No announcement yet.

Built a Hot Rod in 5 Hours! Or Meet Project Pitbull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can play with sprocket sizes. And tire sizes. Like Beagle says, keepers fly off.. Friend wanted to run more rpms on his generator and the keepers took a flying vacation..

Comment

Good call on leaving the governer with the stock flywheel. The cast flywheel explodes over a certain rpm.

I'm loving this build!

Wish we were closer. I get the feeling our kiddos would get along for some reason....

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

No doubt, my son really needs a friend his own age who likes the things he likes...He would lose his mind with that much open space to be able to ride....I'd never get him off it....

Have you priced the flywheels? good lord...they cost more than the damn engine!
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

OK bangshift fathers of young boys.... what's the proper age to put a boy on a motorized vehicle?
          Lee is still frustrated by his pedal car.
          He's doing very well on his big wheel.

He just turned 5, but his a big kid for his age at 48" tall and nearly 60 pounds.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            OK bangshift fathers of young boys.... what's the proper age to put a boy on a motorized vehicle?
            Lee is still frustrated by his pedal car.
            He's doing very well on his big wheel.

He just turned 5, but his a big kid for his age at 48" tall and nearly 60 pounds.
            To me it depends on the purpose - is this strictly for his enjoyment or do you have plans to develop the next Ricky Carmichael? IF he has the dexterity to properly control the bike then I don't think 5 is too young. However - the safety equipment can get expensive when they grow out of boots/helmets quickly. They have pretty trick little KTMs for peewees (not Peewee) nowadays.

Comment

I'm thinking a centrifical clutch go kart would be a great starting point. It won't tip over nor go fast enough to do serious harm but he'd get the idea of steering, accelerator operation, brake use, etc. He might outgrow it quickly but then you pass it along to the next Dad. If you add balance, gear changing, etc. it might be a bit overwhelming.

Grandpa Dan

Comment

Depends on you and him I guess...I would say no younger than 5...Jason got his at 9 but that's because mom pitched a fit about it when I tried to get him one earlier....A cart or a mini bike would be a great start, with a governor and a throttle stop would keep the speeds down and they can be modded as he ages until it is time to get something bigger and better.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Thanks guys - it makes a lot of sense to start on 4 wheels. I'd love to build one from scratch with the tig, good practice welding tubes, I have an old pressure washer with a 3.5hp brake and rattle, that would probably be just the small amount of power for him and good fun - for a "yard cart" we have 2 acres, so there's just enough room for him to have fun without getting too much trouble.... and we don't have a better homes and gardens aspiration for our yard, so - if he tears up some sod it's not the end of the world (the ground hogs and moles have already done enough damage)

like this?
                  6.5hp Engine, 6 in. Nylon Wheels, Live Axle, 14.8 in. Tires, Single Seat, 6 in. Drum Brake. This is The Original, Old School Vintage Go Kart of the 60s. Add the Titan Engine to complete the kit. Great Project

Last edited by milner351; January 2, 2015, 08:44 AM.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post

I'll say AFTER he masters a bicycle, no sooner.

And I'll second the cart idea. My boys have learned a lot operating theirs.....like how to push, how to check oil, how to push, how to check gas, how to push...hehehe.

And about that groundhog thing. Keep this in mind - cheap, effective, long-lasting results. Soup-can, holesaw, piece of exhaust pipe, just add pushmower and a pint of gas.

On the moles, well I have to recommend one of these.

Last edited by STINEY; January 2, 2015, 08:48 AM.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                      Depends on you and him I guess...I would say no younger than 5...Jason got his at 9 but that's because mom pitched a fit about it when I tried to get him one earlier....A cart or a mini bike would be a great start, with a governor and a throttle stop would keep the speeds down and they can be modded as he ages until it is time to get something bigger and better.
                      9 is a good age for most kids in my opinion. Some kids have great natural athletic ability and balance at a much younger age, if that's the case younger is ok. It’s my experience 5 is usually a bit young, not necessarily due to lack of ability, but more to do with the ability to listed and follow direction.

I bought a Yamaha TTR 50 when my daughter was 6, she got moving on a 2-wheeled bike and she was great on the motorcycle. My son didn't ride a 2-wheeled bike until he was 7, so he didn't get on the TTR until then. (BTW, the TTR 50 has electric start and an adjustable throttle stop)

I am a fan of motorcycles first. It’s obviously more difficult to learn, but I like that It get’s there attention quick if mistakes are made or directions are not followed. Thinking about go-cart options in the coming months, we have a great local track.
                      Last edited by mike343sharpstick; January 2, 2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

At what age is this appropriate?

Click image for larger version

Name:	10303809_10202745744738904_5924198102607839413_n.jpg?oh=90373bd033150c47d20b17aca8e017d9&oe=5525BF39&__gda__=1429011782_2d7571d7cd2af4b967c96d9c1880280a.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	996123

Comment

85 up. You're gonna die soon anyway so you might as well.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; January 2, 2015, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X