• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axles with bits inside work better.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      and I have the axle - this one actually has bits inside...

Hope the bits are all in their correct places! ;)

Comment

• Progress update:

the transfer case will not go in through the top...

that block of wood is a new way of mounting motors (hehe)

the trans pan is flat to the frame, the engine is at 7* and the transfer case is just below the frame (failure)....

That means I might be cutting the floor to move it up... though I need to set the bottom link suspension brackets to be sure... I might make a skid plate or skid plate mount that also holds the suspension parts....

with headers... or better, did you know that S-10 conversion headers will work pretty slick for this project?

and with the steering box sitting about where it goes

so I measured a tentative rear driveshaft... 18".... that is too short, I'm going with a 38" or 40" tire - so I can move the axle back 3 1/2" to give me a 24" (on an angle) driveshaft... which is better. I guess the thing this really determined is a gear splitter (which is 7" longer) is a bad idea and I need to go with the Atlas case (which is more expensive)... however, if I lower the motor, things could be better.... I dunno, will have to give this some thought
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I'm board with your engine mount. But I guess it wood work. (Sorry - the ball was hanging over the net and all I had to do was spike it......)

Dan

Comment

• Cutting the floor might not be a bad thing. You could cut it, and rework the opening for clearance, and at the same time make it a large enough removable plate so the transfer case could be dropped in from the top the next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
              Cutting the floor might not be a bad thing. You could cut it, and rework the opening for clearance, and at the same time make it a large enough removable plate so the transfer case could be dropped in from the top the next time.

I need to come up with a fuel tank plan - whether it's leave it as is (under the passenger seat), or put it under a new rear seat... the limit to the side-to-side opening is that fuel tank and a storage compartment under the driver's seat.

Comment

• This is helpful
                Common 9" Ford axle widths

65-66 Mustang 57.25 inches
                67-70 Mustang 59.25 inches
                71-73 Mustang 61.25 inches
                77-81 Versailles 58.50 inches
                74 Maverick 8" 56.50 inches
                75 Mustang II 8" 57.00 inches
                67-73 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 9" 59.25 inches to 61.25 inches
                57-59 Ranchero and Wagon 57.25 inches (narrowest 9" housing)
                66-77 Bronco 9", 58 inches (has 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle)
                77-81 Granada/Versailles, 58 inches
                66-69 Comet, Fairlane, Ranchero 59.25 inches
                64 Falcon 58 inches
                67 Cougar 60 inches
                72 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches
                67-73 Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 59.25 inches or 61.25 inches
                67-71 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches

Comment

• Here's another one for many axle types:
                  Antique Cars Classics Customs Hotrods Leadsleds Roadsters Streetrods Trucks Turbine Car 40 31 Ford 67 Dodge Charger 61 Chrysler Images Specs Pictures Photos Photographs Gifs Jpgs Events Schedule Vendors Forum

Comment

• What's the width on a Ford 8.8 with 2 short axles? It's a common mod so there must be a width somewhere.

Dan

Comment

• 56.5" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• 9" will keep the wheel on it if you bust an axle I think? 8.8 is a c-clip rear.

There's not a lot of the cars you have listed sitting in any of the yards around here. What width are you looking for ?
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          9" will keep the wheel on it if you bust an axle I think? 8.8 is a c-clip rear.

There's not a lot of the cars you have listed sitting in any of the yards around here. What width are you looking for ?

yep... but most 8.8s are disk brake, so they retain the wheel too.

Comment

• My thought exactly. Disc brake retainers.
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• disk brakes work okay, unless you shear it at the flange.... that's the benefit of 9"... the other bit, I can get full-floater 9" axles from the nascar guys - in fact, I'm in the search mode to get a 40 spline, 4:11 geared, full float NASCAR rear differential... they're cheap (relatively) at $1000... simply narrow and redrill the flange for 6 lug.

Comment

• so did a bit more tonight
                                shock mounts need to go...

so I can set the steering box in place... ironically, it's the wooden motor mount that's now in the way.. but to fix that I need to set the motor

and I am using the radiator from the Studebaker.... it kept the 500 caddy cool, so it should be fine for this.

Comment

Working...
                                X