FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy

Yet I can say two words that you cannot about your Alfa.... It runs.
    Ouch, right in the nads. Can't argue that one.

Comment

• I cheated to fix the door

door is on

and now opens sideways
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• time for the spare.... in some of the things I do, we're required to haul a full sized spare.... I don't agree but I like doing that - so time to make one that doesn't rattle

These are cool, but I don't think I'll use them... or maybe...

finally something the warn winch can lift

the only issue is my tow points are higher than the spare... I could use the hitch, but that isn't there for recovery.

it's really not as low as it seems from the back.... still, If I carry a spare, it will be smaller. I have patch kits, tube, welding wire and dowels to fix a flattened tire - if I need to use a spare, I can put it on the front and unlock the hub (or pull a shaft on the rear)

Comment

• Yep it's good to have a spare but the thing with 4X4 wheels is they are so BIG. Hanging off the back they are always in your way when you quickly want to grab something out of the rear. I only put mine there for the bigger trips but always carry plugs. Spending money on good tyers stops a lot of flats.
          Tim
          Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
            Yep it's good to have a spare but the thing with 4X4 wheels is they are so BIG. Hanging off the back they are always in your way when you quickly want to grab something out of the rear. I only put mine there for the bigger trips but always carry plugs. Spending money on good tyers stops a lot of flats.
            yes but I carry the tire as a requirement for participation.... I fully agree with you, but fighting the system really isn't worth the time.

Comment

• onward

latch plate in place

Comment

• Metric tires for a 4x4.. well I never heard of such a thing... I really need to cut back on the Vice Grip Garage - Derek talks like my grandpa did (he was from Minnersota as well)... and I'd mimic him... this is not good. ah well....

But they were $100 less than bias ply tires and they're both Toyo AND radial.... I'll try to completely recoup my cost by selling the current tires - likely I'll get 1k out of them.... all for better mileage and better drivability. 385/75 16 ....

Comment

• Without stirring the pot too much - I need to point something out. Any of my builds, I get bored pretty easily, so I need to muscle through the doldrums of the build... usually that's the 2nd day of disassembly until I paint the frame. Anything between those two points can be the death of a project. Once I get the frame painted, somehow it trips a mental switch that keeps me working on it for another 3 years..... the only other 'thing' is it must be drivable in 2 years... outside of those two things - I sometimes short cut so I keep the time frame. The box I just completed and the tire carrier are two such things - I tempenanteded them knowing to circle back wouldn't be too terrible. I bring this up because it works for me - and perhaps it can work for you too.....
                  Anyway, carrying on
                  Narrowing in on marking this 'done' the latch

spare fuel

still have no idea where the plate is going

paint

there is still question about the traction mats - I'm thinking of buying a snowboard/ski rack then adapting.... also, if moving happens, I'll be using this as my ski vehicle

Comment

• this kind of wraps up this installment

best of all, it is solid

and a posterity picture

Comment

• Looks very purpose built, and no nonsense looks too! Nicely done!

Comment

• Man, if I had to have things running within 2 years...I'd have a bunch of things running. LOL

My son was 15 when we bought the first Alfa (father/son project wherein father figured out son was not a car guy rather quickly) he's now almost 31.

Comment

• Originally posted by StillBobHolmes View Post
                          Man, if I had to have things running within 2 years...I'd have a bunch of things running. LOL

My son was 15 when we bought the first Alfa (father/son project wherein father figured out son was not a car guy rather quickly) he's now almost 31.
                          I can make you feel lots better. In 1979, my dad bought a Sunbeam Alpine that he is converting into a Tiger. Converting... since 1979. I was 13.... Freiburger may have been talking about him when he quipped that paint is the death of a project. The car is fully painted.... suspension is done... I've even offered to finish it for him but I think his pride says 'no'.... which is fair since it'd be far better if I completed it (and not yellow)
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 2, 2020, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• I really didn't intend to get a bigger tire.... I know, poor me

breaking bolts

assembled

installed

I got 1 done in 3 hours.... thank the good lord for the tire machine I bought... what a life saver (and it's trying to kill me because these are not easy to toss onto the machine
                            but first the error part of trial

no picture of throwing it on upside down for a first fail

for those who wonder how I balance these... 12 oz of daisy bbs

it works quite well

this is number 2 mostly done.... need bolts

Comment

• I'm so glad I bought that tire machine... $200 well spent. it doesn't work well, and hefting these wheels onto it hurts.... but so much easier
                              last wheels.. done

and, of course, the last wheel - that bead broke the first push... all the rest I'd have to spin the wheel on the machine to get it to go (this machine is also very used, maybe even used up)
                              I like it, and it rides SO much better

Comment

• How do you like the beadlocks? I've been considering a set for my Suburban, but I'm not sure I can handle not having my stock 1988 hubcaps anymore...
                                "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                                1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                                2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Working...
                                X