This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    While I understand that (how do I say this delicately?) sometimes projects take far longer than originally envisioned
    shit, I haven't even begun to take Monica's car apart yet. How's the Fiat?
    Last edited by Beagle; October 16, 2012, 11:43 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      haven't had the car a year yet.... I don't think I'm doing too bad for a working Dad with a wife that travels a lot.
      oh don't get me wrong, I think you're flying on your project; especially given the amount of time available to do such fun things.... still, my guess, you'll run it next year on drag week and finally be done with it just in time for his first day of school in kindergarten.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        shit, I haven't even begun to take Monica's car apart yet. How's the Fiat?
        just as fast as the Buick, your point?
        That said, last I checked, it was just as fast as every project you've started on here
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 16, 2012, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
          So how is the competiton stacking up? I have around 3k in my Capri it went 143 mph
          i have less then 700 in the lebaron and it is no where near even close

on the other hand i have 1800 (what i paid for the thing) in the grand prix and it goes low 14's lol

ie it's stock
          Last edited by Mater; October 17, 2012, 03:27 AM.
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

In my opinion, I have the fastest pro-jackstand Mustang on here.
            I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              just as fast as the Buick, your point?
              That said, last I checked, it was just as fast as every project you've started on here
              Monica's moves under it's own power! I have gotten around to immobilizing it yet. :P

Comment

Monica's moves under it's own power! I have gotten around to immobilizing it yet. :P
                It's just a matter of time my friend.

Comment

Monica's moves under it's owners' power! I have gotten around to immobilizing it yet. :P
                  There SBG fixed it for ya!

No offense Beags, my fox hasn't moved under its own power since I've had it, and that has been a few years now.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
                    I love looking at all the stuff guys do to keep costs down, and I'm all for using up my leftover parts stash, but somewhere along the line, it's sad to admit I lost my taste for the kind of machine I would end up with for 5K.

Last year, in a multicar trade with 2 of my brothers, I ended up with the 67 Belvedere that one of them had just finished Drag Week 2011 with. As a point of reference I gave up 4K in boot, and a clean, painted, project 70 Barracuda. I then dumped 3150 dollars in parts alone into it before my daughter drove it on Drag Week 2012. I still have improvement plans tha will keep me wrenching and spending on it right up until Drag Week 2013.

Where did I go wrong???
                    Going back a couple days... Bill I think you just started out with too nice of a car that someone wanted more money for. There is a reason I am not using some others I have, mainly I have too much in them already. Its not the kind of project you start with a $4000 car, its the kind you start with a $500 or less car. I have traded a pair of seats that I got free for a car that would work great for this, its a 71 Ventura, all manual and originally had a 6 in it. Its a 9" rear from being a drag car with an engine/trans I have laying around. I could stuff a $4000 650hp engine in it and run bottom tens real easy, and that would be the only thing I have to buy for it. Its fun to build a car on a budget when you have next to nothing in the car.

Anyway, the LeMans will be a decent looking car, have quite a bit of power, and it should drive quite well once its all done. Its in the shop for the winter, up on dollies, about to pull it apart and start fixing rust and taking it to bare metal. The engine is on a cart waiting to go in, but I think I will blast the frame and paint it first. I have gotten spoiled working on clean stuff lately, so this one will get a frame off too. For me that isnt a big deal, its just cleaning and painting with cheap tractor enamel.

I went 11.71@115 for around $4500 in an over geared 3800lb car, it ran out of steam at the 1000' mark. The LeMans should be quite a bit closer to 3000lbs and geared right for the powerband, and running a very similar engine. The only problem it might have is getting it to hook.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                      There SBG fixed it for ya!

No offense Beags, my fox hasn't moved under its own power since I've had it, and that has been a few years now.
                      hers runs, and my office looks like the Summit warehouse with all the 351 junk for it. I won't take it apart until I make the black one run. I had big plans for the last couple of weeks but life gets in the way. I took my dad down to Houston last week, lost an Aunt very unexpectedly, services tomorrow. I have a week off at the end of October though, so maybe... just maybe.

Comment

My REO should fit under the 5K build but it would only win an incredibly sloooooow race. Or get someone elses car to a race slowly.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wagon.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1060777 Say hello to my little friend... $950 into it so far... including the rotisserie. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04154.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	1060778
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Ron Ward; September 30, 2015, 04:33 PM.
                          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

That's nice Ron!
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                              That's nice Ron!
                              Thanks! Thinking I'm going to do the Rustoleum and a paint roller technique.

What I REALLY want to do is my own interior. Upholstery is TERRIBLY expensive. I'm gonna figure out a cheap, yet aesthetically pleasing method to do interior…. Either that, or we sit on milk crates.

Can you say big block and a 4-speed? I can…. it's gonna happen…. soon.

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I think the trick to winning this game is to find the coolest ground zero car you can possibly find, if your skills are really there the car will be worth every penny of 5k and then some when done, I'd like to see it worth twice that.
                                Last edited by G-Motive; October 2, 2015, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X