98 Tahoe - low buck truck build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Tahoe - low buck truck build

I picked this up for $500 bucks. The whole front end was gone through last yet. It also has new front and rear brakes. The truck runs and drives pretty good. The front tires rub on the front bumper and the inner fender well during sharp turns. I'm going to trim the front bumper up and smack the fender up a little bit. I like the big tire, no lift look.

This is the only dent on the truck, I'll pop it out the best I can and that will be that... lol

While the paint isn't the best, the body is in good shape.

This is my boy, he was helping me change out the brake switch. He loves helping me out.

While replacing the brake switch, I noticed the harness needed repaired. Fixed it up, all better now.

My cousin was helping me clean up my property. He hooked onto a big piece of steel to pull it up to the trailer, chain broke and broke the rear windows. The windows were tinted so it held the glass together. He covered it with tape and it's been that way for about 6 months. I plan on replacing the windows. lol Notice the brake lights work now.

Truck: $500

Brake light switch: $10

Brake light harness repair: Freebie

Dash light repair: Free = Fuse

Last edited by projectcarforum; May 21, 2016, 09:58 AM.
    87 Mustang GT with bolt on's. Follow my build here:
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...d-Budget-Build

I like the looks of the truck with the big tires and no lift. Looks like you going to need some work on the rear windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
      I like the looks of the truck with the big tires and no lift. Looks like you going to need some work on the rear windows.
      Yes he was pulling something with a chain and the chain broke, along with the two back windows. Lol

Comment

what do you want to do with it when you're done? bogs? trails? overland camping? Honestly 33" AT tires are pretty much worthless for everything but sand. Worst, it really wears the snot out of the front bushings and tie-rod ends. Those already have an issue with the idler arm - 33s just make you buy them in bulk (fortunately, they're pretty inexpensive)

In all honestly, I'd find a solid axle to swap into place. Ford dana 44 axle with GM outers would be a really simple, inexpensive and great upgrade. Be super cheap and use leaf springs... a bit of shopping and it'd cost less than a round of bushings and TREs.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I sold my truck and just needed a cheap daily driver/work vehicle. I live a mile from work, so it won't get a ton of miles put on it. I just needed something that could pull a trailer. I have a piece of property so I haul my lawn equipment out there once a week or so (and it's only about about 5 miles out of town.)

I'll probably use it a few times a year to go camping. I probably won't off road it a whole lot, but there is a nice off road park about 20 mind away that we go to about once or twice a year to ride quads and camp, and usually well do a little wheelin while we're there.

Comment

then check all the bendy-bits for wear. For longevity, that high offset, oversized tire is going to kill the unitized bearings... but that's a cost many of us pay, just we know about it and keep spares (like the idler) around for when it breaks.... you can save big bucks buying that stuff online and keep it on your shelf.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I bought another set of wheels with really good 285/75/16's on them for $100 bucks. I don't like the way the sit at all. I'll run them long enough to find a decent set of 33x12.50x15s and clean up the original wheels.

Last edited by projectcarforum; May 21, 2016, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X