1960 Bel Air...Finned crew cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Bel Air...Finned crew cab

It all started with a bid on Ebay with 7 seconds to go. One bid, one shot, if I win it I win it, if not, walk away.
    Well you know the answer or I would not start this thread. The bid was $1320.00. Miss Daisy was waiting 2 1/2 hours away. One owner, 62,414 miles, Tasco turquoise two tone with a white tail and roof. I got with the car the invoice from the dealer in the deal jacket where bought new and the receipt for the check the lady wrote.
    The owner passed away in 1994 and the car sat out of the weather since. The car is 100% complete. I got the 283 running and it does not smoke, but it is 51 years old and tired. Plans are to use up stuff in the shop, a 350 fresh built flat top motor with a thumpr cam, a 700r4, some 8" rallies with fatties.
    Lots mor to say but will save for later posts. If pictures don't show up, someone needs to remind me how...
    Don
    "Big cars need lovin too"

Don

Comment

Sweet!
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

awesome i love more doors
        Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Awesome!

Ever since I saw Jeepers Creepers, I wanted one of those....
          Local person
          sigpic

Comment

nice score
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Very nice and super clean!
              HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
              DW- 12,16,17
              "Stay thirsty my friends"
              The worlds most interesting man

Comment

cool, every now and then i see a guy drivng a 4 door 60 with ny plates on it, flat black with black 70ish 5 spoke z28 wheels on it.

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments. It is in pretty good shape. There is some bad though, after the owner passed on it was moved to a pole barn where it lived for 16 years. They had a saw mill operation in this barn and sawdust piled up under the rear of the car. The trunk floor will have to be replaced as well as the rear floor pans. This will be a big job. Good news is that the rest of it is solid. The frame is perfect. Even the front fenders have no rust in them. The only rust through in the body is a hole about the size of your fist in the rear 1/4s behind the wheel opening.
                  Don

Comment

Some inspiration.

Comment

Sweet mother of curved windshiedls! nice score!

Look at all the room in that engine compartment!
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Looks great, love that body style!

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam View Post
                          Some inspiration.

Sweet...just what I needed, although now I want to chop the top (and will run out of talent and over 5 grand)
                          Don

Comment

The next thing is where I need opinions. Trying to get a mental picture as to how this thing will look when finished. I do my own paint and body so painting is no problem. The thing that caught my eye in the beginning was the color. They just don't make turquoise cars anymore. BUT hot rod black is tugging at me. The interior will remain turquoise. The wheels and tires will be 15x8 rallies with disc brake centers (what I have for 0 dollars) if it matters. Not building a show car or a rat rod and not building to sell. I have to consider if I do sell it in the future I need to protect my investment. Not to mention 4 doors. Give me some ideas...
                            Don

Comment

Tried on a wheel, fits but all it will hold. 295/50r15 tire. looks tubbed..

The engine...Zero cost..entered a car show about 5 years ago and they drew my number out of a hat. .030 over 1970 350. Built by a well known machine shop in the area. Swapped the cam to a Comp Thumpr that I bought for another project. Not sure about the valve covers and shiney intake. I have a Performer intake and some old style finned covers. Told you I am cleaning out the shop for this one.
                              Don

Comment

Working...
                              X