No announcement yet.

Joe's FJ1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been riding the bike a lot and other than having to rebuild the slave cylinder it has been just fine..until this weekend. the shock on the bike took a poo on me. It bottoms out on the slightest bumps. I figured it is going to cost me an arm and a leg to buy a new one and I was right, the least expensive quality replacement is close to 500 bucks. I then started researching potential shocks from other bikes that I could retrofit with no luck due to the year of my bike.

I researched the brand of shock and it is made by Ohlins. The shock was a pretty penny new and they are rebuildable. I've been working with a customer service rep there and it looks like it will be about 125 to send it out and have it rebuilt and with a stiffer spring to support my...petite stature. I should be on the road again in a two weeks.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

That's cool that they can and are willing to rebuild it, plus upgrade to your needs.

I fired 2 outta 3 bikes last night. Gonna sell the 440LTD of my wife's and replace it with a 700 LTD 2 years newer and lots much shinier. That lightweight dry cell Shorai battery I tried works great too. Its so light it feels weird installing it, it weighs next to nothing.

Last edited by STINEY; March 26, 2015, 08:50 AM.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Ohlins services anything they make...or made. I spoke with the customer service rep this morning and he said this shock was made in 97 and has not been in production in some time.

I've been looking for a newer bike. the problem is there is nothing comparable being made at an affordable price. I wanted a Suzuki Bandit GSF1200 but they dont sell the newer ones in the states. I can get an 08 for a reasonable price tho. I know after riding this thing I will not be happy on a smaller bike, the power and torque the engine makes is fantastic and makes for a fun, fun ride. It is starting to show its age the longer I own it. The new FJ1300 is an amazing bike but far out of my price range and the 1000cc bikes just dont make the grunt at low RPMs...

I guess the right thing to do is make what I've got better instead of being lazy....

Lots of those LTDs running around out here...they still bring a few bucks as well...bikes are not cheap here...good riding weather more often than not.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I hear you on the age thing. My '81 Suzuki GS750E fired up like it always has after a long slumber....even with stale fuel (did have sta-bil, but 3 years old)

Problem now is the front brakes are dragging very badly. The master cylinder reservoir is nasty-brittle looking, afraid to touch it. It has been nasty looking but the brakes worked fine, so I left well enough alone.

Now it looks like updating/searching for suitable replacements are in my near future. If you were closer I'd be interested in that FJ....cool machine.

The "new" '84 Kawasaki LTD700 of my wife's is super clean. Well, its dusty as all get out in this picture I took last week, but its really nice under that.

Replaces this '82. Yeah, giant leap forwards, 2 whole years and 2 more cylinders, lol! She likes them as the center of gravity is really low.

Last edited by STINEY; March 26, 2015, 08:47 AM.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

short wheel base, low center of gravity and a comfortable riding position...its easy to see why these were a popular bike....

Comment

So at some point a previous owner put an Ohlin's shock on your bike or is it a stock OEM shock made by Ohlin's? .

Ohlin's is top notch suspension in the motorcycle world. I have an Ohlin's shock on my race bike, It was a huge investment for me at that time, but it made all the difference in the world.
              The correct spring will make a noticeable improvement BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                So at some point a previous owner put an Ohlin's shock on your bike or is it a stock OEM shock made by Ohlin's? .

Ohlin's is top notch suspension in the motorcycle world. I have an Ohlin's shock on my race bike, It was a huge investment for me at that time, but it made all the difference in the world.
                The correct spring will make a noticeable improvement BTW.

The Ohlins shock is an aftermarket piece. It's build date is 1997. I sent pictures to the customer service rep and he couldnt believe that it was in such good shape. It could use servicing but since I created the shorter dog bones it performs beautifuly. Money is a little tight right now, the Mustang needs tires and the Fury needs an altenator (again) but once I get that squared away I will send the shock in for servicing. I spoke with the Ohlins rep a few days ago and he says the p/n on the spring indicates that it was changed at one point and that it is ideal for my weight so I'll save a few bucks now that I wont have to pay for a spring.

Comment

I like a loud harley but...there is a limit...some are so loud I cant stand it...........Mine is really quite at low RPMs but once you open it up...man does it scream, the sound is just brutal...who needs a radio when 4cyl and 4 carbs are screaming thru a V&H muffler at full song....I love it...

Comment

They gotta sound good if they are loud!
                    At the farm... Kid can hear bikes go by, tells me what sound good and what are posers.. Most Harleys have sound but not the performace

Comment

Funny how you see HP numbers on the import bikes and torque on domsetic V twins...never the other way around...

It is all about the low end torque on the twins...my wifes bike is a 103 and it is a stump pulling monster and makes for a fun ride but....the top end performance is lacking...

I think this is why I like my bike so much, it makes quite a bit of low end for an import bike so you dont have to rev it if you dont want to...but you can if you want to and it will perfom really well up top...it doest have the top end that a modern bike has but...for a 25 year old scooter...it's pretty damn impressive IMO.....

Comment

Joe, have you ever ridden a V-Twin sport bike, or sport touring bike like Ducati ST2/ST4, or one of the Japanese big twins like a RC-51 or an SV1000?
                        Those things are my preference to say the least. I love the way a nicely designed V-Twin works with a sport bike Chassis. You get that great torque blast our of a corner, and still have great mid-range and top end to keep the inertia going.

Comment

I like the Buel, never ridden a Ducati but my buddy owns two and he will sing their praises from on high every opportunity he can...and they sure sound sweet....The hopped up 1200 sporty engine Buel was using was nice but I think the Rotax they went to...I think that was a better balance of low/mid/high power.....

I've looked at a few newer bikes...I'd like a new Bandit but they arent availible here in the states....I do lust after the FJ1300R.....such a beautiful bike....and to be honest, I wouldnt kick a nice Fatboy or Road Glide out of the garage.....but...I'm poor so my FJ will be a place for me to park my ass for many years to come....

Comment

Your bike is probably the best value in the entire motorcycle landscape. I recommend you throw you leg over a good V-Twin sport bike (NOT a HD-Powered Buell :P ) sometime just to check it out. I could roll by 1200 Buels at Road America back in the mid-90's with my 750 2-valve air cooled Ducati.
                            Not that it would in any way compete with the performance of a monster 4 cylinder like you already have, it's just a different way to do the same fun job.

My Honda RC51 was probably the most powerful V-Twin I have ridden, and it was insane. While it made peak HP of about 135 at about 9,500 RPM which is not earth shattering given it's 1,000cc size, the torque line stayed at over 70 ft-lbs from 5,500 to the power peak of 10,000 RPM, it was a crazy animal to ride. And that was back in 2002!
                            Last edited by mike343sharpstick; April 2, 2015, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I had to google the RC51...that is a sexy sexy bike....with a torque liike that...my god....you'd have to chisle the smile off my face....

the HD Buell isnt near as good as the Rotax....146hp and 86lbft vs 103 and 84 on the HD powerd ones....Still, the little "1200" XB1 is torquey and fun

Wife says I need a big twin cruiser....I think I like the idea of a balanced sport tourer....comfortable, powerful, and still fun to ride on the twisties...shes sold on the HD life style...the fashion and nosie...I am hooked on turns and speed....its a real impass in out relationship at the moment....

Comment

I loved my 850 Yamaha Triple.. Nice riding bike that liked either freeways or backroad twisties..
                                Gold Wing 1000 was a pig on corners. One side you could lay it low and the torque will pick it up, the other side, it would lay it down..
                                All you young uns's bikes are probably 1000X better..

Comment

Working...
                                X