1966 F-100 EcoBoost & 1966 F-100 427 Side Oiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    I was asking because to my knowledge, with a 2.500 cam tunnel bore - you can run either 55MM roller bearings or 60MM babbit bearings. At one time I thought I was told that 60MM camshafts were all made out of billet cores which still requires roller lifters (no flat tappet stuff). I am running a non-boosted cam with a net lift of .706 which seems to require lifter changes/rebuilds at 8K - 10K intervals. I would really like to find a source for cam bearing spacers so I could run a 55MM flat tappet - I would gladly sacrifice some power for longevity.
    Is this on that beautiful wagon?

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Is this on that beautiful wagon?

Dan
      Yes - my retirement present was a new bullet for the wagon!

I have not decided what combination I am going to put in the truck. It would be ultra cool to step up to a large CI Boss9 but whatever I end up with it is doubtful it will have an aluminum block (unless I can figure out the cam/lifter/bearing deal). I will admit that I am very envious of his plan for a 1200hp twin turbo daily driver so I will pay close attention to this thread for a while.

Comment

• Pretty close to done. Video from today.
        Full walk around engine running.

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Yes - my retirement present was a new bullet for the wagon!

I have not decided what combination I am going to put in the truck. It would be ultra cool to step up to a large CI Boss9 but whatever I end up with it is doubtful it will have an aluminum block (unless I can figure out the cam/lifter/bearing deal). I will admit that I am very envious of his plan for a 1200hp twin turbo daily driver so I will pay close attention to this thread for a while.
          Running a hydraulic roller cam. Should last a long long time.

Comment

• Its been difficult trying to sign in. It seems like it allows me to sign in but then automatically signs me out. Testing . .

Because of all the $$ dumped into the EFI on the 482 and simply could not get it to idle proper. The more it "learned" the worse the idle got. If I started over from scratch on tune it would run ok for a few miles. Last time I drove it in early April I used a full tank of fuel in 88 miles. After spending nearly 5 k on just the FiTech I ended up getting a offer on entire engine so sold it.

Plan was to build another FE just a basic 410 but with proper ;machine work so it would last a long time. Waited nearly 6 months getting jerked around by the machine shop only to find in the end they ruined all 3 of my remaining FE blocks.

At that point a 1 of 5 Raptor 450/510 Crate Engines became avail from Ford Performance so I decided to just use it along with a 10 Speed auto to replace the FE.

At least to me the value of truck would be a bunch more and hoping its much more enjoyable the MPG will triple, it should make a bunch more power and I can go places.

The new crate engine and 10R80 auto are now installed in truck. Next up is to tackle the wiring to make it all work without a stand-alone system but with a stock FoMoCo PCM.

Comment

• Wow!
              Oughta be impressive

Comment

• Sorry you had so much trouble with the FE. I'm an FE fan though I can't tell you why - I just like 'em. Sounds like you have a plan that ought to meke serious HP and a drivable truck. Good luck to you.

Dan

Comment

• as I'm on the start of the FItech learning curve with my 427... what was the issue(s) with the FItech?
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• wow, what great builds! I was wondering how you would handle the HVAC on ecoboost #1, great work!
                    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                    1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                    2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Sorry you had so much trouble with the FE. I'm an FE fan though I can't tell you why - I just like 'em. Sounds like you have a plan that ought to meke serious HP and a drivable truck. Good luck to you.

Dan
                      I like the FE engines too. Worked on my first one way back in 1971-72. Engine itself was awesome (482) it was the FiTech EFI that gave the issues and cost so many $$.
                      I still have a FE powered truck I am restoring and in process of building another FE for another truck. These days I can drop in a new or no mile engine that will make more power and be a fraction of the cost. More for long distance cruisers than staying closer to home.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        as I'm on the start of the FItech learning curve with my 427... what was the issue(s) with the FItech?
                        It was the dual quad EFI Mostly the idle. On a fresh new tune it was ok but as it "learned" it got to the point it would not idle. FiTech has a horrible way they sinc the efi. Single efi units could be much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
                          wow, what great builds! I was wondering how you would handle the HVAC on ecoboost #1, great work!
                          Because of $$ I just used the HVAC from donor truck. Zero extra $$ and it worked fantastic in such a small cab. I actually used the complete interior from donor. Firewall, dash, column, floor, seats and all electronics. I had a very nice driver for on the cheap and was basically a new truck except sheet metal. Best of both worlds.

Comment

• Now building the stainless headers for the 540" B9 Twin Turbo project. Not sure what's up but after a post it boots me offline.

Comment

• Originally posted by EcoBoostedF100 View Post

Because of $$ I just used the HVAC from donor truck. Zero extra $$ and it worked fantastic in such a small cab. I actually used the complete interior from donor. Firewall, dash, column, floor, seats and all electronics. I had a very nice driver for on the cheap and was basically a new truck except sheet metal. Best of both worlds.
                              I saw that, it was really impressive! but the cabs are bigger (deeper?) on the newer trucks, with the dash extending from the firewall into the cab space, whereas the older trucks put the dash right up against the firewall. When I saw you say you were going to do the dash swap, I wondered how it would fit, then I saw you rebuilt the cowl and replaced the firewall, quite intense, impeccable work!
                              "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                              1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                              2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• Originally posted by ejs262 View Post

I saw that, it was really impressive! but the cabs are bigger (deeper?) on the newer trucks, with the dash extending from the firewall into the cab space, whereas the older trucks put the dash right up against the firewall. When I saw you say you were going to do the dash swap, I wondered how it would fit, then I saw you rebuilt the cowl and replaced the firewall, quite intense, impeccable work!
                                Thanks!
                                It was a fair amount of work. Fantastic driver though.

Comment

Working...
                                X