Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR
    replied
    I welded a stub to the shifter cover plate that will serve as a mounting point for cup holders or a phone holder or whatever I want. The stock 5 speed shifter boot will finish it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220315_203616_444.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	1316062 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220315_203616_489.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	1316063

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    It is. The jury is still out on the shifter I will save judgement until after it is connected to the trans. It doesn't see as crisp as my B&M's and the shift plate needed some dressing and lubrication to let the selector slide smoothly. It comes with a bunch of shift plates and it was kinda hard to figure out which one was the 3 speed forward pattern plate. I have a spare B&M plate and am kinda curious if it will fit.

This particular model is hard to find. This one came from AT Racing. PCE220.1003
    Last edited by BBR; March 15, 2022, 05:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    By the way - is that the speedmaster shifter? what are your thoughts on that? Thinking about a new shifter for the 70 fastback that works well and doesn't look too "gimicky"

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    BELIEVE me, I have considered it on more than one occasion, but I know I would just feel like I sold myself short.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    James your sticktuitiveness is impressive, down right admirable. I'd have thrown a carb on this thing and been done - but you're taking your time and making it work with the factory computer no less. And, making it look easy. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• gconnsr
    replied
    The gratification of when it fires is going to be far greater than your average "It Lives"

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Archiving efi settings that I have changed thus far.
    • Global Fuel K-Constant – to 30
    • AHISL – injector high slope to 30
    • FN1329 - injector firing order (15426378)
    • DISPL_LITERS - engine displacement to 7.5
    • PATS_DISABLE (SW_ANTI_THEFT) set to ON
    • FADPT_SW - Allow Adaptive Fuel – OFF (set for basic tuning)
    • SARCHG CID Engine Size to 460
    • Mass Airflow Transfer – Multiplied lb/min column by 1.58 (19lb inj to 30lb inj) (tried using Pro M values below but they were getting changed upon save - I think it was a lb/hr vs kg/hr problem)
    • TSTRAT to 0 for no transmission control

EDIT: MAF transfer problem was because I was trying to input a lb/hr value instead of a lb/min value.
    Last edited by BBR; March 14, 2022, 03:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Aftermarket efi is fairly easy and user friendly. OEM efi is pretty dang complicated. There is a lot going on and it is difficult to determine what affects what in the tune. I am slowly getting a grasp on what I need to change for the larger displacement.

Leave a comment:

• gconnsr
    replied
    I guess the fuel injection will be worth it but you're speaking french to me right now. Once in a while it pays to have friends,

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I cut out a plate to cover the original shifter hole and finished most of the trans controller wiring. Thisplate will serve as a solid foundation for the cup holders.

Name:	IMG_20220311_191946_573.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	703.5 KB
ID:	1315847

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I had to crawl under the dash yesterday to connect the neutral safety switch from the trans to the clutch pedal position switch. This car has a power driver's seat so I could not get to the bolts to remove it. I had to do everything with one hand because I couldn't get both arms up under there. Sooooooo dang hard, but it's done. lol.

I also discovered some good news about the PATS system. The particular EEC-V strategy that I have has a flag known as PATS_DISABLE (SW_ANTI_THEFT) that will allow me to turn PATS off. So I can now go back to my original plan and write a start-up tune to my chip without extracting my stock tune and proceed.
    Last edited by BBR; March 9, 2022, 08:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I mounted the shifter last night. I think I might try to make a cup holder where the stock shifter is supposed to be.

Name:	IMG_20220307_212821_751.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	1315635

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    PATS - Passive Anti-Theft System

I almost goofed. I didn't even think about PATS being an issue. My original plan was to create a tune, throw it on the F3 chip, and vroom, vroom. That would be great if I had a EEC-IV, but the PATS feature of the EEC-Vcomplicates this a little. I can't just grab a tune and go. I have to suck out the stock tune and use it as my basis for modification because it contains the PATS code, otherwise it won't ever work. This means I need some hardware like a Moates Quarterhorse. Great, another $250. Haha.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    The EEC forum does not seem to be as helpful as I would have liked, so I guess I just need to dive in and figure out what needs to be scaled or modified for the larger engine and injectors.

Some of the things I *think* need to be addressed are:
    TSTRAT to 0 for no transmission control
    DISPL_LITERS to 7.5
    FN1329 - Injector firing order to 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
    Global Fuel K-constant to 30
    AHISL to 30.0

I have the tune saved off the Mass-Flow A9L EEC-IV, I believe I will be able to reference it a bit to get this EEC-V calibrated close enough to fire up and run.

This will take a bit of learning, but I'm game. I could pay someone to develop a startup tune, but if you know anything about me it's that I like to do it myself.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I slipped the fan in to show how close it all is when everything is in place. That fan is huge.

Name:	20220218_164658.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1314463

Leave a comment:

Working...
X