No announcement yet.

Meet Tatanka, my 99 Suburban K1500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winning is still winning (even if your competitor was you)
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 24th, 2020, 11:22 PM.
    tedly likes this.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      winning is still winning (even if your competitor was you)
      I don't know if you meant it this way, but that is a fairly profound statement. I'm going to steal it.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post

I don't know if you meant it this way, but that is a fairly profound statement. I'm going to steal it.
        ouch
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

ouch
          I'll give you credit. Sometimes.

Seriously though, I got family and friends with cancer, chronic illnesses, things where they have to fight their own bodies to function and even live in some cases. Something as small as getting dishes done, taking a shower, cooking dinner... simple things can take a lot out of them and make them feel like nothing gets done. Your quip can serve as a reminder to focus on the victories. Thank you for that, really.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Drained and refilled the transfer case tonight. There's supposed to be about 2 quarts in it but maybe 1 quart came out. Black with a reddish tinge, but no metal. Since I have the automatic 4wd it's supposed to have the Auto Trak fluid in it. The electronic automatic 4wd has clutch packs that activate when it is in auto mode. In auto 4wd, it stays in RWD until the rears start to spin, then the front wheels are brought in. Dexron is used in the manual 4wd, but a friction modifier is needed for the clutch pack in the electric. Auto Track is blue, Dexron is red. So it looks like at some point someone drained and filled it, but with the wrong stuff. The auto 4wd feature is probably not working, but it never really interested me anyway, so oh well.

$30 for the replacement crank sensor earlier and $24 for 2 qts of Auto Trak, so up to $2090.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Did the front dif fluid change last night. My dumbass thought it was going to have a cover, like the rear dif. Wrong. Just a drain plug, no gasket surface to clean up. Guess I made that $5 sandblaster for nothing. Oh well, I'll find other uses for it.

The gear oil was very thick and glittery, and leaks at the axle seals meant the level was low. Nothing bigger than the fine glitter came out though, and believe me I was watching for it. Filling it involved a long, thin funnel with a wrench wedged under it to keep it at an angle down to the dif, and pouring the fluid from the fender well. Crude, but the stupid little squeeze bulb hand pump I had was completely useless. After 20 minutes it had only pumped maybe 1/8th of a bottle.

Now that both difs and the transfer case have been done, there is a noticeable reduction in noise, vibration at highway speeds, and rolling resistance. It's really cool feeling this old beast coming back to life step by step. This stuff may not be flashy, but it's increasing the comfort and day to day usefulness. I'm good with that for now.

$20 for the 2 qts of 80w90, total up to $2110.

I'm probably wrong

Comment

Yesterday I did the first drive more than 20 or 30 minutes since replacing the fluids, more than an hour 1 way. There is a BIG difference in overall comfort and driver fatigue. Less noticeable but still there is a small increase in performance, it just feels a hair livelier when I mash the gas. Pretty sure gas mileage is up slightly as well, given that I can feel the drop in resistance in the drivetrain. Keni and I may be road tripping to Kentucky in it in a couple months, and all of these changes plus a few more in the works will be greatly appreciated during a 10 hour drive. No work on it this week, had to put a battery in Keni's Subaru, so there went $160 of the overall parts budget. Plus quite a bit of overtime at work so not a whole lot of time for little stuff. Will be back at it really soon though.
                Last edited by tedly; March 11th, 2020, 09:38 PM.
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                X