Junkyard pony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junkyard pony

I guess I will bite. Going to start with my 84 mustang gt. My vision is a little different than most. You always see these "junkyard builds" in magazines and the motors never make it in the car. And they never include half the parts. Well I am going to build a junkyard variation of a turbo 302. Will not be shooting for single digits but something respectable on the track and be able to cruise home with the a\c on.

The 1st stage of the build will consist of acquiring the rest of the efi parts for my roller 302 motor. Get that all figured out while add subframes connectors and continue acquiring turbo parts. Still trying to figure what I will use but I do know gt40(p) heads with explorer intake.

I will post up my budget when I get it all figured out.
    I do have quite a bit of saftey work to do before I even think about a trip to the strip. Tires alignment brakes things like that.
    Jeff
    Follow My Build

Cool! Looking forward to this one too!
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Why the Explorer intake?
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
        Why the Explorer intake?
        It's basically the same as a FMS Cobra / GT40 intake for 300.00 less. It's one of the best all around'ers for the SBF. It's good for about 15-20hp over the Mustang manifold from the tests I've seen, and if doesn't lose anything down low.

In 97 I think they went to an external EGR setup for them, the 96 was still internal.

A small (60-66mm) turbo will be close to block splitting power for the 302. Good thing there are a gozillion of them out there for 100.00 or less.
        Last edited by Beagle; August 19, 2011, 05:05 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The two explorer motors that I bought had P heads and internal egr intakes!
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Interesting! I wonder when they did the changeover? Mine was from a 2k mountaineer, external.

The other thing is they come with 65mm throttle body where the Mustang was a 58mm I think?

Comment

Beags. Hit it on the nose with the intake. I also want to get some gt40 (p) heads as they are also a cheap improvement over stock. A lot of mustangs start out with those improvements so that's were I will start. I just got done removing the 1/2" weld slag on my free 85 factory headers so they will breath even better than stock. If I remember correctly the stock pieces alone are worth 15 hp.

I plan on working on my budget for this this weekend. Also need to get over to the scrapyard to start pulling a harness and computer.
              Jeff
              Follow My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                Interesting! I wonder when they did the changeover? Mine was from a 2k mountaineer, external.

The other thing is they come with 65mm throttle body where the Mustang was a 58mm I think?
                I thought the HO TB was a 60mm? The explorer tb will bolt up but the tube is missing and the cable attachment is diffrent.
                They had some internal egrs left over and used them until the new cheaper intakes were made. I was told mine where 97 and 98 but who knows.

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Russel is making a living on correcting me. Lol. I'd heard or read 58 from somewhere, it's always been the number that got stuck in my head. So I decided to check it. This is off of my '90 LX 5.0 - I don't know if you can see the lip where the throttle blade is, but the outer part is about 61.1mm and based on what I just measured, the Throttle blade is right at 60mm... doh. Sooo... yah, you're right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0223-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	857264

I can't remember what I had to fab to get the 65 off the Exploder to work with the F150 it went in, but it wasn't a huge deal. I had to butch something up for the aod cable iirc.
                  Last edited by Beagle; August 25, 2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Don't spend a bunch of time worrying about the throttle body. The air is denser given the turbo, so you can make a shit load more power with a smaller TB. I've made over 400 ft lbs of torque with a 58 mm TB.

Just run a boost gauge before the TB then compare it to one after the TB, only worry if you've got a lower number after the TB.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

I have actually read that a stock throttle body and stock explorer intake is fine. That a different size throttle body does not make a difference in basic " beginner turbo".

At least thats what 5.0 and super fast fords says.
                      Jeff
                      Follow My Build

Comment

I'd go along with that, makes sense. It'll become a real restriction at some point (like where you split the block type HP), but in the mean time all that will happen is you will probably see more boost psi on a gauge than with a bigger TB.

Holdener's atmosphere theory always made sense to me. If you make 300 n/a and add an atmosphere, you should see around 600, so the stronger it runs n/a, the stronger it runs under boost.

What I like about that is most turbos of the right size for a 302 will make more than enough boost to create a two piece block.
                        Last edited by Beagle; August 27, 2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Correct. I see no need in my application where I would need more power than what it takes to split a block.
                          Jeff
                          Follow My Build

Comment

Russel is making a living on correcting me. Lol. I'd heard or read 58 from somewhere, it's always been the number that got stuck in my head. So I decided to check it. This is off of my '90 LX 5.0 - I don't know if you can see the lip where the throttle blade is, but the outer part is about 61.1mm and based on what I just measured, the Throttle blade is right at 60mm... doh. Sooo... yah, you're right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4405[/ATTACH]

I can't remember what I had to fab to get the 65 off the Exploder to work with the F150 it went in, but it wasn't a huge deal. I had to butch something up for the aod cable iirc.
                            Well I guess I need to keep mouth shut. When I went to picked up an 86 V8 T5 that turned out to be an 85 2.3 TC. The stock TB and EGR where in the trunk I picked them up for $20 figured they where worth that to not have get the one off of Dad's intake when we put the explorer intake on. Well I measured it. The back of the TB is 58mm the egr is 59 on one side and 55 one the. I did not know that there was a taper. I was thinking about having the egr bored out to 65 and use the explorer tb. Is there some need for the taper? It looks like it will be enough metal to make it larger I have heard of others being bored out.

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                            X