65 LeMans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 LeMans

Hell, might as well just do this with it. For now, this one is back burner since I have two GTOs getting work, one an engine/transmission, the other getting everything.

Engine as yet is unknown other than it will most definitely be a Pontiac, and quite a few parts will end up on the GTO. What those parts would have cost me is considerably more than what I paid for this car. There is some rust in the trunk, floors look good, and the window channels need some attention soon, but at least they arent completely gone like the other 65. The rust is minimal to me, but really I want to fix it.

It still might end up getting a frame off so I can rebuild the suspension and make sure the frame isnt rusted bad anywhere. That isnt a big deal for me, and it doesnt cost much to replace bushings and ball joints. I think there might be some left over suspension pieces from other A body projects. I have a 2400 stall in a Th400 and the 9" sitting at the farm, dont have much in those at all, maybe $300 total. Its nice having a bunch of parts laying around to fit these cars, and of course not needing this one to be perfect or even nice unless I get bored over the winter.

Thoughts for an engine include but are not limited to :

1. Stroked 400 to 496, lots of compression but made to look like the stock 326 including the exhaust manifolds. Think ultimate sleeper, and I wouldnt even bother to fix all the rust, and just leave it the faded yellow it is now.

2. The spare 455 I just pulled from the GTO, with a couple upgrades like forged rods and pistons, or just like it is but with some new valve springs. Its a healthy 450hp/500ftlbs engine with no problems, and it runs great on pump gas or E85. Maybe swap the 670 heads on it when the 48s are done and run the 2.93 geared rear the 70 had under it for years. I traded a pair of used tires for that rear.

3. Whatever I can piece together based on whatever block I have laying around, just rebuild it cheap except for forged rods instead of stockers because they cost about the same and its one less thing to worry about. Maybe it will get a 4" crank instead of the 4.21 I usually go with, making it a 421/428.

Whatever I do with it, I can do it cheap because I have so much stuff laying around from years ago in my horse trading days. The thought has occurred to me that I could get some fabric from Walmart and resin from Lowes then lay up some bumpers, fenders, doors, and hood to significantly lighten it. Imagine a street going 550hp/600ftlb LeMans with only 2800lbs to push around... all built from whatever I can find.

That's a great looking car.

I'd really enjoy seeing you lay up some body panels. That's something I've always wanted to learn to do.
    I'm still learning

Comment

I think this one will get a quick once over, nothing special body wise just stop the rust. I have a can of paint I got free that is close to that yellow, so it most likely wont get much more than a couple patch panels.

Crawled under it today, the floors look solid. the frame is good, but the fuel line is copper. This thing will make a great low buck street toy, its definitely going in the shop over the winter.

Comment

It looks like it belongs in the yard now... Also discovered it has air bags in the rear springs! BONUS!

Comment

Slots make just about anything look good!
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

any updates ? how is that other 65 doing ?

Comment

Winter has left and 45-70 degree weather is here now, so back to the shop we go.

Right now the plan is: Yank almost all the parts off this one that the GTO needs, put the 326/ST300 in the corner and dump in a 455/th400. The heads are going to be the 72cc 670s that have been ported, and it will run on E85 due to 11.3:1 scr. I have a choice of rear ends, the 2.93 geared Olds or a 3.25/3.55 geared 9" I picked up at a swap meet for $150. I have four locking diffs for the 9" and just as many gearsets between 3.00 and 4.11. Then there is a choice of 2200 or 3000 stall that is laying around here.

I have been thinking of a glass front end from VFN, and possibly glass doors with lexan for side and rear glass. It would add $2k to what I have in it, so it is only legal if I can count the parts I got with this car for the GTO as a credit. If I had to buy all the parts I am taking off new, it would be over $5k, used maybe $3k, so that is some gray area. I can always make the fenders and doors myself, then buy a hood and bumper.

This might not be fair because I have a ton of parts that can make a 4000lb car run 11s, just sitting here used and waiting for a chance to run again. Even if I wanted to build a new engine I would really only need some forged rods, new pistons, rings, bearings then turn and balance the crank. Figure $800-$1000 for that. Most of the parts either came off parts cars, or were traded/bought dirt cheap, so I have next to nothing in them. I might be the only guy who can do a frame off rebuild on an old Pontiac for less than $5k and make it run at least low 12s easily.

So here are the pics of the teardown today and yesterday.

GTO parts.

not nearly as bad as the GTO was floorpans.

Comment

The floors look fantastic!
                HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                DW- 12,16,17
                "Stay thirsty my friends"
                The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Compared to teh GTO they do, still have a couple spots that need patches.

Comment

Pulled the grill and almost yanked the fenders. Need parts in there so it has to come apart. The grill surround is in much better shape than the other one I have, so its going on the GTO. This one will get the Tempest grill if it doesnt get a glass front end.

I think some F body spindles with discs will be just the ticket instead of these tiny drums. Might just have to make this thing handle like a new Vette, well if the Vette had a solid axle under it.

Comment

Ditch the drums. I have extra f-body stuff you are welcome too if needed. I sent you a pm.
                      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                      DW- 12,16,17

Comment

I'm all for old school - but drums on anything with power just suck out loud. Ditch the front drums and the single pot master cylinder if it still has one.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I am unfond of drums, so it will definitely get some discs from somewhere. That means dual MC too, and a prop valve. Had fun pulling more GTO parts off this beastie. Found some more rust but now that I have done it once its no big deal. If I pick up another quarter panel and front fender patches I could have this thing squared away in a couple weeks, even taking the body off the frame. No need to blast everything unless it really needs it, and most of the car is in good shape. The wiring is in better shape than my 67 Cougar was 30 years ago when I bought it. All this needs is some sanding, a bit of welding, brakes and a new drivetrain. Almost all of it is laying around here.

Here is what I got done today.

Yanked the brake booster and steering column after getting the fenders out of the way. Daves car will be column shift, this one will get a shifter that has been sittin here a while that I pulled out of a beater we scrapped. Eyeing those exhaust manifolds, thinking they would be nice and quiet on the GTO. No cracks visible, will see once I pull them off.

Pulled the dash completely apart, all that needs to come out now is the heater box. That is first thing tomorrow. Found some rust in the drivers side kick panel, easy fix once its clean. I was surprised at how easy it all came out.

Found out when this car was built. First shift on Sunday December 18, 1964. So its midyear, and interestingly that is Brad Pitts birthday. It had this stamp on the cowl behind the wheel well.

Now to figure out if I want to run a steel front end or a glass one... I suppose I could pick up some more resin and a bolt of cloth and build some fenders and doors for it. Might have to try that.

Comment

I have wanted to build glass front fenders for my 71 Tempest. If you do it, I would love to see how they turn out.
                            HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                            DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Now its about time to push this one out of the shop and swap places with the GTO. Its hard not starting to sand and cut on it yet, need to finish the GTO first. There are still things I can do with this one while waiting for stuff on the other one, and since it will be inside I can work on either easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X