Resurrection of the Red Turd, Bob's '86 SVO Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurrection of the Red Turd, Bob's '86 SVO Mustang

Well, with the happenings with the Hoser my Canadian export SVO (http://bangshift.com/forum/showthrea...rt-Mustang-SVO), I think I'll start the resurrection of the Red Turd, 1986 Mustang SVO. Body shell is absolutely straight, already has full frame connectors. I've got a spare engine and transmission that I can finish rebuilding and stuff in it. I think I could have something pretty nice within 60 days or so. But...it'll be RED!! ugh. LOL

Its been sleeping in the White Trash Ranch boneyard for about 4 years, as I've slowly picked its bones for stuff to put on the Hoser. I guess turnabout is fair play.

The plan will be to pull it out of the boneyard, finish stripping it done, do a quick once over block and sand and have it spayed at some cheapo, step back and blow, paint shop. Can you say Earl? I could do the rustoleum roller job, but the environment is just too dirty out here at the ranch. Lovely Donna harrows the horse arena twice a day which throws sand in the air that floats over everything. Yuck.

I'll finish the engine rebuild that was set for the Hoser, rebuild the tranny that had an, ummm, shall we say brain fart moment when it was installed into the racecar without a front thrust bearing. (yeah, stupid, but oh well).

From a suspension standpoint, I've got a couple of extra axles floating around. I"ll install a torque arm (money and time willing), and also rebuild the front lower control arms.

Big decision point is whether or not to make it a two seater and drop in a welded roll hoop with drops crossed to the rear shock towers. These cars are such wet noodles when it comes to unibody rigidity.

Anyhow, I'll get some pics up and we'll get this party started...when the back and neck are healed up enough.
    I'm still learning

Red is awesome. Looking forward to this.
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

pics :D
      Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Went outside to take some pictures. Man that body is in great shape, if the paint wasn't dead I'd get the buffer out and see what I could do. But then it'd still be RED.

I've got to get to a computer that is compatible with the camera, then I'll get some pics up.

I'd prefer a metallic graphite or silver, but that's more than I want to spend. Talked to Maaco and they want about $3,000 to shoot that. Sticking with a single stage enamel is $600 to $800. Maybe if I just go to a burgundy metallic. I need to walk a few new car lots and get an idea of what I want it to look like. I always stick with OEM colors in hopes that when any road rash or dings need fixing that I can find a paint match.

I could do like I did with the racecar, build a tent in the garage, lean back and shoot the paint on. But what a pain in the ass.
        I'm still learning

Comment

Comet wash it? It's a BangShift approved method.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Excellent point, I have two cans of Comet that I bought to use on my son's Ranger. So I'm good to go there. I might just forgo the paint and put the money in some other part of the build.
            Last edited by Bob Holmes; July 12, 2011, 04:28 PM.
            I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
              Maybe if I just go to a burgundy metallic.
              Saw this on ebay for a quick visual

Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Looking forward to this. So can you get the parts off the hoser before they take it?

And what exactly does the comet wash do? Never heard of it.
                Jeff
                Follow My Build

Comment

Originally posted by 1trickpony View Post
                  Looking forward to this. So can you get the parts off the hoser before they take it?

And what exactly does the comet wash do? Never heard of it.

Like wet sanding...comet is very fine abrasive, add it to the wet sponge and wash. works on old enamels and such...cant imagine it doing a whole hell of a lot of good on a base clear paint job....did it to a Camaro my old boss got to turn for profit...I detailed his cars for him when he did this...never gave me any cut either...bastard
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I won't let them take the Hoser, I'll buy it back.

Nice pic by the way, thanks. Hopefully I can post pics from work tomorrow.

Looking at the budget, I hope to avoid painting the car. I'll give a hell of a try to fix whats on there.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

Phew, jumped a hurdle today. Found out that the guy that killed the Hoser does have insurance.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

glad you got past that hurdle
                        Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

this thread seems remarkably devoid of photos.... photos or we call you a Camaro driver
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

All camaro's are red, or is it all red cars are camaro's?
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post
                              this thread seems remarkably devoid of photos.... photos or we call you a Camaro driver
                              Ah, I needed that spanking. I've had trouble posting pictures since I had the good computer violated by some internet pirate. I will do my best to get something on here.
                              I'm still learning

Comment

Working...
                              X