No announcement yet.

Joe's FJ1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered a new chain and hope to isntall it this weekend.

I have taken issue with the mirrors on the bike. I cannot see behind me, at all...not even a little. I can see my shoulders or elbows, thats it no matter how they are adjusted. I was looking at mirrors but I dont like any of the aftermarket items availible. I found a video on youtube where a guy replaces the stock FJ mirrors with mirros from a 90-93 Honda VFR/CBR. The set lower and are longer and are MUCH better looking than the mirrors on the bike now. This is a big issue within the FJ community I guess, so this is a common mod....Hope to get that done up really soon...I need to see behind me.
    Last edited by JOES66FURY; September 23, 2014, 03:16 PM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I had a bike with those sucky mirrors.........worthless and scary. ( I was once almost run over from behind, if I hadn't heard the tires screeching and goosed it I would have been a hood ornament)

Replaced those worthless things ASAP!
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Biggest peevee of bike riding?.. TAILGATERS! ...bikes and cars! .. For some reason people think it is cool to follow a bike real close.. I have no qualms about speeding up and away... But then I didn't ride in big city "heavy" traffic.. LEARN how to "panic stop" .. At least figure how the bike reacts under severe braking.. I found stopping to let "road ragers" go on usually didn't work, just get away from them if you have the skills.. Your area may differ

Comment

I am in no rush, I've been tailgated at least once daily now for two weeks....I just keep my speed or slow down. I am not going to try to get away from them in the traffic around here. There is far more danger in that than just putting along and minding my own. I've been purposly riding around town so that I can inbed the braking process into my brain/muscles. I practice panic stops on a large drill pad...about 4 acres of concrete perfect for panic stops and U-turns.....I've been riding as much as I can, when I ride to work, instead of eating lunch I go for a ride...
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Which was why I said your area s different.. One thing I never understood was Cali allowing bikes to go between lanes ...

Comment

Dangerous if there is some asshole who decided he wants to be funny. I see some folks take it slow and others just haul ass...I didnt know it was an accepted practice there until recently.

Comment

I ordered a set of mirrors....

39 bucks shipped. I called the Honda dealer today and was quoted $131 a piece A PIECE for the OE Honda mirrors...these are the same but not made by Honda....Honda can shove their OE stuff up their cornhole......

Hopefully they arrive by the end of the week so I can get them on for Sundays ride.

Also got some new grips to replace the nasty old ones.

Comment

Joe, if you haven't already looked there, BikeBandit.com is a great resource.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The only thing I found scarier than going between cars on the freeway was putting my feet down on the freeway. I much rather move along at my own pace with eyes forward than get rear ended standing still on my bike on the freeway.

I was quite comfortable with it in CA after not too long. I didn't zip through at 90mph though either.

I have a greater fear of getting rear ended on the bike than of someone pulling out in front of me.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Agreed, I cringe when I am first at a light, the assholes in this town are something else....I always have a eye out behind me and a hand on the clutch ready to scoot if I have too...

Comment

And likewise I have an hand hovering over the brake handle going between cars (and on certain sections of road going to work where I know deer like to "pop" out suddenly).
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

New hand-grip installs go well with two techniques, 1 - Hairspray. 2 - compressed air shot between the grip and the tube to get it in place.

And in my experience OE motorcycle parts are significantly better quality than aftermarket stuff, that said, if the aftermarket parts are adequate it's all good.
                          When I was sponsored by dealers over the years I got parts at dealer cost (or dealer cost + 10% depending on what you worked out) which was BTW marked up 100%, so I got my O.E. parts at half price. I have always been curios if auto dealers have the same markup on parts??
                          Last edited by mike343sharpstick; September 24, 2014, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I dont know how dealers do it, I do know i had a buddy who used to get me Dodge parts at cost +10 and it saved me SO much money. I would get parts that listed for $100 or more for 30-50 bucks.
                            I was floored when that dude told me 131 a piece for those mirrors. I would have got them if it was for a set but c'mon...I need to see if there is a bike junk yard in this area.

Comment

Found one

Comment

Well, I found a 5.5 inch rim and all the bits and pieces for 300 bucks. Probably another 60 for the R1 front calipers...then I will have a bike that can stick to the road and stop as well as hauling ass in a straight line.

I replaced the chain and painted some parts that had peeling paint and cleaned a lot of grease and dirt....

otherwise I have been enjoying the hell out of it

Comment

Working...
                                X