69 Cutlass-project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69 Cutlass-project?

Here's my 69 Cutlass in it's new home where I can actually get something done with it. Now before anyone says anything I know you're all jealous of my disco wheels! :D

I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing with this thing. I know I'm going to get it running and roadworthy, and my plan is to then sell it, but summer is basically here and I want to be driving a proper car all I can while I can. There is a distinct possibility that once I drive it again I won't be able to part with it, but I think I can do it. It has sat in storage for the last five years so it needs the brakes done and I'm sure all the fuel system just from that. The reason it got parked in the first place is because the top half of the motor is just wasted-like grab the retainer and rattle the valve around. I'm not sure what to do with it at this point. Should I do the bare minimum to get it running, or should I do more to make it more fun to drive and run a little stronger? (I know this is absolutely the wrong place to ask since we're all enablers here.) ;D

BTW-it's a four speed

Re: 69 Cutlass-project?

There are not enough hot rod Cultass's anymore. And, a 4 spd one is pretty rare too. I'd keep it.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

A. What size engine does it have?

B. Sell me those wheels or I'll hurt you.

I"m jealous of both the car AND the wheels. How can you sell a 4 sp cutass???
      Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Somewhere, there's a poor Firechicken missing its shoes.... shivering in the cold.... poor thing.

As for the motor, blown, alcohol, street driven 60 miles each way in the snow (uphill both ways of course).
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I say take the motor apart for a quick freshening.....Then drive it.

And sell Milkovich the wheels before he hurts someone.... ;D

Seth
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

If your situation allows it, ya gotta keep a 4 speed Olds. Well any 4 speed A-body for that matter.
            Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
              I say take the motor apart for a quick freshening.....Then drive it.

And sell Milkovich the wheels before he hurts someone.... ;D

Seth
              I won't rest until my whole fleet rolls on Appliance or western wheels!
              Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Straight looking car there Kris.Get it driveable and enjoy it!

Comment

Very nice Olds,Mr-4-Speed. LIKE the Silver-N-Black V-Top 8). If you can hang on to it,there's nothing like a 4-Speed 'A'-Body,belive me I know....I've got a bunch ;D. I also have a set Hurst Wheels that would look nice on that. ~J/W-OO6.

Comment

Cool car, I love the 68-72 A-body Olds ...

cheers
                    Ed N.
                    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I love 'em too - beautiful designs and this one has a really classy color combo. Not to mention the 4 speed. Did someone mention it had a 4 speed?
                      President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

I understand having too many projects - so if this one is truly at the bottom of your list - get it running and sell it.

(I have a sneaking suspicion you won't try to sell it really hard however....)
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

'IF'......you don't 'need' to sell it...................than don't,...after all,they ARE getting a bit harder to find with each passing day ;). ~J/W-OO6.

Comment

I only need to sell it to move on to the next car. There are several reasons why I want to sell it, and the biggest one is that it needs rust repair. I just don't want to deal with that-at all, ever, again, period. I could buy the equipment and learn to do it myself-it's not beyond my capabilities to figure it out and get good at it but I just don't want to. My ultimate goal is to have a four speed A-body (cause GM A-bodies are kind of perfect you know) but not this one. I want a fathom green 69 Chevelle with a small block, four speed, and buckets. I want a dry southwest car that's never ever ever been rusty. I want a plain old everybody's-got-one small block Chevy that I can tinker with all I want for cheap. If I stick with this car I will start running into a lot of the things that really frustrate me. Oldsmobile stuff is just stupid expensive, if you can find it. Having a car sit there because I can't afford or find what I need to move forward drives me nuts and I don't want to get stuck in that rut again. (I bought my Firebird because I was frustrated with this car) My need to be different has completely faded away and I just want to be driving and doing, so I need a Chevy. I like Chevelles better anyway. I really like this car but someone else out there would like it more than me, and I would like something else better.

The car has a 69 350-2bbl long block in it-8.5:1, an early M20, and an Olds 12 bolt with 3.08 gears and a great posi unit. I'll have to be pretty conservative with the 350 or it won't be happy with the 3.08's. I have thought about finding a running 455 to stick in it but I know the trans would be hand grenade. I've also thought about swapping it back to an auto if I could find the correct shifter and console for a reasonable price so it doesn't look hacked. A 455/TH400/3.08 combo would be great fun and reliable. BTW the car is not a legit factory built four speed car but it was converted with all the correct GM parts from a crashed donor car. It has the correct 4 speed console, floor shift tilt column with 69 3-spoke sport wheel, tick-tock-tach, and 68 buckets(same upholstery, no headrests). It's got discs, A/C, big block 442 springs, f/r sway bars, and boxed trailing arms too.

Milkovich-your welcome to the wheels as soon as I can find something else to put on it.

Comment

I can appreciate your desire not to get involved with a rusty car, so I understand your wish to sell the car. Have you considered getting a Monte? They are much more reasonably priced than Chevelles, and offer very similar mechanicals and in my unbiased opinion, cooler looks. I have several 2nd gen Montes and have loved them to death for 20 years.
                              President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X