1960 Bel Air...Finned crew cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
    YOu couldn't sell those old floorboards to some restorer guy? haha.
    Great idea Scott! Posting the pile on Craigslist today...

"Slightly used but not abused one owner natural patina floorpans for classic Chevy...$50.00"
    Don
    "Big cars need lovin too"

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      It happens to the best of us - nice work on the floors!

What changes are you making to make it more daily driver friendly? I was surprised to see how much some things have come down in price with competition, wiring harness kits, AC/Defrost kits, and steering columns among other things. Are you going to put a cage in it? 3 point belts?
      Thanks John...I have more pics to post...starting to come together. Well lets see....no cage, should be a little quick but not that quick. Three point belts...yes, already have them...that metal dashboard could hurt, so that is a must. It's the little things that will bust a budget, but ya can't just stop. The interior, even though not gonna be custom is going to add up quick but I want it to be kind of nice to offset the patina and faded paint on the exterior...
      Daily driver friendly stuff will include..Rebuilt quick ratio steering gear, good shocks, sway bars, overdrive trans with a somewhat loose converter to cover the cam...but not too loose, good brakes, and of course since I am down south ice cold air conditioning. Could have left some of these things off and threw a mexican blanket over the seats to stay well withing the budget but but but....
      Don

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
        YOu couldn't sell those old floorboards to some restorer guy? haha.
        If I could only find a likeness of the Pope, Jesus, or The Virgin Mary in any of this stuff......hmm think I'll take a look
        Don

Comment

Great work - I agree - the interior has to be decent. I look at some of the "seats" some guys run especially in the "rat rods" and wonder about their sanity. I'd rather pay a little more to get decent used comfy seats, than pay the chiropractor the cost of nice seats anyway!
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Jumping ahead just a bit, The seats are in upholstery jail. I have picked up the back seat and I think it will work. Lots to update but here is the seat...turquoise vinyl with a bluish greenish insert...Plain and simple but comfy
            Don

Comment

Looks fantastic!

Comment

Looking very nice! Let's see a few more pics.

Comment

More coming. That's about it on the interior stuff. Bits and pieces coming back from time to time. I went ahead and sent the seats to the guy ahead of time because I know that sometime that process runs a little long, and did not want to be waiting. Seems to be working because he just called and told me that the front seat is ready to be picked up. Door panels are next. Interested to see what he comes up with....I picked the materials for the interior and kinda turned him loose. I told him not over the top but something that would fit the car. I was very pleased when I saw them.
                  Don

Comment

More of the ugly......31 hours in the trunk floor alone.

Don

Comment

All of that to show this....sorry for the Photo dump, but it's a slow day at work today...

Don

Comment

wow. if you could do that that...maybe there is hope for my rusted hulk of a plymouth after all.
                        Last edited by JOES66FURY; March 21, 2013, 07:50 AM.
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

WELL DONE!

I like the bead rolls in the floors, lots cheaper than the catalogue stuff if it's even available.

Tin worms be dammed!

Comment

Great reconstruction! Good example of NOT letting perfect get in the way of done, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Thanks Guys! This is a new deal for me building a "natural" car. It IS hard to settle for less than perfect. I ran across some things that I would have otherwise replaced, but they still had plenty of life left in them so we cleaned them up ant let them eat. Let's put it like this...the car made it 53 years the first go around, this rebuild will outlast me so I don't feel bad. The beads did get the job done....Walked all over this thing and it's like walking on concrete. I guess with enough metal, wire, and gas there is hope for anything. Getting excited about this project now, starting to come together.
                              Don

Comment

Brought home the front seat today...
                                Don

Comment

Working...
                                X