X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Impalarod View Post
      Okay, the original plan was old school with 8" rallys, narrow trim rings, and baby moons....well I bought the caps and trim rings and instead of old school I am seeing old man. Not what I was looking for. Enter the swap meet in Moultrie Ga. the week before the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona. (huge 3 day deal) I have Coy's wheels on my Camaro and love them. Guess who has their fully stocked vendor trailer there....you guessed it...COYS.
      Well it's now 20x8.5 and 18x7 Coys C-5 wheels. Gonna have to start selling off some stuff to stay in the under 5000 budget. It is my wifes fault....she said that I would not be satisfied unless I got them, think I'll keep her around a little longer.

nice jewelry
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Don't have any but will try to get some. The Impala has 2 1/2 inch pipe and the mufflers are 40 series Flowmasters not in the factory spot but in a pocket under the back seat. Tail pipes are run over the axle just inside the wheel wells and dump at about a 45 degree angle just behind the rear tires.
        That sounds pretty much how I want to do the El Camino - pics would be great if you get chance

Comment

Okay, the original plan was old school with 8" rallys, narrow trim rings, and baby moons....well I bought the caps and trim rings and instead of old school I am seeing old man. Not what I was looking for. Enter the swap meet in Moultrie Ga. the week before the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona. (huge 3 day deal) I have Coy's wheels on my Camaro and love them. Guess who has their fully stocked vendor trailer there....you guessed it...COYS.
          Well it's now 20x8.5 and 18x7 Coys C-5 wheels. Gonna have to start selling off some stuff to stay in the under 5000 budget. It is my wifes fault....she said that I would not be satisfied unless I got them, think I'll keep her around a little longer.

Yeah! That's what I wanted for my Catalina, but just isn't in the budget yet....

Comment

Nice project...love what you're doing underhood and the Coy's are gorgeous.

So what do you think? Going for the chop Blazerteam tantalized you with in his earlier pic?
            Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
              Nice project...love what you're doing underhood and the Coy's are gorgeous.

So what do you think? Going for the chop Blazerteam tantalized you with in his earlier pic?
              First of all thanks..I'm liking where it's going as well..a little concerned about the buget though being a more door and all. But hey, I am going for different and I like it so full speed ahead.
              The chop that Blazerteam posted is grinding at me....that thing is so cool, but as much as I want to, due to talent and cash limitations that may not happen. I have a 70 Mach 1 waiting to be done after this one is finished, so after it I may pull the Bel Air back in and start cutting...for now I want to start driving this thing.
              Don
              "Big cars need lovin too"

Comment

Lordy - don't tell me what those wheels cost.... I got the summit 5 spokes "legends" pretty cheap - and they don't look that good.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                  Lordy - don't tell me what those wheels cost.... I got the summit 5 spokes "legends" pretty cheap - and they don't look that good.
                  Ha! Yeah..... see above comment about the budget . Just couldn't help it....Gonna get a little tight from here on...
                  Don

Comment

Well not getting a lot done due to Christmas and the birth of my first grand child. Not complaining, actually pretty dang proud. But before all of this got started I was able to get a few things accomplished. Scraped about a pound of dirt from the control arms and started converting to disc brakes, Also removed the spring and cut one coil. Left side is almost done.

Now for the other side, although have to get motivated again after 3 weeks out of the shop....
                    Don

Comment

How is the quality of those Coy Wheels?
                      Glenn

Comment

Been a while since I have updated so here we go. Still haven't started engine but have been working on brakes and suspension. Nothing fancy except I really like the disc brake kit from Right Stuff. Went together easily and even came with backing plates...nice kit.
                        Front end is lowered, brakes done, new shocks on, front wheels are on the car. Still have back brakes to do.
                        With help from my friend Bryan that can fabricate most anything, we are working on rusty floors and trunk. (sample picture below)
                        The outer body is in amazing condition as far as lack of rust but the floor pans were another story. Rear floor pans totaly flintstone. We have replaced all 4 pans. Hump and metal under seats were perfect. Found a good source for sheet metal...on Ebay...Classicparts4u...Not bad stuff, about 1/2 the price of anything else I have found and the guy ships quick. Made in USA. Currently working with the trunk floor...pictures coming soon...
                        Don

Comment

More progress...all cancer in the floors is cut out and history. Under back seat and the trans tunnel were in great shape. Can't say that about the floor pans. Had to replace all 4 as mentioned above. Here is the end result.

Although the floors aren't totally ready we moved on to the trunk.
                          The entire trunk floor is bad, all braces are good, so the cutting and welding has begun. Amazing how a thin, rusted out piece of metal can hang on with the factory spot welds. Here is where the blood part of blood, sweat, and tears comes in.
                          This is just some of what was cut out of the trunk.

The trunk floor comes in 3 sections, so far the center section is spotted in.

Tough area to repair, had to fab the section that covers the fille neck, Thanks again to my friend Bryan that has tons more skill in this area than I do.

The BAD news...
                          After some quick math, and some projections of money left to be spent, this project will be a major fail as far as being under 5k.

I have had to swallow hard and keep going...this will most likely be a head turning daily driver. I plan to drive this car everywhere, so 4 doors or not, I can't sacrifice safety or dependability, I will get my money's worth in fun...
                          Still no plans for paint...wife wants me to satin clear the patina...(she's been watching too much gas monkey garage with me)
                          So, If this needs to be moved to the project car section, feel free Mr. Moderator
                          Don

Comment

sell some stuff to recoup your money and it will be under 5K! lol, no one is looking...and I wont tell!
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

It happens to the best of us - nice work on the floors!

What changes are you making to make it more daily driver friendly? I was surprised to see how much some things have come down in price with competition, wiring harness kits, AC/Defrost kits, and steering columns among other things. Are you going to put a cage in it? 3 point belts?
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

YOu couldn't sell those old floorboards to some restorer guy? haha.
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X