Tedly's Bluebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tedly's Bluebird

Throwing my hat in the ring with the Bird, just for fun. It's my daily driver and will continue to be used for the 100+ mile round trip commute to work, so minimal downtime, reliability, and low buck solutions will be the order of the day. I want to see what I can do to wake up the 3.8 since it will be awhile before I can swap an 8 into it. That 6 cylinder is a friggin slug and I want a little more power.

Starting point is a bone stock 97 Thunderbird V6 for $1100.

I'm probably wrong

So pill it til you kill it is really not a good plan.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

it would not take much lol the head gaskets like to go out witht he stock power and crack the heads
      Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Head gaskets were replaced recently if I'm not mistaken, and nitrous is a little far down the list. Lots of other little tweaks and stuff I can do first. I just want to challenge myself and see what I can do with what I've got. I've been out of the game too damn long.
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

I totally love these things - I look forward to following this thread.

DD status prevents you from going gonzo on the rear axle gearing - that would certainly wake up the acceleration - perhaps move up to a 3.73 as to not kill the highway mileage?

How different were the supercoupe engines internally? I wonder how hard it would be to put a super coupe super charger / intake / etc on an existing 3.8....
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Already looked into it, the SC engines were almost totally different from mine so no go. One thing I'm looking into right now is swapping it over to a stick. I could tweek the slushbox, but I want a damn manual transmission and plan on swapping one when I drop in the 8 anyway. Just gotta figure out what is involved with this swap, I already know I'll have to pull the dash to get the clutch pedal in correctly.
            Last edited by tedly; August 17, 2011, 02:35 PM.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

thinking out loud..
              is the head gasket issue on these, a reaction from the tty bolts, would arp studs fix this, if so, and I'd think with studs and good gaskets, you could bolt on a s/c and go..

Comment

Do you want to put a push rod or over head cam when you do the swap?

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                  hahaha, I think the 5.4 you need a sawsall

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                    I bet there is room for a DOHC 4.6 and a vortec

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

ya the linc. had a 4.6 but it is tight

Comment

thinking out loud..
                        is the head gasket issue on these, a reaction from the tty bolts, would arp studs fix this, if so, and I'd think with studs and good gaskets, you could bolt on a s/c and go..
                        The whole engine is different - heads, intake, internals, etc... The only way to really do it is to swap the whole SC engine. If I'm going to the trouble of swapping engines I'm going with something I want - a V8.
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Not quite sure yet. I know the Windsors pretty well and they would be cheaper, but I keep coming back to the 32 valve. I'll just see what I can get when the time comes.
                          I'm probably wrong

Comment

There is, studying how to do it as we speak.
                            I'm probably wrong

Comment

no they make and intake that allows it to fit under the hood
                              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Working...
                              X