• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice!
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Engine and transmission is out. Cleaning and scraping 51 years of crap under the hood. Maybe over the
      weekend I can get some primer under the hood. Since I got no suggestions, I have picked the color. PPG
      hot licks colors has a bright tourquoise that pops and still looks right for the car. I used the hot licks color
      "hot red" on my Impala so I decided to stay with the custom color thing for this project. Bought a quart to cut
      in the firewall and use on the door jambs. Maybe a cream color on the roof and rear panel. Now that I have a
      picture in my mind I can move on with this beast.

Don
      "Big cars need lovin too"

Comment

Oh boy. Oh boy. Another big ole Impy project. I'm a happy camper now.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

metal flake the roof, and layer some striping on it with candy. i like the turquois idea, but not the big fat tires.

Comment

I've been sick with the flue for the holidays and you're kicking tail on this thing.

I'm really liking the original color idea - I feel the same way about my falcon. Great that you already had the engine - I agree on the shiney - nice - but not for this car - if you have a more vintage looking choice on hand, I'd agree 100 % to go with the older looking stuff.

Are the rallyes gray centers with chrome trim rings?

I say no to the flake and stripes, keep the paint as it was originally, just new, the flakes and stripes are already over done like flat black... but that's just me.
            Last edited by milner351; January 1, 2012, 01:35 PM.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

flat black is definitely played out. but then again everything is...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                Oh boy. Oh boy. Another big ole Impy project. I'm a happy camper now.
                I thought you would like this one...Just something about the full sized cars. Have been lurking around for years
                following your 65 and 70.
                Don

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                  I've been sick with the flue for the holidays and you're kicking tail on this thing.

I'm really liking the original color idea - I feel the same way about my falcon. Great that you already had the engine - I agree on the shiney - nice - but not for this car - if you have a more vintage looking choice on hand, I'd agree 100 % to go with the older looking stuff.

Are the rallyes gray centers with chrome trim rings?

I say no to the flake and stripes, keep the paint as it was originally, just new, the flakes and stripes are already over done like flat black... but that's just me.
                  Hope you feel better soon! I am not that quick, had help getting the engine and trans out. Yep, turquoise is made for this car. Kinda going for the "granny-rod" look. the rallies are silver with the trim rings and disc brake caps. The 295/50 tires are needed on the back to keep it from looking like a parade float.
                  Last edited by Impalarod; January 1, 2012, 06:24 PM.
                  Don

Comment

Well 51 years of dirt, grime, and grease are history and a little primer sprayed. Plan to shoot the firewall body color after some sanding and maybe another coat of primer. Again, not going for show stuff, just like it neat under the hood.
                    Have been gathering parts. I have a 605 box and adapter bracket that I removed from my 63 when I changed it over to a CPP box. I got a short water pump power steering pump, pulleys, and brackets from a friend for $40. Ordered the rag joint from CPP off of Ebay at 20% off..$45. Got the trunk floor panels (3 pieces) from a guy in Detroit selling on Ebay, $228. to the door and rear floor pans from the same guy $120 to the door.
                    Now to see if anyone is reading this...
                    I have a new pair of Hedman headers and a new dual exhaust with 40 series Flowmasters that I removed from a 59 Impala. The car now has ram horns on it with a very solid dual system with stock mufflers. The Flowmaster system was bent by a local exhaust shop and is only 2 - 2 1/4 inch pipe. Do I leave the stock system on or use the header combo that I have had 4 years? It is a driver, and I like a rumbling exhaust, but I am concerned about the pipe size. Don't want it to sound like a log truck with straight pipes...
                    Last edited by Impalarod; January 10, 2012, 05:33 PM.
                    Don

Comment

Are you asking if the 2 or 2 1/4 inch diameter pipe is too small to run with your proposed engine combination?
                      or
                      Are you asking if the 40 series flowmasters will be too loud for the theme of this car?

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        Are you asking if the 2 or 2 1/4 inch diameter pipe is too small to run with your proposed engine combination?
                        or
                        Are you asking if the 40 series flowmasters will be too loud for the theme of this car?
                        More the loud and theme of the car issue, the engine is going to be basicly stock with a bit of a lumpy idle, most likely will not need larger pipe. Thinking the diameter and length of the pipe may sound strange...but don't want it to sound like a Oldsmobile station wagon either. So i'm pondering
                        Don

Comment

I tend to be more conservative with exhaust, I much prefer warlock, magnaflow, hooker, "turbo" mufflers over any kind of flomaster variant, the flomaster drone gives me a headache quickly.

Comment

Well, I like the sound of the Flowmasters and headers, so that's the way I'd go with it....

Comment

Kind of agree with both of you. I have Flowmasters on both of my cars. The Camaro sounds awesome, the Impala has too much "payback" when accelerating. Both have 2 1/2 pipe but the Impala of course has longer pipes. As for the droan, I also agree, I managed to make it liveable with lots of fatmat on both cars. Think I would like to go for the deep not too loud way on this car. Never used Hookers, Magnaflow etc. My son put Magnaflows on his Mustang and it made a huge differance over the Flowmasters.
                              Don

Comment

turquois with white scallops...hmmm, customy.

I have 2.5" pipes, headers and flowmasters on my Fury, sounds great and due to (i believe) the lenght and h pipe the drone is hardly there.

cant wait to see more.
                                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                                X