FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Had 2 Powermasters.. Son's fried after 2 derbies.
    Daughter's solenoid main power post broke off in spite of not being hit or cable stretched
    Back to the small body cad plated GM ones.
    the picture is of its cheap replacement - that starts the '40 100% better...
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

the picture is of its cheap replacement - that starts the '40 100% better...
      Nothing wrong with the one you used...
      The cad plated ones tuck up and take the starting power hits a little better.
      Still use the old style on everything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Nothing wrong with the one you used...
        The cad plated ones tuck up and take the starting power hits a little better.
        Still use the old style on everything else.
        Forgot to add... Special bolts needed to use the cad plated ones on old style blocks. (shorter and inch instead of metric..

Comment

• came home on a tow strap today. Once the motor got to 140* it acted like it was running out of fuel and only vigorous pumping would keep it running (efi, yeah, that shouldn't be possible)...

time to diagnose.

Later

Comment

• sounds like a clogged fuel filter to me.
            Last edited by ejs262; November 29, 2019, 10:15 PM.
            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
            1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
            2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
              sounds like a clogged fuel filter to me.
              hmmm, maybe - that said, it's a Holley hydramat.... ugh - it means pulling the seat, and then the sender from the tank. Now would be an optimal time to make the fuel pump in-tank, but I'm afraid that if it is plugged it's POR15 got me again.... I used the tank seal stuff and it did not adhere as well as I hoped it would - so this could be a mess.

Comment

hmmm, maybe - that said, it's a Holley hydramat.... ugh - it means pulling the seat, and then the sender from the tank. Now would be an optimal time to make the fuel pump in-tank, but I'm afraid that if it is plugged it's POR15 got me again.... I used the tank seal stuff and it did not adhere as well as I hoped it would - so this could be a mess.
                got a spare pump? rig it up roadkill style and give it a go. hearing that it's not an in tank pump makes me thing its more than likely the pump, electric pumps hate pulling fuel.
                "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• Originally posted by ejs262 View Post

got a spare pump? rig it up roadkill style and give it a go. hearing that it's not an in tank pump makes me thing its more than likely the pump, electric pumps hate pulling fuel.
                  in either case, it's more unlikely, while I wasn't watching the pressure while it happened, it maintains 40 psi. As far as the pump placement, once primed it would drain the tank because the lowest point is the fuel pump.

Comment

I sincerely hope that’s not the case. But if it is strap that tank to your tractor rear wheel, jack it up toss in a box of drywall screws and let it tumble for several hours. Rinse and repeat if necessary.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

I sincerely hope that’s not the case. But if it is strap that tank to your tractor rear wheel, jack it up toss in a box of drywall screws and let it tumble for several hours. Rinse and repeat if necessary.
                      or spend the $399 and buy a new tank....

Comment

• There is that approach as well. Seems too easy though...but then again my default setting is hardwired to “cheap”. I need to work on that.
                        Last edited by STINEY; November 30, 2019, 08:15 PM.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                          There is that approach as well. Seems too easy though...but then again my default setting is hardwired to “cheap”. I need to work on that.
                          and another option is build a tank for it... the issues with the current tank includes that POR 15 inside and slight vapor leaks.... so it's not a cheap option when it's the only option.

Comment

• I did get it into the shop (which was quite an achievement).... but didn't touch it outside of that....

Comment

• I touched it then put it away
                              I love those $10 video probes that hook up to your phone.... don't like the answer

I need to replace at minimum the pickup and figure out how to get the POR 15 tank coating out. Which I did.... new tank, aeromotive in-tank fuel pump. to be continued when parts arrive

Comment

I touched it then put it away
                                I love those $10 video probes that hook up to your phone.... don't like the answer

I need to replace at minimum the pickup and figure out how to get the POR 15 tank coating out. Which I did.... new tank, aeromotive in-tank fuel pump. to be continued when parts arrive
                                Sorry....
                                Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X