big block vette for under $5K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big block vette for under $5K

ok, heres my entry-i still have it, its my only car and i drive it everyday-rain or shine, near or far.

original purchase price $500.00, not running.
    get running by reinstalling distributor in newly rebuilt L82---$FREE
    several years of driving as is later...

some military kid follows me into gas station and NEEDS correct L82 for his vette- + $3000
    comes back and buys glass tops, gives me his regular tops as part trade- +$1000
    comes back again and gives me centelines with tires as part trade for my factory alloy wheels - +$500
    trade centerlines for rallys 15x4 with 205/70 fronts and 15x8 with 275/60 rears- +$500
    sell factory power steering setup + $300

i am now up $4800 from original purchase price, and i have the car with clean title and no motor/trans...
    buy manual steering setup from 68 vette-ebay. $97.00
    buy 454 core engine $250
    machine block & +.030 pistons $390.00
    master overhaul kit from amazon-rings, rod & mains, HV oilpump, gasket set, etc...$300.00
    isky cam and lifters, cheetah geardrive-ebay. $200.00
    2400 stall-amazon. $149.00
    intake-amazon $119.00
    carb-amazon $227.00
    headers-amazon. $189.00
    energy motor mounts and trans mount-amazon $98.00
    desert cooler 4 core radiator-checkers auto $299.00
    TCI manual valvebody $185.00
    TCI trans master overhaul kit $199.00
    kilduff shifter $289.00
    miscellanious nuts, bolts, gaskets, fluids, silicone, metal pieces, spraypaint, etc...$1000.00

that brings me to $3991.00...lets tack on another $1000.00 just in case- even though the car had new 2.5 exhaust already and such- for
    things like custom plates, brakes, fanbelts,hoses, etc...

thats still $4991.00..........

i did everything myself here in garage with wife & kids. this car has an isky 292/.595/108 and is rowday as f*ck, fast as hell, and daily driven.

here 'tizz...

nicely done
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      nicely done

thanks, brother. i was so disappointed when i read ALL 111 pages of your vette build only to find
      that you sold it on page 111.................

from now on im reading the last page first, hah hah...

Comment

I build em, I sell em, I build something more elaborate.

Comment

I build em, I sell em, I build something more elaborate.

no, no, no.... its supposed to be
          "i build em, keep the awesome ones and buy something else to build and sell"...
          sheesh, what kinda self respecting car nut are you anyway? hah hah...

Comment

we just keep collecting... nicely played sir...
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I was doing good with my bird until I decided to build an engine that would actually haul ass, good luck with that one.......
              Last edited by G-Motive; October 17, 2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

no, no, no.... its supposed to be
                "i build em, keep the awesome ones and buy something else to build and sell"...
                sheesh, what kinda self respecting car nut are you anyway? hah hah...

one with a wife that he'd like to keep

Comment

Very Nice-love the lightening rods!
                  HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                  DW- 12,16,17
                  "Stay thirsty my friends"
                  The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Originally posted by RAIV70Judge View Post
                    Very Nice-love the lightening rods!

thanks, wife made the balls for it. its actually a "kilduff" shifter, check him out at kilduffmachine.com,
                    he make s several different kinds.......
                    it weighs like 10lBS, and is so overbuilt and beefy it should be in a freaking bulldozer. made the previous B&M
                    prostick feel like a cheap flimsy piece of stamped offshore crap....wait, it WAS a cheap flimsy piece
                    of stamped offshore crap!

as long as i can get kilduff shifters i will never buy another hurst, B&M, TCI, winters, etc....
                    the product is AWESOME, the guy who makes em is a nutcase and he totally rocks.
                    great service, etc...i highly recommend them.

Comment

one with a wife that he'd like to keep

"in sickness and in health".....car crackhead syndrome is definately a sickness. if she said the vows,
                      she should stand by em, hah hah....

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

thanks, wife made the balls for it. its actually a "kilduff" shifter, check him out at kilduffmachine.com,
                        he make s several different kinds.......
                        it weighs like 10lBS, and is so overbuilt and beefy it should be in a freaking bulldozer. made the previous B&M
                        prostick feel like a cheap flimsy piece of stamped offshore crap....wait, it WAS a cheap flimsy piece
                        of stamped offshore crap!

as long as i can get kilduff shifters i will never buy another hurst, B&M, TCI, winters, etc....
                        the product is AWESOME, the guy who makes em is a nutcase and he totally rocks.
                        great service, etc...i highly recommend them.
                        Milner351 has a Kilduff shifter in the 62 Falcon also in the 5K challenge build thread-Very nice shifter.
                        HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                        DW- 12,16,17
                        "Stay thirsty my friends"
                        The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Originally posted by RAIV70Judge View Post

Milner351 has a Kilduff shifter in the 62 Falcon also in the 5K challenge build thread-Very nice shifter.
                          As does Randall on his Firebird...

Comment

Originally posted by G-Motive View Post
                            I was doing good with my bird until I decided to build an engine that would actually haul ass, good luck with that one.......

are you staying with a pontiac engine? they are expensive...i did a 455 in my 66 GTO
                            and i coulda done 3 smallblock chevys for what it ended up costing- but BOY did
                            it haul the mail.

stay away from the old style long duration with wide LC to compensate cams, the 455
                            i did LOVED the 292/.595/108 isky megahydraulic, .made WAY better power
                            and 1000% better driveability than the ram air III 304/.470/114......

and its a big motor, needs big headers big exhaust big carb and good intake.
                            my combo was 800 edelbrock, RPM intake, isky cam above, roller top end,
                            D-port heads, 2" headman huslers, full 3" exhaust with fromasters, a 2400-2600
                            stall, 10-1 compression and 3.73 gear.

it ran a best of 12.47@117 ( when we had a track ) in full street trim ( 275/60 BFG radial t/a's
                            with 28psi in em and full exhaust, mufflers, the whole 9 yards.) and was a daily driver.

not bad for a sigle carb, hydraulic cam, automatic, and mellow enough that my mother
                            could drive it to the grocery store.

Comment

had to pull passengers side halfshaft to replace ujoints again...
                              what a PAIN in the ar$e...spicer ujoints were $30 EACH !!!
                              took me hours, pounding them in&out with a couple of sockets
                              and a BFH...

im SERIOUSLY considering doing a semi-back half (minimal narrowing)
                              on this car and going with a dana 60.

of course, thats going to push me WAY over the $5000 limit...

so either i make the car all kinds of awesomeness and eliminate
                              that pesky and troublesome independent rear, and lose my killer
                              under $5k status in the process, or i live with the pesky and
                              troublesome IRS and remain gloriously cheap and tawdry.

but first i need that M22 brother micks got stashed in his closet....

ahh, decisions, decisions...
                              Last edited by fatguyzinc; May 2, 2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X