Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEARHED73
    replied
    At this point it needed to be in the garage. So I rented a 5X10 storage unit and moved all of our karting stuff in. That gave me the ability to keep it out of sight while we play in the engine bay. I try to keep everything low key as possible with my neighbors..it can be tricky at times.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    very cool, keep us updated as your build

Leave a comment:

• GEARHED73
    replied
    After the exhaust and manual steering we installed I started planning my top end. I did a compression check and had low 140's in all the holes, the oil pressure was high enough not to trip the dummy light so i decided to leave the short block alone. I score a set of fresh 302 casting cylinder heads from a diplomat in the junkyard. I purchased a comp xe262 cam and new timing chain to top it off. The performer intake was cleaned up and I put a Holley carb that was on my shelf. I did some very basic port pork on the heads and lapped the valves. Planning on running stock springs until after the cam is broke in. I had everything ready to go and had a free weekend, was ready to make it happen. I was all motivated, until I popped the first head off. There was a ridge big enough to catch my nail... I decided to roll with it because its just a beater. That was the plan until I started puling the cam. The cam bearings were in sad shape. That was it, not going any further. I need another short block. After searching around for a serviceable 318/360. With some digging I found a .040 318 disassembled block. Drove down to San Diego to pick this pile of parts up for $140. Spent some time cleaning and inspection, rod bearings and rings were in good condition but the rod bearings had to be replaced. I also added a new oil pump. After a quick cylinder hone job the entire
    mess was cleaned and assembled Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1303.JPG Views:	1 Size:	40.1 KB ID:	1247385Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1492.JPG Views:	1 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	1247386Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1494.JPG Views:	1 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	1247387Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1496.JPG Views:	1 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	1247388 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1144.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1247414
    Last edited by GEARHED73; July 3, 2019, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GEARHED73
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1117.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1247379Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1195.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1247380Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1247381Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1123.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1247382 ​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​One of the very first things i noticed was the massive amount of pinging under load. This early 318 has (had) a timing pointer bolted on the passenger side, it was long gone. In its place was a twisted up hose clamp. Using what was available the engine liked about 5 degrees of timing (didnt check total). Also note worthy, a heater hose ruptured as I was under the hood, lucky for me the rusty water wasnt up to temp.
    I was pretty much ready to start throwing parts at it. I found a guy out by Irwindale that had a huge stash of mopar parts.I picked up a set of headers, performer intake and a set of leaf springs from a 340 car for $200. Ive owned other A body mopars and very familiar with the joys of installing headers, especially with power steering. It took about twice as long as expected, and after they were installed i decided to swap over to a manual box to save weight and gain some clearance. I built up a 2 1/2 pipe with a crossover from ebay tubing and parts and stuck a set of the longest magnaflows i could find it. I realized very quickly that the mufflers need to be shorter, they dont tuck up very tight. So, when I get around to running everything out to the bumper I'll install shorter mufflers. Until then they are too long, low and dumped in front of the axle.
    Knowing that I wont have a major powerhouse with this low compression 318 we decided to remove all extra weight.. power steering, A/C system, entire heater box etc.. The weight of some of this stuff is staggering.

Leave a comment:

• GEARHED73
    started a topic Yard Sale Valiant

Yard Sale Valiant

FNG here, Ive been lurking for a very long time. For many years was wanting to build a budget 4 door. I had a 59 apache that I decided to let go. It was a super cool truck that I rescued from the dead, but I just wasnt really feeling it. Not really sure whats wrong with my brain, I basically sold a running/driving swb Apache and jumped on this.
    This is a 69 Valiant. I found it local to me on marketplace. It was the guys driver, had the basics up to speed... so I drove it home for $2200. Its a 318/904 with 71/4 out back. Disc brakes, fresh trans and electronic ignition. The down and dirty is I want to be deep 13's on the engine and then spray it. Ive already acquired most of the parts (just waiting on time) and im currently hovering right at 5K.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	1247360Click image for larger version  Name:	aa.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.4 KB ID:	1247361Click image for larger version  Name:	bb.jpg Views:	1 Size:	132.9 KB ID:	1247362Click image for larger version  Name:	cc.jpg Views:	1 Size:	128.1 KB ID:	1247363
    Last edited by GEARHED73; July 3, 2019, 01:21 PM.
Working...
X