74 NovaMan's 65 Convertible VW Beetle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74 NovaMan's 65 Convertible VW Beetle

We found this around the corner from our place and it followed me home last week. Teresa seems happy with it so far.

Attached Files
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; September 21, 2014, 02:21 PM.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Top down pics:

Attached Files
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; September 21, 2014, 02:22 PM.
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

The car does not currently run, but we are optimistic that it is nothing major. Needs some rust repair in the floors (small patches as far as I can tell, the worst of it is by the battery). The car is very solid considering that where I found it. Looks more like something you would find in the south west. Once we get caught up on some house stuff and finish a few details on the Mustang, it should be full speed ahead.
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Porsche flat 6 transplant!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          Porsche flat 6 transplant!
          nice find on the beetle.

there is several conversions, even corvair. and subaru.
          all years.

the 5 speed porsche axle is nice addon.

I wished I could do a beetle, nearly impossible. Not one to let things sit and look pretty.. maybe some day.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have seen V8s in those things. Since it doesn't run, perhaps now is the time to get busy! Start looking for a Toronado

Comment

Put some huge jugs and slugs on a bored case, dual port heads, turbo with a draw through 4bbl!
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

LOL...these guys! Jus get her runnin and sound and enjoy! Nice looker from here. But be forewarned...once you have one, they come from all angles and more follow you home. Most from passers by who ask if you want another!
                Last edited by AFFORDILLAC; September 21, 2014, 07:21 PM.

Comment

The "right" transplant is a Suby flat 4! Air cooling is a myth and this swap fixes that. (I have often pondered such a swap - my oldest son has a "thing" for a Karmen Ghia). I wonder if there's a kit for that, though I haven't gone looking.

Dan

Comment

Nice score. Transplants are overrated...........these flat-fours respond REALLY well to some simple hop-up parts. Or do the reasonable thing and leave it stock and just cruise it. Can't lose!
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                      Nice score. Transplants are overrated...........these flat-fours respond REALLY well to some simple hop-up parts. Or do the reasonable thing and leave it stock and just cruise it. Can't lose!

let me get this straight, Chris is advising that you should leave the car stock. I wondered at those 4 horsemen that I saw riding past; now I know why.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It's that new Kool-Aid he's been sipping.

And yes, there are adaptors available for a Subaru-to-VW swap. Evidently the VW transaxle can be beefed up enough to hold the torque OK. There's a community out there for the swap, especially in VW busses.

Dan

Comment

After talking to a few VW guru's (including Chris) I found the top 3 ways to build a VW.
                          I still haven't finished my wife's buggy project mind you, but... well.. anyway...

1. Keep it Stock. Cheap, easy to maintain. might do 55...

Our buggy has a 1641, stock cam, bugspray carb, good enough to putt it around. Good enough for me.

2. Build a big bore/stroker motor. Expensive, even doing the work yourself, but FAST.
                          Big bore/Strokers is Chris' dept, especially when it breaks...

3. Sube conversion. (Barry's dream come true, a bug that runs, with a Rochester carb even!)

Sube conversion is basically the cost of a donor car. Junk Subes are cheap and have everything for the swap.

If that was my Bug I'd rock it stock. You can do a 1641, or a 1776 w/case work. Run a freeway flyer trans so it'll do 60..

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                            I have seen V8s in those things. Since it doesn't run, perhaps now is the time to get busy! Start looking for a Toronado
                            We are definitely not going in that direction at this point. I will note that when we discussed taking it on Power Tour, my first thought was we are going to need some help in the HP department if we are going to keep up with Allen!

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                            Put some huge jugs and slugs on a bored case, dual port heads, turbo with a draw through 4bbl!
                            Not sure about the turbo but we will be looking into upgrades of some variety.

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                            At this point we'd like it to not butcher it too much (probably no transplants requiring cooling systems). I'm leaning toward mild hot rod look (lowered, wider tires, simpler bumpers, etc..) with some tried and true upgrades (engine) so we don't get run over.

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                            1. Keep it Stock. Cheap, easy to maintain. might do 55...
                            You've got me worried with this one. I'd like to be able to cruise at 75mph without issues. Can I do that without breaking the bank?

I should add that this build will be much different from the Mustang as we have decided to do stuff as we can afford it as opposed to tapping the home equity.
                            74 Nova Project
                            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Wife #2 came with a '70 Bug (just a 2 door regular old Bug). It would do 70 all day long but, of course, did eat #3 exhaust valve every 12K to 20K miles, pretty much like clockwork. I did oil changes and valve adjustments every 3K and ran Castrol, which at that time was supposed to be "the good stuff". When the clutch took a dump I pulled the engine (of course) and checked the oil cooler while it was out. It was clean and working as designed (I forget the checkout procedure now). She drove it like a little old school teacher (which she was minus the "old" part) but when I was in it pushed it pretty hard so maybe that took out the valve more often than some might have experienced.

Anyhow, with nothing more than the aftermarket oil cooler I'd expect 70 to be a realistic cruising speed. I'd also pop for a Pertronics or other points replacement system. I used a Mallory Unilite in ours and it worked great but technology has marched WAY forward since then.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X