No announcement yet.

1966 F-100 EcoBoost & 1966 F-100 427 Side Oiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After engine and transmission were in final resting spot ordered a custom driveshaft. It was at this point where things started to snowball. When driveshaft showed up and went to install I found a lot of slop in the 50 yr old Dana 60. I had "assumed" it was bearings or ring and pinion toast as I had seen in the past. I ordered a rebuild kit of all new bearings and felt this would be a good time to change ratio from the stock 4.10 to a better 3.54. Why install new gearing and all new bearings etc and not add the much needed posi.

I decided it would be much easier to just remove the entire Dana 60 for a rebuild.

Of course it would not take much more to remove the front suspension and maybe give the frame a quick sandblast, make the frame look nice again . . SNOWBALL keeps getting bigger until the wallet more than hurts.

Frame was nice but not nice enough . . LOL

How much more work to paint the cab? no, too many other projects to deal with.

Comment

• Before I knew it I had a full blown restoration on my hands! OUCH! The older I get the dumber I get and the slower I go . .

This spot had pretty nice factory paint yet .

It took about 3 hours to fully blast the frame but about 6 for cleanup! LOL

Comment

• All down to "white" metal for best adhesion for the PowderCoat. Factory finish was pretty shiny so went with a satin Black.

Of course decided to do the complete rear axle prior to disassembly.

A few days later the frame was done!

Comment

• Having the Race Scales Handy took a weight reading of bare chassis to see what it was vs a new version. The new chassis for Eco 1 was 520 lb bare.

The 1966 F250 Chassis bare is 369 lbs. Heavier than I thought but still much lighter.

The Dana 60 On bench ready for teardown.

Comment

• Originally posted by hauen View Post
            You're making it look easy.
            Taking and posting pics is a bit easier than doing the work! Ha~ha. Getting a bit too old for this stuff but it beats sitting in a rocking chair all day . .

Comment

• Hoping to have the rolling chassis back together this week.

The 2015 Eco

After removing rear cover it was pretty clean inside for not being touched in 50yrs other than a few fluid changes. Turns out what I thought was most likely bearing failure or ring and pinion failure was the side gears were worn causing what I thought was excessive back lash.

The new Dana Posi

A bit of detail and cleanup on the rear springs.

4340 Chromoly axles, new posi, yoke and gear set.

Takes quite a bit of effort to get correct preload, pattern etc. Lots of trial and "error"

Finally ready to be bolted back into chassis. Because its so heavy will leave axles and hubs off until its in place. Too heavy working by myself.

Comment

• Very nice indeed!

Dan

Comment

• Looking Great!
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Quick update Eco 2;

Its now running, I have put the cab back on temporary to fit the front sheet metal as need to modify front clip to make room for the massive radiator. Stock is 26" Wide and the current 2015 Radiator is 41" wide.

Amazingly nice original front sheet metal. Pretty much have it figured out what to do to make it all work. Just need to find the energy to actually get it done.

Comment

• Eco 1 & Eco 2

Custom wheels for Eco 1

Comment

• Yay! Hub caps!
                        Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Its hard to believe its been over a YEAR since last update. With the slow progress I make it needs to be about a year apart in order to show any progress!

Eco1 has been my daily driver for quite some time now. In past couple months have made 2 trips to southern california. Last trip was for the F100 Western Nationals. Swung by Oakley for a photo op. Metal looking building bare metal truck.

8300 miles on it so far. Its been a total blast!

Comment

• Sweet! Glad to see you driving it!

Comment

• yet another truck project. The grand finale before I hang up the wrenches for good . .

A sneak peek

All aluminum 540" Twin Turbo Boss 429 For a daily driver pick em up!

Billet crank from Sony Bryant
                              Rods from Carillo
                              Custom hard coated turbo pistons from Diamond
                              Nice alum block
                              These components all good for 3000-3500 HP
                              Custom truck pan by Stef's
                              Heads from Kaase
                              Oh yeah, It will be EFI TOO!

Comment

• Why hang up your wrenches?
                                Gonna need to maintain em...

Comment