No announcement yet.

74 NovaMan's 65 Convertible VW Beetle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always liked the 2-tone rims from the factory......how about having half Java green and half off-white/cream colored, with factory smoothie hubcaps, like that yellow one?
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• It may seem wrong, but that screwed together boot seam should be horizontal, not vertical like that one is installed. Replacements are easy to install. Nice lack of rust...that is certainly a good car.

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
      Found some stuff to add to the to do list once the car was in the air.

Drivers side boot shows a "recent" replacement. See the fresh puddle on the floor?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1008817[/ATTACH]

That is from this side. Started leaking as soon as it was in the air.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1008814[/ATTACH]

This is a picture of the drivers heater tube. The line going through it goes to an oil pressure gauge under the dash. The passenger side is empty. I'm guessing that I'm missing some ducting that comes from the engine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1008815[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        I always liked the 2-tone rims from the factory......how about having half Java green and half off-white/cream colored, with factory smoothie hubcaps, like that yellow one?
        We will be adding that option to the list for the final iteration. Thanks. What do you think about red wheels with the white body?
        Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
        79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          It may seem wrong, but that screwed together boot seam should be horizontal, not vertical like that one is installed. Replacements are easy to install. Nice lack of rust...that is certainly a good car.
          Thanks for the note. I'll make sure to order 2 new boots. I'm very happy to not have been surprised by more significant rust. Plan is to pull it off the pan next fall and rebuild/detail the pan, suspension and powertrain next winter. Looks doable from what we have seen.
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

We will be adding that option to the list for the final iteration. Thanks. What do you think about red wheels with the white body?
            Red wheels has always been one of those things I could never decide on.....some days/cars I almost really like them, others they almost turn me off right away. Though those on the yellow bug are in the almost like camp for sure. I think it has to do with the hubcaps and the overall niceness of the rest of the car.

Red wheels being the understated part of the whole enchilada works for me, but where they are the icing on a turd cake, well the turd cake would be better if it was not dressed up. It's okay to be a turd, just don't get all gussied up just to go to Walmart, you know?

The rear wheels on the yellow bug are widened, that adds significantly to the look.
            Last edited by STINEY; February 16, 2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• To me red wheels look good with a white or black suede paint job. With a green car not so much.

Comment

• Holy moly! I just noticed that the passenger side axle boot looks to be original! Very rarely will someone use the original seamless style on a rebuild or repair....that boot is likely 50 years old. Impressive!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_36556.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1008869 for your consideration...
                  my 49 chevy with red wheels

they are now gloss black
                  Last edited by 1badmonkey; February 16, 2015, 08:58 PM.
                  Charles

Comment

• and a beetle in Java green with red
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	4545638.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1008877
                    Charles

Comment

• Thanks Charles. That helps a lot. I don't think I like the red with the green. Teresa says "It looks like a Christmas tree!"
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I see red and green together I think Christmas, there is a Java green bug here with yellow rims...looks like a tractor....I like red rims on white or black cars....outside of that it offends my senses.
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Silver, white, or black: those would be my choices to decide on, although I'm not often a fan of black wheels - on some cars, however, it looks right.
                          If white - if they aren't the same shade of white as the car is now, they may look funny. Later after the car is painted green, it won't matter.

Comment

• How about paint the wheels yellow to go with the white.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

• For me, it's hard to argue with black centers, white rims, VW dog dish caps. That'll get you closer to the wide whites you wanted in the interim maybe.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• This is the look I'm seeing in my mind....

Comment

Working...
                                X