Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

small block vette-shooting for under $3500 total...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small block vette-shooting for under $3500 total...

ok, if the previous big block vette for $5k dont impress you, we are shooting for
    less than $3500 total on this one. its a 79, almost perfect shape with title for $750.
    no motor / trans or tires, but i can fix dat...

plans are to do a grumpy 350 ( around 350-375hp ), already have a 70 camaro 350
    with 10-1 flat tops, new rods & mains-- just need a cam & geardrive...

a 2400 stall and bang-screech shift kit will do for that extra TH350 on the side
    of the house, pulled from same running 70 camaro...( it got hit so hard in passenger
    door it blew out every piece of glass in the car and rocker sill almost touched driveshaft...)

the vette already came with sbc headers and new 2.5 fromaster exhaust installed, and was driving when it came in.
    ( the guy just wanted the L82 and T10 trans back....uh, ok. no problem. )
    the body is really nice-8.5 on a scale of 1 to 10, and the interior is almost perfect-i give it a 9...

we have a spare set of 15x6 and 15x8 centerlines under the couch, just need tires-
    paz says 235/60 fronts and 275/60 rears should be perfect for her new ride.
    brother micks got an rpm intake for her he says she can have for free.
    need to buy a 600 edelbrock carb and not much else...

i will post updates with what we spent as they happen, again-we are hoping to get it driving and legal
    for less than $3500 total.

nice, there must not be much love for the greenhouse Corvettes in Hawaii $2500 buys you a basket-case shell here.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 16, 2015, 06:30 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I read this around 4:00...... Passed out when I hit the $750 thing......just came to again.

That is the kind of bargain I need to find! Cool project.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        I read this around 4:00...... Passed out when I hit the $750 thing......just came to again.

That is the kind of bargain I need to find! Cool project.

the white one in the other post was $500, and had a newly rebuilt L82 that wasnt running--but that was 20+ years ago...

seems that if it isnt a c2 or a chrome bumper 68-73, the vette guys think its worthless-
        and nobody wants em. i personally LOVE the rubby bumpy vettes, especially when
        they are dirt cheap.
        Last edited by fatguyzinc; October 17, 2015, 03:10 AM.

Comment

ok, just picked up a '72 2 bolt main 350 with 10-1 forged pistons and brand new bearings/rings
          from brother bobby for a trade of a few rims, a BBC main girdle, and a straight axle..
          and a buttload of 'big kings' from burger king. he also tossed in a N.O.S. holley
          street dominator intake.

thanks bobby !

now i gotta order up the cam ( looking at the 280/.495/106 isky megahydro )
          and geardrive, hi volume oilpump and pickup, steel pump driveshaft,
          timing cover and pan. and then its on the hunt for heads...

i seriously think we can hit the $3500 or less goal. we shall see !

Comment

Gear drive and hi volume oil pump can kill your budget..
            In derby use, hi volume pumps will empty your pan... Thus sucking air..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Gear drive and hi volume oil pump can kill your budget..
              In derby use, hi volume pumps will empty your pan... Thus sucking air..

luckily, its a smallblock chevy. the most used, common and popular motor
              in the entire universe. heck, even here in hawaii you can practically get parts
              for em at a liquor store...

heres the geardrive, brand new from amazon under $100

and the HV pump also new from amazon for $58.00

money well spent if you ask me.

im not too worried about sucking the pan dry in a demolition derby--i probably wouldnt enter a car
              with a fiberglass body in one to start with, hah hah .....

Comment

ok, so i am just about ready to order the cam--i got it narrowed between 2 choices.
                both are hydraulic flat tappets.

#1-- 270/.465/108

#2-- 280/.498/106

of course, my brain says do the smaller 270 for daily driveability--although i drive
                the white vette with the 454 daily, and its got a 292/.595/108.......

my p*nis, however, is telling me to do the 280...go big or go home, right?
                hah hah. i KNOW i "should" do the smaller one. so give me some good advice
                to make me listen to my brain instead of my c*ck....

Comment

What are the numbers at .050? if it's a legit 10:1, it may be fussy with the 270 and a bad tank of gas.

edit - I wasn't paying attention. It doesn't look like you've picked out heads yet. I'd pick them first!
                  Last edited by Beagle; November 1, 2015, 02:01 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

270 is 221 degrees @.050, and the 280 is 232 degrees @.050..
                    the pistons are actually 10.75 replacement flat tops.
                    so should be 9.75 minimum to 11-1 depending on chamber cc..

.im most likely going to use either the summit 2.02 heads,
                    or the world 1.94 heads.

again, i know i SHOULD use the
                    smaller 270 cam--but oh that 280 makes
                    my peepee go "sha-boing, boing, BOING" !!!!

Comment

put my old 15x4 / 15x8 rallys from the white 454 vette onto the silver one this week.
                      spent $450.25 putting the new tires on the 15x5.5 centers
                      and 15x9 progressives on the white vette, so the old rims/tires
                      made their way onto this one.maybe its silver car/silver rims, but it looks killer.
                      thats a 205-70 front and a 275-60 rear on this silver vette, too.

those are plastic repop "shorty" center caps, the stockers stick out too far
                      on the 4" front rim with 2" backspace. paz found the 1.5 wide trim ring
                      at work ( orielly auto ) and the rears are stock vette trim rings on stock 8" rims.

we are still collecting parts for the motor, just scored a
                      comp cams XE268H cam/lifters/springs/keepers for $100 all new in box,
                      ( its a split 268/280/.477/.480/110 grind-not exactly what i wanted, but
                      couldnt beat the price--and its close enough ! )
                      and got the geardrive in the mail monday.

gonna start assembling the rest
                      of the motor this weekend. still need to find a 2000-2400 stall...
                      and HEADS.
                      supposed to look at some 2.02 summit heads on saturday for $500...

so far, parts accumilated & plans call for right around 275-300 rear wheel hp
                      and 340-360+ft/lbs-- with the 2000-2400 stall and 3.36 gear and 3400lb
                      curb weight it should be a FUN little ride for mama !

Last edited by fatguyzinc; April 8, 2016, 02:07 AM.

Comment

YES !!!!!!!!!!! bought the summit 2.02/72cc heads today, new in box $500.
                        that should net an honest 10-1 compression ratio with the current pistons
                        and the 'normal' .040 headgaskets...

we are now well on our way. just gotta get a stall converter, a carb, bolts
                        for heads, rockers, assemble the motor, convert the car to auto trans...

hmmm.... that still seems like a lot of work, hah hah.
                        oh well if it was easy everyone would have one, right?
                        Last edited by fatguyzinc; April 9, 2016, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I don't think you will have 10:1 compression with those heads on a stock 350. The mid '70's 350's had dished pistons that were often .030" down in the holes. That's why you can 50* of advance timing without it knocking and pinging.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

TRW used to sell pop-up pistons that cured all the woes of those heads.

My friend with the 10.90 '70 Camaro is running that setup. Full street car, no lightening, etc. They can work if all the pieces play nice with each other.
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Even with 9:1 compression, with the cam he got and decent heads, it will be a fun driver.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X