Project Red Baron (5k budget build)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Red Baron (5k budget build)

here is my entry to this madness a 1992 Chrysler LeBaron convertible with the Mitsubishi 3.0 v6 and 4 speed auto

the value is $500

here is what it looks like when i got the car last year

it is a base model but with the leather and the performance buckets with side bolsters so hey bonus

it also came with an external trans cooler installed by the perfidies owner so one less thing i have to buy. with a a604 this is vary common and recommended addition

fist thing i did did was it needed new struts the fronts where blown and where the factory installed units from 92. i bought a set of KYB shocks and struts (only aftermarket ones) on ebay for $89 shipped this included the rear shocks as well

it was not that easy break the bolts loose with not a lot of room

i also replaced the rubber fuel lines with A/N fittings and braided steel cost me $107 i also sold the horrible fart can that it came with to a local for $30 and bought a cheap turbo muffler for $20 off of craigslist

so current total
    car $500
    struts/shocks $89
    muffler $20
    old muffler -$30
    A/N fuel line $107

total so far $686

now the plan. i am going to be buying a 2.5L turbo 1 form a 89+ K-car or equivalent and a wiring harness from a 92+ so it will be plug an play an a413 from a 87+ turbo car and go from there. goal is to run 12.9 reliably at the track and still be a good DD
    Last edited by Mater; January 17, 2013, 05:50 AM.
    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Fantastic. I love turbo builds.
    I'm still learning

Comment

started to do a prelim budget to see what i can try and find a cheaper alternative for. so far the trans is goign to be the most costly but i expected that

89 turbo a413 $120 at a local yard
      full rebuild kit with 1 extra friction and steel per pack $349
      Manual Valve body revers pattern with full line pressure "PRN123" $239
      2800 stall converter $350

so looking at $1,058 before fluid. still cheaper then when i rebuilt the 4t65 in my old grand prix drag car and i may not even need the TC

engine suprisingly not as bad as i thought

87+ 2.5 turbo $300 (as the high side)
      92-95 harness $20
      92-95 ECU $25
      ebay front mount IC $120
      IC tubing $100
      junk yard 55lbs/hr injectors (stock are 36) $5 each so $20
      Manual boost controler $20
      ECU reflash fro the larger injectors and to allow 20+psi (stock is 7 for the non-intercooled 2.5)
      3" turbo back exhuast $120
      cone air filter $30
      PCV and pluming couplers for a CAI $20 (done it before on the GP)

so the engine is looking like $895 may have some wiggle room for a diffrent cylander head... maybe even a cam hmmm

suspention is actualy where the car has been neglected and actualy needs parts. the front ball joints are warn factoy installed units and all the bushings are dry rotted

poly sway bar bushings front and rear $46
      poly LCA bushings $79
      both ball joints $42
      panhard bar poly pushings $33
      rear trailing arm bushing kit $79
      1.25 front sway bar $199
      1" rear sway bar $189

so $667-ish fro the suspention of the car. i also plan on lowering it with a cut off wheel tot he coil springs

breaks i am only going to include the addition of rear discs i am just going to get stock rotors for the front and pads nothing fancy

rear caliper bracket $30 at junk yard for both sides
      rear loaded calipers $133
      rear rotors $52.48

so looking at $215.50 for the brakes

so it's looking like $3522 hmmm i like that gives me room incase something unfor seen happens
      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

not completely sure but if iirc (dangerous) the turbo minivan used that engine in the car now,,
        might see if you can find one in j/y and steal the plumb'n ect...
        turbo 6 instead of 4, and might be cheaper.. as u have the 6 in the car

Comment

the 6 needs a bit of work. it has no compretion on cylander 5 and it burns a lot of oil. so eathe route i go turbo 6 or the 4 it needs an engine and trans

and all the turbo vans i know of had eather the 2.2 turbo or 2.5 turbo
          Last edited by Mater; August 8, 2011, 02:03 AM.

Comment

u'r more than likely right..
            I'll ask my buddy that worked with me ,if he still has all that direct connection 2.2 turbo stuff..

Comment

That's a pretty comprehensive budget.. but it's missing a couple things
              - fake gold chains $10
              - toupee
              - bottle of fake tan $1.29 at Walmart
              - the t-shirt that says "sexy grandpa" $10.99 at Walmart

sorry.... couldn't resist because somewhere in Florida there's a grandpa that's missing his car

however, that will be a most awesome sleeper
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post
                That's a pretty comprehensive budget.. but it's missing a couple things
                however, that will be a most awesome sleeper
                x2! Should be a hella cool!

Comment

Its something nobody would suspect that is for sure. ITsw probably just the valve guides in the 3.0, there were horrible for dropping and making it smoke. If you saw a car or mini van with a 3.0 in it that wasnt smoking, it was probably out of oil.

Comment

funny you mention the grandpa comment lol

the first owner was a 80yr old man that bought it new and garaged kept it all it's life. that is why it is a rust belt car with zero rust it's an indiana car

and this car is on the same platform as the sportier Daytona it just get's over looked. it even had the turbo engine as an option from the factory

Last edited by Mater; August 8, 2011, 11:16 AM.

Comment

forgot the guages event hough they could be argude for safty

EGT guage $59
                      Boost guage $25
                      wide band O2 $300
                      tachometer (i have none stock and manual shifting the auto one would be usefull) $20
                      two 2 guage pods $80

$484 for gauges bringing it up to $4006

Comment

needs more hemi
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

well i am going to paint the 2.5L hemi orange close enough?

Comment

My boss had one nearly identical to yours. The engine torquing towards the windshield kept breaking the upper motor mount.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

looking at a possible engine today

also some one has offered me one of those AWD caravans if it's cheap enough budget AWD turbo Lebaron?
                              Last edited by Mater; August 18, 2011, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X