Joe's FJ1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe's FJ1200

As some know, or dont I picked up a 1990 FJ1200 for $1600 here about a month and a half ago. So far I like the bike, it rides well, handles well and runs like a top. It has plenty of power and enough to get you into trouble if you're into that sort of thing. It feels well mannered and is comfy to ride with the after market Corbin seat.

There is a list of things that I need to attend to.

First: The chain is on it's last leg. Cant adjust it anymore. So, I will be ordering a new chain and sprocket set soon.

Second: If I were 2 foot shorter the wind screen would be ideal, however being the enormous wind break that I am the screen is in such a position that it directs air right at my helmet. That air beats the holy hell out of me while I ride and needs attention before I do any long riding. A new screen will run me about 150 bones...no biggie.

Third: Hand grips, they are gross and need swapped out

Fourth: It needs a good detailing.

Fith: I am going to have to check valve lash some time soon. The bike has a solid cam and shiming the valves is part of regular maintenace, I have a service manual so it will be "fun" learning some new stuff on a bike.

Other than that I have no issues, I LOVE this bike. I made a good choice.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Hmm, damnit...I intended on putting this under "project cars"...Oh well.....
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Yamaha's lash needs checking every 5k, do not often need adjusting.. The fairing I bought my 850 had optional tall windshield as I am long bodied (5-11 with 30 inch inseam) and got 2-3 inch extensions called "winter shields" that directed air off my hands. Being in AZ, I can see wanting to get the hot air off you.. Plus it keeps you balanced while passing trucks! I'm jealous!

Comment

I have the same windscreen to helmet problem on my bike. I've done nothing about it, but researched it at one time and found, for my bike anyways, there is this little clear wing thing that can be bolted to near the top of the windscreen that is adjustable to push the wind stream a bit higher. It's like a spoiler but sits above the screen some, like to both disrupt and raise the air.

I wouldn't mess with the valve lash unless you "hear" noises from the valvetrain. Again, back when I first got my Kawasaki ZZR600, I was on bike forums some, and the general consensus among the folks that pulled the valve covers off was no adjustment was needed. These were guys putting 12,000+ miles per year on their bikes with like 80k on a bike only six years old. Your call, though. I had the valvetrain cover off my old '87 Ninja 600 and it wasn't difficult, just a lot of work to say "its fine". Mine is also solid lash and I have no intentions of pulling the cam cover unless I hear something. Maybe research what others have seen on your model bike? Or Yamaha's in general?

Oil the chain religiously and it will practically never wear out. I have a sad 15,xxx miles on my bike and adjusted the chain slightly, once. I keep it well greased. My first bike I neglected quite a bit and think I put three chains and sprockets on it in 20,000 miles and was constantly pulling slack out of the chain.

I think a moderator can move this to the Project Cars board.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          Hmm, damnit...I intended on putting this under "project cars"...Oh well.....
          I moved it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post

I moved it for you.

You da man!

Comment

Maybe it's just the angle of the picture. Literally looking down on it. But, why do I think I would look big on this bike? I am imagining Joe the Bear on a minibike at the circus when I think of you riding it.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                Maybe it's just the angle of the picture. Literally looking down on it. But, why do I think I would look big on this bike? I am imagining Joe the Bear on a minibike at the circus when I think of you riding it.
                Because there IS a pic of Joe the Bear on a Minibike, I think, in pic of the day... He makes that bike look like a 250 easily!

Comment

Yeah. It is a big bike and heavy too but I manage to make it look small. My son laughed and said I looked like a gorilla on a kids bike...A gorilla? no, nothing attractive about a gorilla on a bike...But a bear...now thats a sight to behold....

Last edited by JOES66FURY; September 16, 2014, 07:40 AM.

Comment

C'mon Joe! Repost that pic of you and the missus in the apt parking lot!

Comment

Comment

Still looks better than I do on my 250!
                        Local person
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
                          Still looks better than I do on my 250!

HA! You shoulda seen me at the Motorcycle Safety Class...I was riding a Yamaha WR250X, its a 250 Supermoto and was an absolute blast to ride but it was soooooooo tiny

Comment

I can imagine!! my class used mostly 125's. I was sure to grab a enduro, since it sat higher.
                            Local person
                            sigpic

Comment

Good to year you are enjoying it!
                              To say they don't make 'em like that anymore is totally true.
                              Nearly all the new stuff is getting smaller and lighter, so If the rider has a large 'Chassis' it's getting tough to find a good performance bike.

SilverBuicks maintenance recommendations are spot on.

Comment

Working...
                              X