1975 cosworth vega v8 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1975 cosworth vega v8 swap

i found this vega a couple years ago and it finally getting close to running. cosworth motor was long gone when i got it, same with the dash and number plate. it was going to be my girlfriends car but she found a 93 bmw 318is that she had to have insted? so now ive sold it to a friend. but its still in my garage, and i guess im doing all the work too? its not going to be fully restored to original mint condition. the plan it to use the good stuff its got, 3.73 posi rear end, 4speed, and light weight. upgrade all the stuff that doesnt work, brakes, suspension, re do the wiring, can clean it up some. the motor of choice is a mid 60's vintage 283, bored 0.06 over ( now a 292ci). rebuild power pack heads that got decked for some extra compression, and a new cam and lifter kit from summit.

v6 springs cut down 1 coil and s10 spindles and brakes, rear brakes have also been changed to disc

saginaw 4speed with a corvette aluminum bellhousing

292CI sbc(283 bored .06 over), lumpy cam, roller tip rockers, deep sump pan, hydro slave, edelbrock intake, hurst shifter

corvette manual brake master and wilwood clutch.

Anything Vega, I'm all in. The S10 stuff is direct bolt in?
    Last edited by AFFORDILLAC; September 26, 2014, 08:22 PM.

Comment

my first hotrod was a V8 vega... they have a special place in my heart... can't wait to see your finished version.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by AFFORDILLAC View Post
        Anything Vega, I'm all in. The S10 stuff is direct bolt in?
        balljoint adaptors.

5-lug conversion, balljoint adapters, ball joint adapters, balljoint sleeves, ball joint sleeves

Comment

Wrong engine! A Buick 215/Rover aluminum V8 is the groovy choice (but I'm prejudiced - that's how I built my Vega).

Still, should be a fun car. The SBC will make it a bit nose heavy so be careful in corners - aluminum heads will help if you come across a set.

Dan

Comment

you know, Dan, once this LSR diesel is operational; you're just going to have to build one and show us plebs how it's done

^gauntlet thrown*

Comment

These would hurt under the front there, Tie Rod Sleeves, Steel, Black Powdercoated

Comment

The original Cosworth engine had all kinds of problems including the aluminum block that did not have iron bore sleeves. The second being the primitive fuel injection system. Both are fixable, but expensive to do so.

Looking forward to watching you build this one up.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  you know, Dan, once this LSR diesel is operational; you're just going to have to build one and show us plebs how it's done

^gauntlet thrown*
                  Already did one and I NEVER do the same thing twice. I have a closet desire to build some kind of street rod (oddball early 30's bigger car body - like a Packard or Hupp or some such) with a Packard 352 V-8. I didn't say it made sense - or that I have any budget. Next project will actually be to get the 'Stang back on the road - there's very little needed.

Dan

Comment

I love these cars (the wife not so much...) I'd do mine LIKE Dan's with a Buick/Rover V8 but put an Eaton M112 on top and have enough power to not care about slushbox losses. Either that or really mess with people and put a SAAB 2.3t motor in it driving the rear wheels for the double Blah Blah Blah What?!?!? of the motor and why.

Keep up the build, love to see what it takes.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Already did one and I NEVER do the same thing twice. I have a closet desire to build some kind of street rod (oddball early 30's bigger car body - like a Packard or Hupp or some such) with a Packard 352 V-8. I didn't say it made sense - or that I have any budget. Next project will actually be to get the 'Stang back on the road - there's very little needed.

Dan

whatever happened to the guy building the 30s racer from scratch?

I get this, but I also don't. I like my C3, but I want a different C3 and I'm not willing to cut this one up - there's plenty of others to rescue and make better than this 2nd one (heck the FJ40 is my 8th)...

poor OP, derailed and not even to page 2

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        I get this, but I also don't. I like my C3, but I want a different C3 and I'm not willing to cut this one up
                        You shouldn't cut it up. You should trade it off and build a 100S clone for your Dad. Do the right thing.....

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Dig Vegas...The early ones are my Favorites...like mini Camaros...Keep the updates coming....
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

You shouldn't cut it up. You should trade it off and build a 100S clone for your Dad. Do the right thing.....

Your wife will not be pleased if she found out you'd traded her car, that's in the process of restoration, for anything else.

Comment

I've always liked Vegas, though I've never owned one. Maybe because I thought they looked like miniature 2nd Gen Camaros, and I had a '71 Camaro for so many years. Also wanted to do a V8 Vega swap, but never got around to it. The 283 will be a much better choice than the original Cosworth engine was!

Comment

Working...
                              X