Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTX-SLPR
    replied
    I've been driving the car a bit here and there and while the tires are not really coming back to round they are smoothing out some. Overall the car is ridiculously smooth running and most of the toys seem to be either functional or need to have some sort of recalibration procedure done to get the modules working within their limit switches again. Overall it's a set of tires, brake flush, and suspension flush (likely new nitrogen accumulators as well just due to age) away from being a beautifully smooth and nice car. The idea of maybe keeping it had moved off of the Definitely Not peg but its on the market with some interest. Then came the kick in the junk:
    Went to the DMV this week and after saying, "lein sale, this is a tough one", checking my paperwork and agreeing it was all there... Told me I owed $990 to get a title due to back and current registration fees.

I'm going to take the back seat apart if for no other reason that I want to see if it'll fit into the Riviera while its out and see if I can't fix the busted rear window regulator and mess with some of the other malfunctioning stuff behind it. The interested party was thankfully not scared off by the title thing but had to delay his trip due to the chaos of the COVID-19's effects on domestic travel. I hope I don't get sucked into paying for fixing more stuff only to dismantle it for parts soon after.

Leave a comment:

• RockJustRock
    replied
    Mercedes coupes are special. It's like a perfect Malibu or Monte Carlo from another universe.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I had to look it up there are a few of these engines listed for under $600 I guess it's not a high demand engine.

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied
    The car is growing on me so much, it's unbelievably smooth, quiet and so many features! The starter sound is just unbelievably cool. Lifter(s) quieted down after adding a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil.

Second drive (first drive was to get gas).
    Last edited by CTX-SLPR; February 23, 2020, 07:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied
    Got it running today. Also dude in ATL has agreed to a price since I've gotten it running. Part of me still wants to part it out so I have a V12 stashed away and the interior I was looking for in the Riviera but I can make money this way which is better than just spending it.

Has at least one noisy lifter, going to see if I can't free that up so it run quiet because it's already smoooooooth!

Leave a comment:

• RockJustRock
    replied
    They're REALLY plentiful out here.

Leave a comment:

• tedly
    replied
    Originally posted by STINEY View Post
    Make a trustworthy contact in a rust-belt state and ship all of the non-CA-conforming cars you can get your hands on there. Sell, Rinse, Repeat.
    That wouldn't last a day up here, I bet. Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago within a 2-3 hour drive? No idea what it would go for, but if it's a running Mercedes with no rust or body damage someone will snag it.

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied
    Already have someone in ATL interested in it. I'll see what he's offering.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Make a trustworthy contact in a rust-belt state and ship all of the non-CA-conforming cars you can get your hands on there. Sell, Rinse, Repeat.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Try to flip it to some fool not willing to do the research?
    Last edited by silver_bullet; February 16, 2020, 06:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied
    Won't let me multiquote but the biodegratable wiring stopped in 95/96 so this one is clean of that charge. If I kept this I'd have to sell off the Riviera and I'm far more attached to that car than this one.

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
    Gut the Mercedes wiring and computers, all of it. Add a $200 Speedway wiring kit, Megasquirt the drivetrain, forget the factory dash display and use an old iPad or such for gauges. Adapt the hvac to manual controls or toss it and add a cheapo heater defrost to it.

Then drive the tar outta it!
    If only that was CA legal... If I part it out I'll keep the engine for something and that will be smog exempt in some fashion so yeah, megasquirted V12 with a stand alone box for the trans.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Gut the Mercedes wiring and computers, all of it. Add a $200 Speedway wiring kit, Megasquirt the drivetrain, forget the factory dash display and use an old iPad or such for gauges. Adapt the hvac to manual controls or toss it and add a cheapo heater defrost to it.

Then drive the tar outta it!
    Last edited by STINEY; February 16, 2020, 11:06 AM. Reason: freaking idiotic auto correct

Leave a comment:

• tedly
    replied
    My vote is for nitrous it till it pukes, then use the interior.

Wait... what about a home made intake, Webers or dual quads, and a T56?
    Last edited by tedly; February 16, 2020, 09:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hauen
    replied
    I'd say get rid of it. It's a beautiful car, but it has the "green" wiring. That is, the sheathing is biodegradable, at some point it will start to crack and turn to dust, and when it does, game over, you'll be chasing electrical gremlins forever. I believe that's from the era where the Daimler-Chrysler merger (really a takeover) was a thing and they were starting to really cheap out on things.

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied
    Originally posted by tedly View Post
    What are DMV back fees?
    Har Har Har.... I really wish I was in TX for a lot of reasons including this. In CA the car owes fees for being even in the state. Move here and they ask you day it entered and you pay a pro-rated amount back to that date. Off the road without registration, either active or "planned non-operation" and it stacks up. Since this is a lien sale title, due to being on the property, it's a max of 3yrs of back fees or $781.

I really don't think I have the patience or desire to keep up with proper maintenance on what still is a $136K original sticker price car. It'll either become a parts donor for the Riv or head off to someone else. It's coming back to life slowly, tomorrow will be draining the fuel tank and lines at the fuel filter then an oil change before I try firing her up!
    Last edited by CTX-SLPR; February 15, 2020, 08:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X