No announcement yet.

1966 F-100 EcoBoost & 1966 F-100 427 Side Oiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making decent progress on the looking for more power swap. (FE guys will hate it)
    the new 1 of 5 Raptor 450/510 crate engines and new 10R80 now installed in truck.
    Undercarriage stuff pretty much done. Now fitting the 2018-20 Raptor Radiator, Condenser and cooling fans to the ‘66 core support. All fitting well so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E0C5094A-6342-487C-9235-BFB9FB1564CD.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	943.7 KB
ID:	1263880
    Attached Files

Comment

• Fitting it all in tight engine bay.
      goal is 550 rwhp with tune on E50
      3700 lb weight goal. Should run great with the 10 speed auto.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Its been a while since last post. Health stuff has really kicked my butt! Lost another year with not much getting done.

Bit of progress. Undercarriage is getting close to done. Bit more wiring for the fuel pumps. Will have total of 46 gallons with goal in mind of 900 mi per fill when needed. I built a extra 27 gallon tank. It's capless filler hid behind license plate. I modified exhaust from 427 to fit the eco and also rerouted the tailpipes to clear the large tank

Attached Files

Comment

• After seeing my crate engine my buddy Mel decided he wanted to upgrade the LT1 in his '56 BelAir (one we did a rottisserie resto on) He bought a new LS3 Crate engine. Total pain and the cost was way way out there by the time one buys stuff other than engine. It cost a bunch more for "accessories" than it did the engine.

Comment

• Welcome back! At least you missed the extended misfire of the site but all seems to be well now.

You sure do beautiful work! Please keep us up to date.

Dan

Comment

• Quick update on the 540 TT boss9 project.

Built some custom turbo headers

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Welcome back! At least you missed the extended misfire of the site but all seems to be well now.

Dan
                Thanks!

I tried to look at the projects page a couple times but kept getting bad site spam warnings and it would try to send me elsewhere. Looked now and it seemed normal

Comment

• Originally posted by EcoBoostedF100 View Post

Thanks!

I tried to look at the projects page a couple times but kept getting bad site spam warnings and it would try to send me elsewhere. Looked now and it seemed normal
                  The guys (mostly Chad, I think) had a heck of a time with it. I'm no computer jock but if I got the story right the main programming for the site was compromised by a (or several) determined hacker(s). Took a LONG time to sort it out but it's been fine for several weeks.

Dan

Comment

After seeing my crate engine my buddy Mel decided he wanted to upgrade the LT1 in his '56 BelAir (one we did a rottisserie resto on) He bought a new LS3 Crate engine. Total pain and the cost was way way out there by the time one buys stuff other than engine. It cost a bunch more for "accessories" than it did the engine.
                    oh the number of times I've been in heated discussions over the real cost of a LS swap... does your buddy say it was worth the cost? after all, that's really the only measure that matters.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 13, 2021, 10:11 PM.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

oh the number of times I've been in heated discussions over the real cost of a LS swap... does your buddy say it was worth the cost? after all, that's really the only measure that matters.
                      Mel is now 78 yrs old. We tore the car apart in 1997 and had it kinda finished with the LT1 and within last week or so can finally say its turn key finished and he drives it a lot. He was not thrilled with total cost for swap but retired getting older and happy to have his "Dream Car" on road.

The LS3 was around 7300.00 but well over 8500 more was spent trying to get it working/running. Trying to get the AC system, GM PCM, Dakota Digital Dash and transmission controller all to work in sync was not a easy task. A lot of lessons learned different manufacturers of parts were pointing fingers at each other why things did not work together.
                      Yeah, one could buy a junker high mile engine and do it cheaper but ya get what ya pay for! Many big $ items were simply thrown in trash and another ordered. Got steered wrong many times. NOTHING fit as it was supposed to or worked like it was supposed to. Followed engine break-in to a T so it's working great. Had to replace oil pan which needed modifications to clear the frame. These engines are very LONG! do not fit so well like the old small block or LT1. His car is only 3450 lb now. A friendly competition vs my Truck which will be around 3700 lb and the rated Raptor engine being 450/510 vs his 430/420. We will be testing soon! If his is faster which I doubt I can tune it a bit up to 600/600 at tire. So he ain't gonna win! LOL His car has much smaller tire and 4L60E vs my 10R80

They say do a chevy LS swap they are cheap! Well, in the end he spent many 1000 more than I did. His engine was 100.00 less to start with.

Would I ever do another LS swap? Not a CHANCE! It's easy to say Never Again!
                      Last edited by EcoBoostedF100; February 13, 2021, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        Welcome back! At least you missed the extended misfire of the site but all seems to be well now.

Dan
                        It took us so long with a hour here a hour there the paint is now 23yrs old! It has held up very very well.

Comment

Mel is now 78 yrs old. We tore the car apart in 1997 and had it kinda finished with the LT1 and within last week or so can finally say its turn key finished and he drives it a lot. He was not thrilled with total cost for swap but retired getting older and happy to have his "Dream Car" on road.

The LS3 was around 7300.00 but well over 8500 more was spent trying to get it working/running. Trying to get the AC system, GM PCM, Dakota Digital Dash and transmission controller all to work in sync was not a easy task. A lot of lessons learned different manufacturers of parts were pointing fingers at each other why things did not work together.
                          Yeah, one could buy a junker high mile engine and do it cheaper but ya get what ya pay for! Many big $ items were simply thrown in trash and another ordered. Got steered wrong many times. NOTHING fit as it was supposed to or worked like it was supposed to. Followed engine break-in to a T so it's working great. Had to replace oil pan which needed modifications to clear the frame. These engines are very LONG! do not fit so well like the old small block or LT1. His car is only 3450 lb now. A friendly competition vs my Truck which will be around 3700 lb and the rated Raptor engine being 450/510 vs his 430/420. We will be testing soon! If his is faster which I doubt I can tune it a bit up to 600/600 at tire. So he ain't gonna win! LOL His car has much smaller tire and 4L60E vs my 10R80

They say do a chevy LS swap they are cheap! Well, in the end he spent many 1000 more than I did. His engine was 100.00 less to start with.

Would I ever do another LS swap? Not a CHANCE! It's easy to say Never Again!
                          I have a 'free' 6.0 LS in my 64 Buick wagon (I owned the vehicle I harvested the motor from). I'm into it about 3k. Nothing fits, the oil pan, the accessories, then convert from drive-by-wire because I don't want the bulk at the firewall (plus this motor is 'temporary')... on top of that, the dirty secret is you should fix the rockers on used motors (mine had 200k) and you may have to replace lifters. Once you're there (because you have to pull the heads to get the lifters out), you'll find out about harmonics wiping out cam bearings.... I drink GM Koolaid, but I won't ever mislead that it's a cheap or easy swap. That said, it's a 400 hp motor in stock trim... which is a nice addition to any old car. The only way anyone could say they are 'easy' is because there are tons of parts available for the swap, but cheap is quite a stretch.
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 14, 2021, 09:00 AM.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Instead of posting a bunch of pics here is a short video showing progress. FINALLY starting to look like something was accomplished!

3.5 Twin Turbo 450/510 Crate engine From Ford Raptor along with a 10R80

Comment

• It runs! First fire of the Raptor Crate engine in the '66 F100

First real start, run, rev of the Raptor powered 1966 F100. Watch to the end to catch it start and run for first time! A couple 2500 rpm revs. First test dri...

Comment

• Is that dash cluster an off the shelf part available from a 3rd party supplier?

Comment

Working...
                                X