FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FJ40 I call Shipwreck

So some background. My 1st 4x4 was a 1971 FJ 40 with a Ford 302 in it. The other long-term FJ I had was a 1960 FJ40. For those in the know, the FJ came to the US in 1959, so this was a 1st attempt. It had this same 6 in it, and it was beyond gutless.... that said, it'd climb anything. It almost killed me more times than I can count on the Rubicon trail... but I loved it. Enough that over the years I owned 5 more. Recently, I was simply perusing Seattle Craigslist and I found this

to any Land Cruiser guy, they'd look at this thing and think "wow" they normally rust out at the rail under the rear doors... this one is solid.

with that said... it will require some assembly and I think the PO liked red.

note the cool tuck n roll roof?

straight 6

Honestly, I don't really have a build plan for it. Part of me wants to screw together one of my countless 350 chevy motors, slap some vortec heads on it, efi and call it a day. On the other hand, I think a 12v cummins diesel would be pretty trick in this thing or a 4bt or a Isuzu diesel.... I have a 5 speed aisin transmission from a Colorado, so I might use that behind this - that would limit power and torque to 200/300 respectively.
    For suspension. either I'll do a spring over, spring reversal and power steering addition, or I'll do a 3 bar front 3 bar rear with disconnectable sway bars and coil over springs....

So there that is, either stupid simple or stupid expensive simple.
    Exterior... winch, 38" tires some protection like sliders... but nothing to detract from the simple lines of the FJ
    Interior - suspended seats, some dynamat and indoor outdoor carpet and a full cage.

But as I only have the raw material - I am listening to what others think... might ignore you, but oth, you might come up with the most awesome idea ever. Lots of my builds wouldn't have happened without crowd suggestions...

anyway, this is my winter build... yeah, I know for all the rest of you you expect other builds... but they really aren't ready to move forward. What will probably happen is at least a couple of my running vehicles will go away.

Of course, at the same time the Land Rover is going to move forward, but it's mostly mechanic work - not a full build like this one.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 9, 2020, 10:33 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Love it. I have a passion for basketcases, this just makes me want to hitch up the van and trailer, grab a bunch of boxes, and go drag something home!
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
      Love it. I have a passion for basketcases, this just makes me want to hitch up the van and trailer, grab a bunch of boxes, and go drag something home!
      you should, after all, you're the one who caused all of this with your jeep posts. Though you should look for an FJ40 rather than a Heep... err Jeep.

I told a friend this yesterday - I got my FJ40 for Jeep money, he's going to get a 68-76 Bronco for FJ40 money... Jeeps really are the bottom of the heap
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 14, 2014, 07:02 AM.

Comment

You make me want to start adding "FJ" to my daily searchs, then I can blame me for influencing you thereby causing me do to some irrational.

Now about that Healey, now that I have visual proof that you aren't afraid of total basket cases............

Comment

about that Healey - has your wife given up?

Comment

She said something about trading it for a C3............at least that's what I think I heard her say. She mumbles stuff about cars sometimes that I can't quite understand.

Comment

lol.... it'd give you a good excuse to come to Seattle. Though, our 80 days of sunshine ended 2 days ago....

Comment

Yep! FJ40's inliner 6 is gutless on highways.. But boy, get them where they are made for, and you will go ANYWHERE! Buddy had narrow tires, I had wide ones.. We both could go anywhere! But his 283 powered one was great on the highway TOO! I want another... But golly gee! Prices! When we went wheeling, the FJ's would always have to backtrack and see where the pickups and jeeps got stuck!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  But as I only have the raw material - I am listening to what others think... might ignore you, but oth, you might come up with the most awesome idea ever. Lots of my builds wouldn't have happened without crowd suggestions...
                  I would like to see you build it as an EV! I know you can do it, and I would like to watch so.... Full torque at 1 rpm!

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Yep! FJ40's inliner 6 is gutless on highways.. But boy, get them where they are made for, and you will go ANYWHERE! Buddy had narrow tires, I had wide ones.. We both could go anywhere! But his 283 powered one was great on the highway TOO! I want another... But golly gee! Prices! When we went wheeling, the FJ's would always have to backtrack and see where the pickups and jeeps got stuck!
                    FJ40s come in two flavors - really expensive nice ones, and really rust expensive ones... this one was an outlier because once you take them apart, they've lose a lot of value.

Originally posted by Russell View Post

I would like to see you build it as an EV! I know you can do it, and I would like to watch so.... Full torque at 1 rpm!
                    crazy talk.

Comment

Or a Diesel - full torque at 2 RPM!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

crazy talk.
                        This I can not deny..... my only defense is you did solicit opinions

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

This I can not deny..... my only defense is you did solicit opinions

as you're my comrade-in-cars with the alleged "quick flip" cars, it's all good.

Comment

It's a dream of mine right now I'm 0 and 2 maybe next time

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

It's a dream of mine right now I'm 0 and 2 maybe next time

the trick is to keep trying

Comment

Working...
                              X