X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 74 formula (rated R)

R for RUST.

I took the back bumper off the formula tonight:

The goal is to turn this in to a driving car I'm not ashamed to sell to some un-suspecting sucker so I can use the floor space.

I probably have about an hour a night during the week to devote to this so don't get your hopes up. This is going to be painfully slow.
    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Re: my 74 formula (rated R)

That thing is rough John.....Makes my Chevelle look factory fresh ;D

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Looks Ohio Fresh!

Comment

If I was going to come up with a gay "pro-touring" project name, I'd call it "Albatross"

I'm lucky I have a parts car I stole the tail and trunk floor off of. The rest of the car is in a little better shape but it's getting goodmark pieces anyway.

Comment

Man, I feel your pain. That rust reminds me of my Plymouth. Good luck, sir!

Ron
          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

That is rough man, But least you've got the drive to do it.
            Most would abandon that and use IT for parts.

Post up some more pics of the rest of the car.
            Might help with the perception of that one.
            The good thing is it's metal it can almost always be fixed.
            Sometimes not even well ( read BK General Lee ).

Good luck man,
            Chris

Comment

Remember that pulverized iron oxide is the primary ingredient in crocus cloth, a fine abrasive. You may be sittin' on a fortune there!

Dan

Comment

:o Dan's right :o! Quick,get a Dustpan & a Broom ;D! ~J/W-OO6.

Comment

All I can say man is, DON'T sneeze.

Comment

I got the tail pan off. There were only about 20 spotwelds holding it to the trunk floor.

The big problem is large chunks of crispy flaky framerails came with... I hadn't counted on that.

Might be time to start shopping for a newtexazonafornia shell. I'm going to keep going till I hit bedrock (good metal to start welding to.

ugh... :-\

Comment

Every time I think my Impala is a total rustbucket; I have to thank you Nor-easters for setting me straight. Ugh. I don't envy you.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I hate spot welds.

Comment

Odd. The Trunk Floor itself *LOOKS* solid,as does some of the surrounding Shetmetal(bottom of Quarters,bare Metal'd Quarters((on top,where the Spoiler was mounted....))). How's the rest of the Car? Front Floors? Subframe-Bolt-Mounts? Rad Support? Still,looks like a neat li'l project. I really don't know what it is,but I WANT to tackle a rust bucket project one day :P :. And It'll be a Ford or GM(Chev. Nova?)"something." It's something I just 'feel' I "need" to do : :D. After all,we live in 'an age of excellent quality repops. And they keep making MORE repop stuff every year. ~J/W-OO6.

Comment

The car is ROUGH.

The rear quarters are pop-riveted on, then bondo'd flush. They didn't even flange the quarters in.

The rockers are toast. They were Ziebarted which is a deathsentence for cars.

The floors are good except for the driver's footwell.

The rad support was a 72 as was the whole front end which I pitched. It's taken me 6 months of scrounging to find all the 74-75 front end parts (a nightmare).

I'm going to keep cutting till I find good metal to weld to. The frame rails behind the shackles are junk but infront they're good.

Suprisingly the metal above the gastank is all good and the firewall is good.

The car is a parts car by california standards and if this arizona shell I'm looking at comes through, I'll junk this one, but since I've got extra firebird parts and most of the sheetmetal already, I'll keep going on this one till the shell maybe shows up.

Comment

after this experience - what spot weld cutter would you recomend?
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X