Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jurassic Jeep build

Good news, Everyone!

I've been watching for a Jeep for the past year or so. i wanted to make a Jurassic Jeep, or something close. I realized a truck is a lot more handy, so I figured a park maintenance vehicle would be cool. So I bought this one!

Well, not really. its still 1100 miles away. In Atlanta. in the hands of my friend. Crap, Im never going to get this out of his hands.

ANYWAY! Here is the victim.

Not pretty anymore. The guy I got it from bought it, and it was red. Well, he couldnt have a red truck! So he spray painted it orange. Then his wife saw it, and suddenly it turned black. Everywhere, wheels, tires, grill, lights... black. But he didnt prep very well, so it comes off. I was going to paint over it, but at this point I may try to get down to the base factory paint, and use that as a base instead of crappy spraypaint.

Interior wont need much-

The drivers seat has a split seam, so I may try repairing that, or swap in buckets and a console. But with drive in theaters nearby, a bench is nice...

Underside! BAM!

Try getting that in New York. Clean as a whistle.

Plan, in somewhat of an order-

-Tires. The fronts were replaced <1000 miles ago, so I really dont want to drop 600 on movie correct BFG's yet. The rears will get matching 31's for now, and when they wear out I'll get some 235 All-terrains.
    - New shocks, fix the exhaust, and clean the exterior. fix the radio. Normal old jeep junk.
    - H4 headlight upgrade.
    - I have no idea how these foglights will work, but theyre staying for now. i may get a set of the jeep replica lamps for the front as well, and movie-style ambers on the rear mounted below the taillights.
    - PA system under the hood for some dino roars. or a Trex horn.
    - Knaack 28 tool boxes mounted over the wheelwells on the rear (similar to the jeep being chased by the Trex). one will be for tools, and props. The other I want to insulate and turn into a cooler.

I also have a CB antenna for it, so it may get a CB. Color scheme will be the wrangler style, with some changes for th body shape. Numbers on the rear 1/4 panel, and an INGEN logo on the tailgate, and the JEEP on the hood/tailgate in red.

Current total:
    Jeep: 1000.00
    PayPal feels: 39.10

Total: 1039.10
    Local person
    sigpic

I'd rather the Jeep from Tremors - but that should be cool during and after its done. Hopefully, being a NY car, it isn't too rusty
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Dinosaur Maintenance vehicle......love it. My boys can't wait to follow along with this one, they love the Jurassic movies.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Cool truck I always liked those. I wonder if 100% purple power and a pressure washer and you could blast that spray paint off!
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

I bet the vast majority would come off with a good pressure washer. I have had good success removing spray-bomb jobs from glitter coat buggy bodies.

Comment

Pressure wash it is! If not, lots of elbow grease.
            Local person
            sigpic

Comment

Little update-

Truck got some company over the week.

Also looking into tires- the fronts are OHSTU tires. Never heard of them. Rears will cost me 250. For a set of OE size goodyears, Im looking at 300, minus whatever I sell the new front 31" tires for. What do you guys think? im leaning towards a brand Ive heard of. Rears are bald, so once the tires show up my buddy will put on some miles. Next decision: What license plate?

Also random and ahead of myself, but round fogs, or square?

Local person
              sigpic

Comment

Aircraft landing lights! Goes a LONG ways!
                I use one on the flatbed behind the grille and another in the spotlight on the chevy 4X4..
                On the flatbed, can see half mile away..

Comment

LEDs - cheap, take very little power, and are brighter then anything else.
                  example

always get the flood lights - the driving lights or spotlights are not terribly useful.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    LEDs - cheap, take very little power, and are brighter then anything else.
                    example
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3811376...chn=ps&lpid=82

always get the flood lights - the driving lights or spotlights are not terribly useful.
                    I may look into some LED's behind the grill. outside, Im trying to keep this period correct. Strange, since I was only 3 in the period I am going for. Check on the flood lights!

Friends done a few things to it the past couple weeks. The lights all work now, had a few fuses out. Still no radio. He painted over the stupid star, removed all the stickers, and polished up the lights and emblem. Also found that the guy didnt even take off the factory striping! Ordering some tires this week, and putting it on the road. Debating on the plate- JP 25, JRASCPRK, or C1VRGRL(if i be an ass and steal his plate) are all possibilities.

Any advice on getting those decals off after 27 years? I think im going to attempt to paint this myself (woo spraycans)
                    Last edited by RustyRodder; August 23, 2015, 02:57 PM.
                    Local person
                    sigpic

Comment

Razor scraper and a heat gun and lots of patience.

Comment

period-correct is great until you can't see

Comment

get one of those decal removing wheels. I think 3M makes them. attach it to a power drill and it eats the stickers right off. the mechanic at work uses them when he replaces the decals on our cars when they replace the 10 year old faded ones on some of our older cars... make them look "new" again
                          Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

SBG- I've already got a set of Hella H4's and upgraded wiring harness on order to replace the headlights. They suck on this era Jeep!

Originally posted by Shelty View Post
                            get one of those decal removing wheels. I think 3M makes them. attach it to a power drill and it eats the stickers right off. the mechanic at work uses them when he replaces the decals on our cars when they replace the 10 year old faded ones on some of our older cars... make them look "new" again
                            Thats what I am told- I will try one! Im curious if it will still work since they were spraypainted over.
                            Local person
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
                              SBG- I've already got a set of Hella H4's and upgraded wiring harness on order to replace the headlights. They suck on this era Jeep!

Thats what I am told- I will try one! Im curious if it will still work since they were spraypainted over.
                              only one way to find out.... the way you describe the paint job is that its shit.....so it may get through the paint with little issue. the only other thing I can think of is paint stripper..... would cause them to wrinkle up in no time.... you want to paint the truck anyway right? it amazes me what stupid things people do sometimes...
                              Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Working...
                              X