No announcement yet.

74 NovaMan's 65 Convertible VW Beetle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man.....that' s like adding up receipts on the mustang..... 3 barns worth. That is 9 beetles, 2 things, 1 Manx buggy, and 5 sandrails. Give or take. Beetles go from '56 to '76.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I just noticed too that there is a very weird fitting/line coming off the engine case behind the distributor. This is where the electrical oil pressure sender threads into the case. I've never seen a hose that large feeding an oil pressure gauge before?

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        Oh man.....that' s like adding up receipts on the mustang..... 3 barns worth. That is 9 beetles, 2 things, 1 Manx buggy, and 5 sandrails. Give or take. Beetles go from '56 to '76.
        ​Wow. That's a lot of VW!

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        I just noticed too that there is a very weird fitting/line coming off the engine case behind the distributor. This is where the electrical oil pressure sender threads into the case. I've never seen a hose that large feeding an oil pressure gauge before?
        That fitting/hose feeds an oil pressure gauge under the dash.
        Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
        79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Anyone have any recommendations for parts suppliers?
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
            Anyone have any recommendations for parts suppliers?
            Tough call, I spent about 2k into our buggy motor, prolly coulda got off cheaper but hey, it's my 1st go around with Vorschtwagon!

CB Performance was one place I used, reasonable prices & quality. http://www.cbperformance.com/

Another is Carcraft, nice people, decent prices... http://carcraftstore.com/

Chirco VW is ok... http://chircoestore.com/

I sent my heads to Mofoco, they did an 'ok' job on them, I still had to replace studs though... http://www.mofoco.com/

There's always STINEY LLC, he has old old stock...

Sad thing is most everything is made in China now, and the quality is marginal..

Comment

B-n-L Motorsports are my go-to guys for parts. https://www.facebook.com/bnlmotorsports I'd just call them, they are super-helpful on the phone and in person.

Appletree Automotive used to be great, but after Chad bought it from Larry Wagner back in the 90's it turned into a t-shirt and sandal shop that also sells chinese crap-tastic parts on the internet. I'm biased, so take that with a grain of salt. A very small grain.

CB Performance is great. I've dealt with them since back when they were "Claudes Buggies". Good stuff.

Rimco for machine work. Yeah, you have to ship stuff across country, but they know VWs and do a good job with quick turnaround.

Lots of local machine shops get all weird when you mention "Volkswagen", as if it weren't just another piece of metal that needs cut on. And then they screw it up. My experience anyways.

And yeah, Stiney Llc - - but I hear it is more of a VW parts hoarder situation where the proprietor can sometimes be talked out of some of his stash. Inventory is varied and unpredictable.

Comment

For interior upholstery and panels, TMIproducts have always had nice stuff reasonably priced. Good quality. http://www.tmiproducts.com/volkswagen/

Jbugs is also good for interior stuff. http://www.jbugs.com/category/vw-interior-parts.html

Comment

I'm on the hunt for some 1965 bucket seats. Looking for something I can recover, so I just need frames and springs. These appear to be a one year only seat as the shape changed in 65 and a latch was added in 66 for tilting the seat forward (no latch in 65). I could probably use 66 seats if I cant find 65s. Does anyone have information to the contrary? Or better yet, a pair of seats to sell me?
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

With my experience in derby.. I will say get latched seats! .. If you get rear ended or you rear end somebody, groceries ie: milk, beer, the like do not feel good hitting your back and the seat folding in the passenger side..

Comment

I have a line on a pair of 66 seats from a Craigslist ad. I also placed an ad of my own to try to get rid of a bunch of 73 parts I don't need, http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...721708626.html

I'll give it a little while and recycle the stuff if I can't sell it. Special discount for BangShifters! Free!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by 74NovaMan; October 19, 2014, 04:37 PM.
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

We looked at the gas supply issue today. We thought that this hose was the culprit as it looked to be kinked.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by 74NovaMan; October 19, 2014, 04:39 PM.
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Replaced the hose with a new section and still could not blow air through the line into the tank. So out came the tank. 4 bolts and 6 screws (for the sender) later it was out. Here is where it was.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by 74NovaMan; October 19, 2014, 04:42 PM.
                          74 Nova Project
                          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

The tank:

The liquid contents (I hesitate to call it gas):

Particulate sample from the tank:

Attached Files
                            Last edited by 74NovaMan; October 19, 2014, 04:45 PM.
                            74 Nova Project
                            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

A new tank will be ordered shortly. Possibly a new carb as well.

Pic of the floor pans:

Attached Files
                              Last edited by 74NovaMan; October 19, 2014, 04:49 PM.
                              74 Nova Project
                              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

FREE WEED KILLER! makes a stink but is a good center hump grass killer on gravel driveways!

Comment

Working...
                                X