Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

62 Falcon - $5k challenge, how will it rise from the ranger's ashes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on my calendar now!
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Image may contain: car and text
      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
      DW- 12,16,17
      "Stay thirsty my friends"
      The worlds most interesting man

Comment

• this car is still sitting patiently waiting for me to deal with the rest of my life and return some attention to it.... will we make "Summit drag week" this summer? we signed up, but only time will tell if we actually make it.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Remember, every little bit is progress! That one little thing you do today is one step closer to being ready.
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• Well folks - as project cars often do - this one's life is about to change, all while staying in the greater BangShift family!

Comment

• So how do we assign a thread to a new user? This falcon is now in the hands of Matt's brother Terry who will surely breath new life into this thing - and take it through the goal posts of project completion.

Comment

• Is it possible to "re-assign" the author of a thread? I suppose Terry could just start updating here. I am still finding parts for this thing as I go through the process of trying to get the shop set up. It's been painfully lengthy process, but I'm finally starting to see substantial parts of the floor that have been covered in boxes and bins and what not for years.

Quick recap of somewhat recent developments as I've not been on here much:

yellow 5 window - SOLD

62 flamed white falcon - SOLD

62 Tbird - finally starting to get some attention, accell points eliminator and coil installed, valve covers blasted and painted, intake painted (in place) some wiring replaced that had horribly cracked insulation. etc Still need to do the front disc brake and dual master cylinder swap, and get some new tires. I'm putting the salt flat special wheels on it.. gotta love finding a set of $500 wheels for $300 for the set of four!

49 F3 - still gotta finish the front disc brake conversion and the under floor dual master swap. I picked up a flathead, a set of edelbrock heads and dual 94 intake - but I'm torn about going through the time and expense to go through it - we'll see.

69 Muastng Mach1 - still sitting... waiting my HS buddy that paints cars full time in NW Indiana is going to do the body and paint - I'm on his waiting list. It will go back to the original color (champagne gold, white seats)

70 Mustang fastback - picked up this summer long story, way too good of a deal to pass up - last registered in 94, front disc and dual master swap is done, found a gearstar AOD, and FAST EFI set up from a guy in Toledo for $1200 all in. Going to put in the AOD soon, but wait on the EFI for a bit. Picked up a first gen bronco 9" - need to swap the spring perches and go through it - got a set of used nascar 3.56 gears for that. also picked up a sweet set of ansen polished slots - they look fantastic on the car. they are wrapped with 2006 BGFTA's ... I'm going to roll the dice and run them for a while... no signs of cracks of any kind.

66 comet 202 we picked up to be Lee's first car - he's 12, not showing a ton of interest in it yet - but I hope to spend some time on it this summer - it's the only one sitting outside.

Shell Valley cobra kit - another one that was too good to pass up - bought as a roller with a 390 / toploader and a horrible race weight flimsy glass body. Sold the body. Sold the 390 FE, got a 393 stroker for $500 a guy had to sell as he was moving - going to build that with a set of AFR heads, and a hydraulic roller cam, lakewood bell housing and a Tremec TKO. It will be over 200lb lighter than the FE it's replacing, and greatly improve the overall weight distribution of the car. Picked up a new body from Shell Valley complete with doors, trunk, hood, etc. Started the process of sanding off the mold lines, going to put some duraglass here and there where needed to clean up where it's not straight, shoot a few coats of filler primer on it, then tractor enamel - then have it wrapped. Going with a silver/blue metallic wrap. Black center minilite wheels are on it and will be used - tires are like new but are way old so I'll have to replace them. QA1 coil overs and disc brakes on all four corners. 9" solid rear axle with triangulated 4 link rear. Should be a barrel of monkeys fun to drive. The wood dash, seats, gauges, etc all came with the car, so it's a big heathkit - "some assembly required!

Comment

• Dude, you can still find stuff out here in the desert but good luck trying to find an old Mustang Fastback. I'd be all over those.

Comment

• The 70 I have in the project car section here literally found me, a friend of a friend had it, rather interesting guy- just plain hates dealing with the public. Parked the car over a rubber matt in his attached garage sometime in 1994 covered it with a sheet, and never touched it again. A mutual friend asked me to go take a look and we struck a deal - but I had to buy both cars in the garage - the other was a 2002 mustang GT convertible I had no interest in whatsoever - so I got it road worthy (new battery, tires, front brakes, tune up, drain old gas etc) and sold it.

Comment

• this thing - as is usual for midwestern cars - had way more hidden rust than originally thought - it's in the process of getting full floors, torque boxes, front frames, and 1x2 tubing inside the front frames running all the way back to the front of the rear leaf spring eye to form "frame connectors" time will tell - but this thing should be pretty good with the old school 302 rebuild complete with vintage edelbrock intake, motorsport valve covers, and chrome oil pan and alternator.... the leaking like a seive C4 has been replaced with an upgraded AOD, and the 8 inch highway geared open diff has been replaced with a 9" with 3.70 gears and a ratchet locker upgrade..... now just to find the time and motivation to complete this SOB

Comment

• ouch.... maybe find an Arizona shell?
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Still - life is happening - Lee is almost 14 and is looking me in the eye, weighing in over 225lb and is dragging me into the gym a few nights a week to get ready for HS football next year.

The 70 fastback (originally a "grabber appearance package" I didn't know existed) has taken up semi-permanent residence on a hoist in the shop where the driver side floor / front frame section / toe board / frame connector are over half done - not going to start on the passenger side - or rotten front trunk floor / shock mount - until the driver side is done - taking it one section at a time to attempt to keep the rest of the car from moving around on me.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                            Still - life is happening - Lee is almost 14 and is looking me in the eye, weighing in over 225lb and is dragging me into the gym a few nights a week to get ready for HS football next year.

The 70 fastback (originally a "grabber appearance package" I didn't know existed) has taken up semi-permanent residence on a hoist in the shop where the driver side floor / front frame section / toe board / frame connector are over half done - not going to start on the passenger side - or rotten front trunk floor / shock mount - until the driver side is done - taking it one section at a time to attempt to keep the rest of the car from moving around on me.
                            I built bars from the door hinge mounts to the door striker mounts and then a cross bar between them to hold the MGB in alignment as I welded the structure back in it. I THINK it worked well but I'll get back to you when I'm fitting the doors! The MGB was one of the earliest unibody designs in the "modern" era (at least for the Brits) and luckily they over designed the heck out of it or it would have been in two pieces by the time it came to me. Anyhow - the bars are a thought for this project.

And yes, Lee IS a big lad!
                            Last edited by DanStokes; December 25, 2023, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X