Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sneke_Eyez's 1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon

Heya fellow Bangshifters, I'm Ryan.
    I'm a 25 year old Mopar freak with a whole gaggle of Mopars and little time to work on them because I'm about to start my law career.
    I live out in Lohnes and Nutting land (Massachusetts) just south of Boston.
    I help run a Mopar club called MassMopar (www.massmopar.net).
    I've been a fairly longtime lurker on the forums and I've been an avid reader of the main Bangshift site for almost as long as it has been around.
    Only recently, however, did I get totally caught up in Bangshifty fever, which was partially related to this car.

Anyway, enough about me, who cares about that?
    All that matters is the car.

That car is a 1969 Plymouth Satellite 6 Passenger Station Wagon.
    She is usually referred to in my house as "The Wagon" or the "Radio Flyer".

I found the car posted on a Mopar site I belong to in February of this year. She was on the Washington, DC craigslist. After agonizing about whether to buy the car, numerous calls to the owner and emailed photos resulted in a one way flight to Washington, DC with my best friend at the end of May 2014. Together we drove the Wagon home over the course of the weekend, stopping at junkyards along the way and having a blast. She only overheated once, and that's because I was giving her just too much pedal on a steep uphill grade. She quickly cooled down, I topped off the coolant, and she behaved the rest of the trip.

The Wagon was a Washington, DC area car for her entire life, and I purchased her from the second owner, who bought her from the original owner's son.
    She appears to have been well taken care of, but she was definitely used, and shows plenty of little dents and a crappy repaint for it. Beauty marks, we'll call them.

As for specifications, from the factory she was equipped with the following:
    318 V8 - 2 barrel
    Column Shifted A904 3 Speed TorqueFlight Transmission
    Factory R6 Red with Black interior.
    14'' Steel Wheels with Plymouth Center Caps.

I did find the build sheet under the front seat, but the build sheet seems to be for a Q5 on Q5 teal wagon, so I need to see whether it matches up before I delve into further specs.

Here she is 4 days after I brought her into Massachusetts:

Fender Tag:

Since May, I have done a number of projects to the Wagon, but I have also spent an awful lot of time driving her. I have put almost 2000 miles on the car since I bought it, and I have been loving every minute of it. I try to do everything within a day so that I can drive the car with every spare moment I have.

To start, I replaced the rotted, nasty ground cable with 0 gauge welding wire that comes factory in a modern Charger/300/Magnum. If you ever need to redo power wiring in a vehicle, look for one of the LX cars in the junkyard - I got the entire length of wire from a Magnum for $5 at Everett's in Brockton - enough that a future project is replacing the positive cable to the starter.

Then the car needed an inspection, which required a new windshield - the original one was cracked badly. Since 4 door and wagon B Bodies did not share the windshield of the coupe, hardtop and convertible cars, I had to track down a decent used piece, which was a process. Tiny and Son's Auto Glass in Pembroke, MA replaced the windshield for me.

After that, the car started to give me starting problems, so I replaced the factory starter with the modern Mopar mini starter found on the later Dodge Trucks - mine was spec'ed for a 93 Dakota.

With the new starter in the car, the undersized battery was just not putting out enough juice for it, so I replaced the battery with the correct size. Car starts like a dream now!

Right before the Worcester, MA Cars of Summer Car Show in July, I decided I wanted to install my Roadrunner headlight bezels that I bought for the car, so I painted the grille to match.
    Unfortunately I determined that the seller had given me such a good price because they were both passenger's side bezels!

So for the Cars of Summer show, I had one Roadrunner bezel, a painted grille, and one silver Satellite bezel.
    Still, it made the front page of the Cars of Summer Show coverage by this car website I read that you might have seen before:

At Carlisle, I picked up a new battery tray, one NOS and one good used taillight bezel, a Roadrunner headlight bezel, and new carpet for the car, but those items had to wait until I finished the Massachusetts bar exam.

After I finished the bar exam at the end of July, I took a week off to relax and spent most of my week wrenching away on the Wagon. A form of car therapy, if you will.

First project was to install the other Roadrunner bezel - ahh, much better, no more silver:

Then came the battery tray, which you can certainly see was a priority:

I degreased everything under it and washed it all down - eventually I will take the tray out when I paint the engine bay to paint underneath it.

I also replaced the bolts that were missing in these pictures:

Nice and secure - though now I need a hold down kit!

Then came nice, non-pitted taillight bezels, apparently I didn't take any close-up pictures.

After that it was on to the carpet - and man did it need new carpet. The original carpet had had it, and when you vacuumed, it tried to rip away:

Out with the old:

After the old carpet was out, I vacuumed, washed and dried the floors:

Then I wire wheeled the areas where I saw scale, which revealed a small hole in the passenger's floorpan:

Sorry for the crapppppy picture, for some reason my DSLR didn't focus on the hole like I thought it did.

Initially that bummed me out pretty good, but then I cut a piece of metal from a spare quarter panel I have laying around, bent it all up to fit, and jb welded it in place. For such a small hole, I just couldn't see the need to bring a real welder into things. Not the "right" way to do it, but most I have talked to agreed that it wasn't worth the extra effort.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of said patch installed, which is sad because I was pretty proud of it.

Then it was onto the carpet install - but first, I Rust Morted the scaly areas of the floor and then my father and I painted the entire floor with Hammerite Rust Cap, which is very similar to POR15 and is what we used on the floor of our Dart with success.

Actually, this is a place where pictures weren't taken with my own camera, but with my mom's, so I don't have these pictures to post yet. Instead I'll just describe what I did, and eventually I'll post them.

When the Rust Cap was dry, my father and I laid down Dynamat Extreme all over the entire floor. I decided it wasn't worth it to have the floors exposed like that and not put down some sort of sound deadener and heat insulation.

Following the Dynamat, my father and I put the new carpet into the car, which was time consuming, but came out pretty nicely.

It still needs to lay down a bit, but between the new carpet and the Dynamat, the car feels like a whole different place to be:

Then came a non "necessary" upgrade - I have always wanted Mopar Performance Valve covers for the Dart, but my dad has always liked the Mickey Thompson ones it came with, so Mopar Performance Valve Covers were certain to come to the project before too long, and when Summit sent me a coupon, I knew it was time. I love the way they take away some of the "old man" away from the motor:

Next came a new steering wheel, the stock wheel had a loose horn ring and numerous cracks. Honestly, I've never been a big fan of the way classic car steering wheels feel, they're always too big in diameter and too skinny in rim diameter. The Grant Elite GT had caught my eye at several shows and when I found one on sale at Pep Boys, they found a buyer, its perfect in rim diameter, even if I think it could be a bit bigger in wheel diameter:

After the valve covers got installed I wired up an LED third brake light that I got out of a Volvo V70 wagon at the junkyard. This was just one of those items I wanted to keep people from rearending me. It ended up being pretty easy to install, though running the wires was time consuming. Overall, I think it looks nice, and almost like a factory item. I have a lighted picture somewhere that I'll add soon.

I have a new rear bumper waiting for me to be able to figure out how to get the old bumper off the car - its stuck on there pretty good:

That takes me to where the Wagon is now, which is sitting in the driveway waiting for a new driver's front brake line, which she decided to blow last Thursday night before the Bass Pro Shop Cruise - I guess she didn't want to go.
    My stainless steel brake line kit will be here on Thursday, and I'm itching to get the new line installed so I can drive her.

There are numerous other projects planned for her - new fenders, some work on the rust on the gate, an Edelbrock Performer and Edelbrock 600 waiting to go on soon, wheels, and some minor interior modifications, but everything is sort of stalled right now while I wait for brake lines.

She ain't necessarily the prettiest girl at the party, but she's mine, and I wouldn't trade her for the world!

Thanks for looking and I hope to be able to update this thread more frequently with news of the Wagon!

Comment

Neat project!
      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Really nice wagon! Thanks for posting.

Comment

awesome wagon man! love it
          Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

As a MOPAR fan I have to love it! I'm seeing a phantom Road Runner wagon here - easy to do with a big block and the right aftermarket badging. After all, you already have the grille and bezels. I should warn you that I'm also a Ford fan, wife has an HHR, I drive a Dodge/Cummins etc, - so I love 'em all.

Congratulations on passing the Bar (you DID pass, right?). SBG is our resident local attorney on here as no one else has managed to pass a bar without sliding in for a beer ('cept for me - I don't consume alcohol).

Have fun and get out there and catch an ambulance.

Dan

Comment

Ha, no ambulance chasing for me - chasing realtors, maybe. I'm in real estate and condominum law with a little bit of estate law sprinkled in.

I'm still waiting for the results of my bar exam - gotta wait until November.

Comment

neat car. bar exam results, waiting for them sucks - however, use this time to really get some stuff done because your first 5 years (minimum) will be establishing yourself... and cars are not conducive to establishing oneself.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  neat car. bar exam results, waiting for them sucks - however, use this time to really get some stuff done because your first 5 years (minimum) will be establishing yourself... and cars are not conducive to establishing oneself.
                  Thanks!

Yeah, I'm trying like heck, but I'm already back working, so my free time is at a minimum - I'm an attorney in everything but the license, and they're treating me like one, which is what I wanted, but no time for projects!
                  One thing I've got going for me is that I'm working at a small, well-established firm with over 60 years experience between the other three attorneys. Establishing my own career is definitely important in keeping business going here, but there's a nice contingent of clients with whom I've already become familiar.

Comment

Do the clients know about your - um - DISEASE? Hide the wagon! At least, don't drive it to work or they'll think "That boy ain't right" as we say here in NC.

Dan

Comment

Another wagon....I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Welcome aboard.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

What a great project. Different and you are using some ingenious salvage yard ideas instead of spending big bucks.

My only career advice is maybe not having Snake Eyez on your business card. Maybe a car with functioning air conditioning to drive in your suit on the hot days.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Cool project, I like the idea of a roadrunner wagon, you need a meep meep horn!

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                            Another wagon....I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Welcome aboard.
                            Yeah, wagons seem to be experiencing a popularity uptick - maybe its because they're a little cheaper than coupes and hardtops, or maybe its because there's crazy people like me who actually went out looking for one!

Nice to be here!

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                            What a great project. Different and you are using some ingenious salvage yard ideas instead of spending big bucks.

My only career advice is maybe not having Snake Eyez on your business card. Maybe a car with functioning air conditioning to drive in your suit on the hot days.
                            Haha, yeah, my forum alter ego is not connected to my attorney personality in any way. It was started innocently enough, but it'd probably rub people the wrong way.

And my intent is to get the A/C working early next season, the compressor still kicks on if you power it, and it isn't seized, so I'm thinking it might be a prime candidate for an R134 conversion. We'll see.

Originally posted by hauen View Post
                            Cool project, I like the idea of a roadrunner wagon, you need a meep meep horn!
                            Ha, I meant to mention, the car actually has an OEM Meep Meep horn out of a 70 Roadrunner - the previous owner installed it.
                            Its ratty looking, but it works great!
                            I bought a new "Voice of Roadrunner" sticker for it and am going to leave it kind of ratty looking - people will only notice it if they look!

Comment

I dig the wagon.

Comment

Working...
                              X