrel too)

Set IAC steps

Comment

• Single wrap of duct tape.. Easy to rip, USUALLY does not become a projectile... Forgot to wrap one time, jammed it betweed the seat and hump..on impact it went forwards and hit the throttle.. That was a royal mess!

Comment

• I know this seems like a nothing post... but to someone it might help

If you use a Cool Cruisers fuel-sender, they're wrong on the website - it's not 2.1/4.5/6.5 ohms F 1/2 E sender. It's 10/75 Full / Empty ohms. If you have a Dakota digital dash - the right setting is F 10 (the Ford sender) .

I won't admit to how much time it took to get the information to compile that sentence.

Comment

• The burger part sounds excellent!

Dan

Comment

• That looks like fun! Even the winching out part. But especially the burger part!

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy

I don't know why, but burgers on the east side of the mountains taste better than anything on this side.
                          Everything is better East of the Cascades!

Comment

• Kid and I picked up a Galaxie in Benton City WA, stopped at a "hole in the wall" type of place and damnnn the burger was so good!

Comment

• Shopping insurance?
                              Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                              74 Nova Project
                              66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                              79 Chevy Truck Project
                              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• What popped into my head was that the ground might have gone away but I'm sure you've checked that.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X