Megan the Jaguar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megan the Jaguar

So, it's not really a hot rod project, it's just a little something for the daughter to drive until she gets a little more experience. I paid $500 off Craigslist for it. The guy parked it because he thought the brakes were bad (they aren't) and he wanted something to hotbox in. Plans are to clean it up and get the paint up to snuff and generally go through it to make sure it's safe. It smells like a grow house so I guess I'll be researching on the internet to find out what really kills smells, of course with kids nowadays that might give her some street cred. Who knows? Anyway, a little info on the car: 2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5. They're all-wheel drive and are built on essentially the same platform as the Ford Mondeo (that's Ford Contour, Mercury Mystique, and '99 up Mercury Cougar) the V-6 isn't a real powerhouse, but 190ish HP is plenty for a young driver. I suck as a painter/bodyman, so this is going to be a learning experience for me too. Feel free to chime in about the painting, I'm thinking maybe buying a quart of paint, wet sanding it down, primering it, and just reshooting the top (hood, trunk, and roof). Seems like that may be easier than trying to spot paint here and there, but what do I know?

awd in Las Vegas? still, neat car

scuff the top, have Maaco paint just the top.

spray fabric softener knocks down the smell, but if you want to end it (or it's just too much) ozone generator once every couple weeks for 3 or so months (or until the smell stays away).
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

SBG: I don't know much about ozone generators, or their intended use, but I do know that electric motors create ozone, and that anything in close proximity to them made of rubber deteriorates quickly.......

hauen: I would do a pretty thorough disassembly of that car, if the PO stashed anything, you want it gone NOW, not to be found by LEO's while your daughter is driving it several months from now

Comment

Originally posted by Tubbed Pacecar View Post
        ... if the PO stashed anything, you want it ,...
        Which you could use to subsidize the repaint

Comment

Hmmm.ozone generators.
          Used to purify or kill germs in hot tubs...
          I've got Grandpa's. Rows of tubes withred/blue light. Touch the tubes, thy buzz. He had part of onelung left and would nap in a room with it running. Box it was shipped in is 1950's postmarked

Comment

Thanks for the advice, will have to see what the cut rate painters charge, I'm sure I can find a color they have that will match close enough to metallic dirt brown (technically Topaz Metallic in Jaguar-speak).

So I did a little better assesment of what it's going to need and hit the wrecking yard for some parts, specifically a passenger front regulator and a driver's seat motor assembly, I also picked up a grille since the original has a crack in it, it's small, but once you see it, you can't unsee it. Pulled the passenger front panel apart and was greeted with broken bits of plastic and fasteners firmly affixed to the door. Seems they've been in here before and "fixed" the broken regulator. Luckily it was just two sheet metal screws and a piece of MDF, new one went in without a hitch and works a treat. Didn't even have to resynch the motor like some automatic windows do.
            broken window regulator and "fix"
            I'll solvent weld the plastic bits together and see if it holds up, if not I'll buy some polymorph and remake the panel rivet holders, then it's onto changing out the seat track assembly.

Let's see what we're into this thing for...

Car: $500
            Battery: $135 (costs a little more to go first class I guess)
            DMV paperwork: $32
            Tail light: $19 (The right one had a crack, drives me nuts!)
            Motor and seat track assembly: $30
            Passenger side window regulator: $15
            Grille: $15
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
            Total so far: $746

Comment

Originally posted by hauen View Post
              It smells like a grow house so I guess I'll be researching on the internet to find out what really kills smells...

50/50 mix cold water/white vinegar. spray EVERYWHERE even into the dash vents
              for the a/c with it running WFO on recircuilate. then leave an open bowl of 100% white
              vinegar on the floorboard ovewrnight to absorb the rest.you may need to do it 2-3 times,
              but it works. the car will smell like a jar of kimchee for a bit but who cares, right?

that got HORRIBLE b.o. / sweat smell out of an old work truck my buddy bought--guess
              8 hours of sweating then riding home with the a/c on full blast isnt conductive to pleasant
              "new car" smell..............

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Glued 1.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	1,000.7 KB
ID:	1242751Click image for larger version

Name:	Glued 2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	973.1 KB
ID:	1242752
                My wife makes kombucha, and kimchee, so that's not a problem.
                So the solvent welding stuff works pretty well, not sure how well it shows up in the pics, but I put the pieces together, dabbed on a crapload of it and let it set overnight. Put the panel on, and it's still on and no rattly noises, so I'm going to call that a success.

Seat track is replaced and working, just for fun I made a little video overview with my trusty iPad, nothing fancy so don't expect Lawrence of Arabia or anything...

Last edited by hauen; May 12, 2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubbed Pacecar View Post
                  SBG: I don't know much about ozone generators, or their intended use, but I do know that electric motors create ozone, and that anything in close proximity to them made of rubber deteriorates quickly.......

you don't know but it's wrong.... got it....

ozone generators are what your typical, used-car salesman uses to get mouse, smoke, and other offensive odors out of a car. I have one, it works great.... guy who bought my suburban still hasn't complained about the mouse smell... bonus is it will kill whatever is inside the closed vehicle when you run it. Trick is to have the car running with the defrost system on high while you're doing it. 15 minutes, it smells like ozone rather then mouse pee. If it's a really heavy smell, it takes 2 or 3 times over the course of a once-every-3-week application. I first used it to get the smoke smell out of an S10 I owned. Worked great, sold it to a smoker ...

does nothing to rubber.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 12, 2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Quick google looky got many mold/smoke ozone generators for sale.

Only other use I knew of was hot tubs and do not see that useage.
                    Styeve was telling me they were dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      Quick google looky got many mold/smoke ozone generators for sale.

Only other use I knew of was hot tubs and do not see that useage.
                      Styeve was telling me they were dangerous.
                      this
                      https://www.amazon.com/Enerzen-Comme...=fsclp_pl_dp_2

$70 at Amazon... priceless for getting smells out (and killing rodents inside ducts) it works when fabric softener fails....
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 13, 2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I'm definitely getting one, after I'm done I'll put it in the kombucha room.

Comment

So the bumper was annoying me, I'd have probably just left it if the dent in it were any smaller, but it just kept bugging me. So off to the wrecking yard I go. I found a nice one for 49.50, brought it home and shot it with some matched dirt metallic and a can of 2K clear. At first I tried just regular rattle-can clear, and boy did it look terrible. The 2K gives a much nicer finish, so instead of being terrible it's just bad.

Total so far:

$746 thus far
                          $50--bumper
                          $10--primer
                          $28--topaz metallic spray-paint
                          $24--2K clear (hey, costs a little more to go first class)

No pics of refinishing the bumper, I figure you all know how to do it, and probably better than I can, and if not you can find all the info on youtube or some such. I still haven't decided if I'm going to tackle more of the paint or not. Logic says have someone else do it who can do a better job for cheaper, but you can never get better at things if you don't practice and make mistakes...so I don't know.

Oh yeah, pics!

old bumper

"new" bumper

If you really care, a quickie youtube video showing the old and new bumpers in some of their glory. https://youtu.be/eqnp8Hdr5Fo
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks good in the pictures!
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X