1984 Chevrolet C10 LWB - 507" Cadillac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CanadianC10 View Post
    It will not let me reply to a post on my computer.. That is where all my photos are
    Are you signed in on the computer?

Comment

I think it would be a waste to order big spline axles on a 8 1/2, I would much rather order custom length axles for a 9 inch and go right to it, I was looking at 62 olds rear end, strong and have same lug pattern. Or use the kits to swap the car gears in to the 12 bolt, easier to find performance parts for I'm sure. Although I know a few guys running truck pinion and haven't encountered problems. But I have takin a rear apart and found a twisted pinion.. It will on depend on the money situation towards the spring
      Keep researching. I'm not trying to be a buzz kill, but in the drag racing world, the 9" rear ends on the fast cars have a bunch of money spent on upgrades to make them bullet proof.
      A 4300 lb vehicle with a 500 cubic inch torque monster hitting the tires at 4000 rpm is going to require some mods to just about any rearend you pick - if it's to survive the abuse.

I don't know if Dana 60's are readily available, or how much spool and axles for those are - but lots of older race cars used them because they are tough and require much less mods. My buddy's 68 Camaro running low 10's / high 9's has a Dana 60 with spool and axles and no other "upgrades"... it doesn't even require a girdle for the rear cover - it just has a chrome cover.

To get pics to show up, find the properties or address of the pic (right click on it) . It should start with http and end with .jpg . copy that address and put it between the brackets [ img ] ... [ /img ] (without the spaces) and it should show up.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...man/dana60.jpg <-- Here is an address for a pic I found online. When I put the brackets before and after, it should just show up as a pic...

Last edited by yellomalibu; September 19, 2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Comment

that link took me to the photobucket sign in page......if you have a photobucket account, use the forum codes to post pictures here...
          Last edited by 68scott385; September 19, 2014, 06:39 PM.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Im hoping that link will allow you all to view my photo bucket album. there are a few pictures of a mudtruck me and my uncle through together 5 years ago.

Dana 60s are very hard to get around here, most are full floating axles. Would be a nice find.

Comment

Easy to make reliable power with that Caddy motor for sure. Little confused on the 4000 stall thing...kinda wastin the torque value of the motor.

Comment

This forum seems to have a mind of its own, yesterday It let me post a reply on my computer but today it will not. And yes I am signed in. The idea of the 4000 stall is to take advantage of the power band for this cam shaft, which does not do well with low airspeed. It is on a 108 lsa. The engines have enough cubic inches to make reasonable torque throughout the powerband. The idea of my build was to not have a diesel, but to have a high horsepower high torque engine. Right now the stock manifolds are killing it, along with the current converter, it falls flat on its face. The heads could be a factor also, which will be eventually fixed with CNC porting. Hopefully later today it will let me post on my computer and will get the photos straightened out.

Comment

Use heads off a 472 for more compression...

Comment

They are high compression heads.. 76cc chambers 500's also had 76cc heads

Comment

High compression heads is relative...none of the Caddy motors had high compression. The 76cc heads were paired with dished pistons and the flat top pistons of later motors were 120cc. By adding the 76cc or 96cc (425) to a later flat top piston will increase the compression. I still think you might wanna rethink your convertor choice.

Comment

Originally posted by AFFORDILLAC View Post
                        High compression heads is relative...none of the Caddy motors had high compression. The 76cc heads were paired with dished pistons and the flat top pistons of later motors were 120cc. By adding the 76cc or 96cc (425) to a later flat top piston will increase the compression. I still think you might wanna rethink your convertor choice.
                        what he said
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You may want to consider your power band of the camshaft before laying major coin on the 4k stall torque converter... an excerpt from and article I recently read: How Do I choose the converter stall speed that is right for my application?

Answer:� Advertised stall speed will need to be at least 500 RPM higher than the beginning of the powerband of your camshaft. All aftermarket camshafts are supplied with a cam card that states RPM range.� If your camshaft states an RPM range of 1500-6500, for example, you would want to select a torque with a minimum of 2,000 RPM stall.� For a street car it is wise to also select a torque converter stall speed that is below the engine RPM at 65 MPH to prevent excessive heat build up.
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I CC'd my heads at 77cc, my pistons were 22cc and pistons were a couple thou in the block. gasket thickness is .047 I believe which left me with 10.2:1 Static Compression ratio is 10.2:1, with my cam that leave my dynamic compression ratio at 8.73:1. motor cranks at 170 psi. The Camshaft is a custom grind. there is no advertised RPM range, and that's bs anyway. to many variables come into play with rpm range. Im not gonna look at my cam card to decide stall speed, when you call COAN engineering they don't ask what your cam card says, they ask so many different variables along with it. Im gonna go by what I feel. and what I feel is a heavy ass truck that needs a big push to get it moving.

my original 68 was a "high compression motor" advertised 10.5:1 but was more like 9.5:1. Used peanut pistons (small small dish) and 76cc heads. that combination was used until 1970, after that they began pairing 76cc heads with "soap dish" pistons. and after that came the 120CC heads from 74 to 76" and they were using with round dish pistons, again a small dish.. 425 heads are actually 106cc and to bolt them on a 500 it requires drilling of a the deck surface and gasket to align water jackets. it will raise your compression from 8.5:1 to aprx 9.2:1.

This motor does not perform well below 3000-3500, it needs airspeed.

Comment

Comment

are you building a Dragster? or a Street Machine?
                                when i was drag racing I ran a 4000 stall converter but the only time the car ever saw the street was when I drove it down the driveway onto the trailer parked in the street
                                you dont want to street drive with that loose of a converter very far
                                chevy pick ups of your era have the aerodynamics of a brick have you had this engine on a dyno? to figure out where it is making power?
                                recommendation for a rear end from me would be grab a 9 inch ford axle toss in a ratchet locker and a set of mark williams axles and call it a day
                                your kids can have their own racecar www.aasbd.org

Comment

Working...
                                X