No announcement yet.

TheSilverBuick's $250 POS camp trailer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheSilverBuick's $250 POS camp trailer!

According to weather.com the wind is blowing between 25-30mph with gusts up to 40mph and I believe it! So with a windchill making it feel like 19*F (I shoot for 25*F ;)) I'm not working on the Skylark :'( BUT! It was tolerable enough to go out and take some pictures of the Trailer.

I picked this trailer up at a Pick-A-Part in Southern California last December after seeing it there in the cars for sale lot for almost a year. It looks like it was hit or backed into something on the driver's side, but it doesn't look too bad for me, especially considering the price! I would have bought it sooner if I had a vehicle that could tow it, but last summer I got a Jeep and in December I happened to have it in California and I just had to drag it home :P Which brings me to the price, they were asking $600 for this junk pile, but I threw the offer of $200 out there and they didn't bite, they wanted $500, so I came back the next day and threw out $250 to a different guy and he took it ;D I'm not a very good wheeler and dealer so I was kind of proud of myself for that, The short term plan for it will be to use it at Bonneville, but it's small enough that the Skylark should tow it no problem for road and fishing trips too. Now for the downside :'( Apparently the paperwork the pick-a-part gave me to register it was not sufficient for Nevada DMV. I haven't been able to verify it but apparently in Nevada Pick-a-parts aren't allowed to sell vehicles to be put back on the road, and that goes with the trailer, grr. So last time I was in California I took the paperwork to a California DMV and filed all the paperwork needed to get an official title that the Nevada DMV would accept. Now I have to haul the trailer back to California to get the vin verified on the trailer so I can get the title in my name. I tried to play a sympathy card of having to tow the trailer 500 miles back with the DMV lady to just accept the vin, but no luck :P So that's where I am now, I have a temporary permit for it that expires May 15th, so I got until then to get it back to California but I need to do some electrical work on it first and possibly put legit trailer tires on it incase there is some kind of DOT inspection. Now on to the pictures!

At the pick-a-part (reconize this Shaun?)

The outside.

There is a kitchenette in there.

The backside.

I'll start with the kitchenette area. The door knob was locked and I didn't have a key but I had seen inside of it at some point over the last year but had completely forgotten there was a refrigerator like thing in there. So there is an Ice Box, a Propane stove and a Sink.

Looks like Ice is placed on the top shelf and as it melts there is a drain tube for the water. Nifty.

Cupboard space in there.

Now for the inside, complete with 60's green shag! You can see where I didn't screw around with the stock wiring for the lights to tow it home, I just bought a roll of trailer wire and ran it through the front window and right to the tail lights. I did this in a NAPA parking lot ;D

From the inside. I'm impressed that I have it sealed up pretty well and yet when I go into there isn't any terrible moldy smell. Thats a pretty sizable closet there, and there is a coat closet across from it that makes the body damage apparent.

The closet from the previous picture.

Here's the water tank, it either will need a severe bleach cleaning or replacing. I'll cross that bridge later. I haven't looked at where the sink pump is/was.

The lid back on the water tank to make it seating space and the table set up.

Now this has me a bit stumped. I've been told these slats are for sleeping on, but they are a little short for someone my height with my feet would hang off by a fair amount, plus they'd make me a bit nervous from a structural point of view. They can be pushed all the way forward and rolled up under the cabinets. I can't imagine they are for storage, just driving I think they would fall off the lip they are on.

Here is the coat closet, it's the corner that has been hit. It looks like it was pushed in a bit then pushed back out tearing up the corner 2x4 and the wall panelling.

Here is the same corner from the outside.

And here is the underside. It looks like it's all surface rust on the metal.

The game plan for work on it after I get the preliminary DOT and registration stuff out of the way is to rip out all the carpet and see what I can do to replace the entire wood/particle board flooring and 2x4 in the corner. Figuring that would be decrease the "ick" factor of being in it significantly. I'll replace the shag with linoleum and probably a removable rug. That's the must. I also plan on squaring away the wiring and putting in a battery box that will power the lights and water pump. I'm thinking I'll look into some solar panels on the roof for some passive charging of the battery(s). Who knows what else I might do for luxuries
    Escaped on a technicality.

Re: TheSilverBuick's $250 POS camp trailer!

A/C? Small generator and a window unit in the plastic covered hole under the kitchenette? I've thought about that ;) Wouldn't take much to cool the whole place down.

Comment

Randal,
      Check into requirements to register a "homebuilt" trailer in Nevada. I know here in Colorado, no matter the type of trailer, if it;s homebuilt (wink wink) you get the VIN assigned by DMV. Thats how I registered my car trailer, just estimated the cost of materials and registration fees were based on that figure. Maybe you can change enough of it to call it a homebuilt if you get my drift.

Does it have heat and 120V? If so it may be worth while to add some type of small swamp cooler/AC.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I tried that, but the problem with a small town is there is only three DMV people and they were all standing there when I was trying to get it registered, because of the fuzzyness of the laws. I using the example of dragging it out of field in Nevada and just putting it together myself and they weren't buying it. Plus they all know me because with four cars and a motorcycle all registered you can say I'm a regular there :P

I have given some thought to running one or two 120v outlets inside of it and run them off a small generator, but originally it's just a 12v system with a few lights inside and I'm assuming an rv water pump.

Comment

With the 12v system, 2 deepcell batteries and a solar charger for each one should be more than than enough. I think they even make 12v AC units for RVs.

Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
            With the 12v system, 2 deepcell batteries and a solar charger for each one should be more than than enough. I think they even make 12v AC units for RVs.
            Now that's what I'm taking about. I have plenty of luxurious ideas floating around, details will follow later as they are decide on.

Comment

Cool trailer ;).How about some wider wheels?.

Comment

at the rate that you work, that thing willbe a 45 foot diesel pusher by summer!!
                67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

I'm sure SWMBO can't Waite to go camping in that ;D
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Whatever you do...

... keep that carpeting. It makes the trailer.
                    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                      Originally posted by milkovich
                      Whatever you do...

... keep that carpeting. It makes the trailer.
                      uh huh. It makes the trailer... safe from ever having a female of the species in it.

:P :o :-X

lol. I took the shag out of my trailer. It helped. A LOT.
                      Ok if I understand Beagle right I need to turn the shag from a noun to a verb. :P

Comment

??? :-\

It works in a custom econoline, why not a trailer?

I guess I'll never understand women.
                        Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich
                          ??? :-\

It works in a custom econoline, why not a trailer?

I guess I'll never understand women.
                          The custom Econoline came with lava lamps and a water bed. ;)
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Go all the way. Redo the floor in shag linoleum - rare and pricey but women can't get enough of it (I had to snag ME without - made an easy job difficult).

Dan

Comment

And I'll panel a wall with alternating mirror panes and wood strips :P It's a '67 so no Disco Ball ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X