No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thats a pretty neat set up. plenty of space for the dog to lay down and take a nap.
    CHECK US OUT AT:
    www.ridetech.com

Comment

• Thanks Ryan. Building custom of those might turn into a full-time job... anyway, back to fun stuff

Buick motor off the stand

new 355 short block on the stand

The guy gave me a 4 bolt main, roller block instead of the 2 bolt....

grey is the color this time

I like what I got, and the shop who did the work was immaculate - always a good sign.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Best of all, here's the cost break down

$900 tax included for the short block. If you look at my prior pricing, you'll see this is $200 lower than what I figured. Had I gone with building a short block myself, I'd have been at $1300 but worse, end of summer before the machine work was done. From the place off ebay, all in was about $1000-$1100 but I'd get a 2 bolt block. While I don't think I need the 4 bolt, it is a feature

Comment

• Probably never rev it enough to need 4 bolt mains.. But will be a nice peace of mind if you hit air and over-rev..

Comment

• Ah man..........4 bolt instead of 2 bolt. lol
            CHECK US OUT AT:
            www.ridetech.com

Comment

• https://youtu.be/gmL17UELwYc...
              Last edited by silver_bullet; May 1, 2016, 03:44 AM.
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• beside the yard work, the fluid change on my Hummer, I did get a bit done on the '40
                start of today (painted)

end.... bottom half is together

Comment

• a very important part arrived today

so I figured now was a good time to get that shift knob on the road through a bit of assembly

9 quarts of oil later

and a bit more assembly

clutch installed

almost home

and home

Comment

• Driving by weekend!

Comment

• tomorrow. I also think I know one of the causes of the prior motor's failure.... it's wrapped up in that 9 quart to fill comment above... I put 6 quarts in it...burn a couple quarts off, add a bypass that isn't working right and the root-cause analysis is pretty much complete... still don't know why there was moisture in the motor, but at least some of it is solved....sigh.

Comment

• Still you shouldn't blow just because you were 3 quarts low, saw a 4 cyl car that takes 4 quarts take in 3 quarts..
                        Goes to show no 2 motors the same..

Comment

• not much to show, wired the motor and hooked everything up... no noise yet, but I'm very close.
                          one of the things I did was drill a bleeder hole in the thermostat - for no other reason but to make filling it easier

and wired.... a couple minor things to do - hook up throttle cable, put in a couple bolts in the bellhousing, and tighten up the exhaust pipes.... oh and rotate the distributor 180.... dagnabit.

Comment

• That removable cross brace on the shock halos worked like a charm for the engine R&R!
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• it does, and the frame is a lot stronger then most think - boxing it was the right choice. the suspension was fully loaded and the bar slipped right back into place

on with making it go, again

oh what a pain - I was right, I was about 45 degrees off on the timing...

look at that, oil pressure

which makes me a bit irritated at the dakota digital gauges, they didn't work, I checked the wiring and have tested everything and it should have worked. The only thing that might be wrong is the connection is fault... but even then....

and back to wiring

so basically I'm back to where I was a couple weeks ago. I'm leaving the front off while I finish the wiring....

Comment

• So after a whole bunch of testing I've found the sender is bad.... would have been nice to have a sender when it dropped oil pressure.... ah well, at least the sender is covered by the manufacturer warranty (it's like 90 bucks)

onto more

underhood lighting

and the dash lights up.... even turns on a few lights

getting there... I should have it back on the road and wired Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                X